Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

Typically I'm the type who skulks around the forums, so I don't really have a lot of posts but I'm here all the time.

ANYWAYS

I am seriously thinking of going matte black, but I'm stuck. Should I wrap it or paint it? I feel like wrapping it would be a good option, because I can just take it off if I get bored with it, but I hear it can be expensive. Plus, I'm thinking of putting vynal racing stripes on it and I'm not sure how it would interact with the wrap.

Painting is another good option, but I have no idea how to care for matte paint. Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Racing stripes shouldn't be a problem. I would think the flat black wrap would be a god idea if you think you might be bored with it after awhile. I'd think a solid color wrap would be less exsensive than a pattern as it would be easier to apply and less costly to make.

·
Super Moderator
17,549 Posts
I'd go wrap. If you ever get bored with it you can always remove it.

Wraps also protect your tridion paint from those hairline scratches that cars tend to get in short time...

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
What's the life expectancy of a wrap? Man, I saw a car at a show with matte-finish copper, and it was sick. I would LOVE to have something like that. Even my red on black would be awesome with both of them being a matte finish. I think it was really just the clear coat that was providing the matte finish, if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I wanted to get my car wrapped in a solid color as well, something funky like lime green or something. I checked out a place here in San Antonio about a month ago and they said it would run me around $1,700 to wrap the whole car in just one color. That seems a bit on the steep side, became discouraged and threw the idea out as a big fat no. If you discover that the cost should be waaayyyy cheaper than that, then let me know so I have an arguing point.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey Guys

Typically I'm the type who skulks around the forums, so I don't really have a lot of posts but I'm here all the time.

ANYWAYS

I am seriously thinking of going matte black, but I'm stuck. Should I wrap it or paint it? I feel like wrapping it would be a good option, because I can just take it off if I get bored with it, but I hear it can be expensive. Plus, I'm thinking of putting vynal racing stripes on it and I'm not sure how it would interact with the wrap.

Painting is another good option, but I have no idea how to care for matte paint. Does anyone have any experience with this?
If you go with a wrap, I HIGHLY recommend going with a 2 mil cast and NOT calendar. You will be glad you did when when you do the rear quarter panels. 3M makes a great product with pressure sensitive adhesive and its very forgiving during repositioning.

Clyde

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
chalkboard black wrap/paint?

I recall back when I had my PT Cruiser, I went to a PT Cruiser event.
A guy had a matte black cruiser that he let kids draw on with chalk.
The finish allowed him to hose it off and have a clean matte black car again.

He actually hosed it down several times during the day and let the kids get creative again and again.

I don't recall if it was wrap or paint, but I think it was wrap?

Anyone know where to source this type of wrap (Washington DC)? I am thinking it would make a great smart wrap for events and car shows that I visit?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I guess because our panels are relatively easy to remove, doing your own wrap would be much simpler, but this video showing how wraps are designed, printed, and applied pretty much scares me away from doing it myself.

Having your vehicle professionally painted or wrapped might be about the same cost? If so, I'd go paint, myself. (I'm talking about a solid color like the OP mentioned - obviously if you were wanting a complicated pattern, wrapping would cost MUCH MUCH less than having an artist custom paint your ride.)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I've been looking into the same subject over here in Blighty, and wrapping is the way to go, and it's a lot cheaper, I've got a quote of having the whole car wrapped except for the tridion cell that I want to leave black, for £500 in a single color, including matt, silver or gold or carbon effect is way too expensive and you would only put then on hi-end cars.
Here is a link to their site, look at their gallery for some awesome wraps.
Vehicle graphics, vehicle wrapping, for vans, cars, trucks and colour change

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I've been looking into the same subject over here in Blighty, and wrapping is the way to go, and it's a lot cheaper, I've got a quote of having the whole car wrapped except for the tridion cell that I want to leave black, for £500 in a single color, including matt, silver or gold or carbon effect is way too expensive and you would only put then on hi-end cars.
Here is a link to their site, look at their gallery for some awesome wraps.
Vehicle graphics, vehicle wrapping, for vans, cars, trucks and colour change
Wow - at THAT price, I would sure agree! Somebody else on this side was talking about $1,700, which is very close to the average professional paint job thru a car dealer, is why I was saying go paint if the price is the same.
500 pounds is $781 in USA dollars right now. (And for you headless, the $1,700 somebody else quoted is 1,087 pounds - sorry, I don't even know how to make that symbol. Mayhap it's just a key on your keyboard, like $ is on ours?)

So someone on this side needs to find a source for professional wraps at $780!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
alt + 3, I think: £
Hmmm, that didn't do anything for me, but I guess I had to figure it out now, and I found another thing that did work, hold the alt down and type 0163. And voila - £. There's like a delayed reaction between the final '3' and the symbol appearing in the SCOA post-box, but it does appear after a long second.

·
Registered
793 Posts
We had a smrt that was murdered out by his owner.. Even the trideon was painted flat black. Let me tell you it looked awsome! The murdered out smart took on a very menacing look. The owner painted it himself but he did have a booth in his back yard... Most of us don't have that luxury.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
We have £ and $ on our British keyboards!!
I was thinking of having the front bonnet and the whole back end done in black with the rest in my original dark blue after seeing a Bugatti Veyron, that's how the paint scheme goes on that car and it looks awesome.
I think it would transfer well onto the roady

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the advice guys.. actually I am a graphic designer.. so I mocked up what I want it to look like in the end :)

It will be a play on hi-gloss black with matte black. The stripes, tridion cell, rims, and headlights will be shiny black, and the panels will be matte. I am also thinking of doing some chrome accents like the grille and side mirrors.

I think you're right. I am looking into that 3m wrap. I think the best part is if I'm sick of it I can just peel it off, and being as fickle as I am that will probably happen.

I also was tinkering around with my smart this afternoon, installing a new horn and I'm surprised how easy it is to take apart. Might be a cool project to do on my own with a heat gun and a lot of patience. Doesn't look that hard

·
Super Moderator
17,549 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys.. actually I am a graphic designer.. so I mocked up what I want it to look like in the end :)

It will be a play on hi-gloss black with matte black. The stripes, tridion cell, rims, and headlights will be shiny black, and the panels will be matte. I am also thinking of doing some chrome accents like the grille and side mirrors.

I think you're right. I am looking into that 3m wrap. I think the best part is if I'm sick of it I can just peel it off, and being as fickle as I am that will probably happen.

I also was tinkering around with my smart this afternoon, installing a new horn and I'm surprised how easy it is to take apart. Might be a cool project to do on my own with a heat gun and a lot of patience. Doesn't look that hard

YouTube - Matte Flat Black Smart Car Vinyl Sticker Wrap
OOOOOH!

Can you mock me up a dark red smart with a chrome tridion, grille, mirrors, and rims? :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thats hilarious
i was JUST telling my buddy i might Flat Black wrap my smart and Bronze the OEM wheels and SLAM it hard. Thinking of leaving the tridion gloss black too.

Candy the tail lights with a VERY light tint. Tint the headlights Yellow and i think this car would be downright menacing looking.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts