Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was thinking about buying a Smart Car for 2, but a big priority for me is being able to mount a rear trailer hitch and rack and safely carry a single pretty heavy mountain bike on the freeway. The total weight would probably be maximum 70 pounds (rack and bike). The Curt website says that the hitch is rated to carry up to 200 pounds, but just curious if anybody has any real world experience with this and would feel comfortable driving on the freeway with this setup. Thank you!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I routinely carry a heavy trike rack and recumbent trike with the smart. Combined weight is nearly 100 pounds. It rides wells, even on the freeway. A bonus of having the hitch receiver is that it makes a convenient central jacking point for performing maintenance.
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

I also have another rack that I modified to carry this:
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Bicycle Bicycle hub

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I was thinking about buying a Smart Car for 2, but a big priority for me is being able to mount a rear trailer hitch and rack and safely carry a single pretty heavy mountain bike on the freeway. The total weight would probably be maximum 70 pounds (rack and bike). The Curt website says that the hitch is rated to carry up to 200 pounds, but just curious if anybody has any real world experience with this and would feel comfortable driving on the freeway with this setup. Thank you!
Be advised there is no pre-made hitch for the newer smart 453 currently in the US, only for the old 451.
That will limit the year smart you are able to use, unless you custom make a hitch $$$ or order from Europe $$$$.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
There is one available for the 453 but only overseas and shipping is high. A couple folks have made their own for the 453.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all the very helpful responses; I just started my research and was not aware of the differences between the models and that there is no hitch for the newer 453. I did a quick search and the information available is a but murky - some sources reported the 453 is 2014 and later, some reported 2015 and later, and some reported 2016 and later, and I also saw that I have to make sure it is not a Brabus? I guess I just need to make sure it is a 451 before buying one.

Unfortunately it also looks like the hitch is not a super easy install like others I have installed. I'm hoping that maybe I can find someone in the area to do this one? (although I'm not sure if I trust Uhaul as my experience with them has always been very hit and miss). I'm sure I "could" do it but it looks like a pain!

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
175 Posts
If carrying a bike is the only thing you will use your hitch for you might be better off with one of these:

I think you can get one off of the AMZN. This particular model works with the newer 453, but there are 451 models as well. I've driven both models, and the 453 is quite a bit nicer to drive on the freeway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If carrying a bike is the only thing you will use your hitch for you might be better off with one of these:

I think you can get one off of the AMZN. This particular model works with the newer 453, but there are 451 models as well. I've driven both models, and the 453 is quite a bit nicer to drive on the freeway.
thanks for the info I did come across that one while doing some searching -my concern with that one is that I am always transporting different bikes and it seems like it could be a poor fit for some newer style full suspension mountain bikes with longer geometry, irregular suspension shapes in the front triangle and very thick top and down tubes - my experience with those kind of racks is that some mountain bikes will fit well and others won’t - it seems like only the tire platform style racks where you mount the wheels on a platform tray are the only ones that pretty much “universal” for almost any bike (well except maybe for the pennyfarthing posted above! 😉)

·
Super Moderator
17,725 Posts
Here's a handy quick guide on the model years for each generation of the Fortwo in the United States:

Internal Combustion:

- 1998-2007 is the 450. These are rare in the U.S. as they were never officially sold here. If you see one, it is likely either a G&K import or a Canadian import. The Canadian imports will have turbodiesel engines.

- 2008-2015 is the 451. The second-generation was officially sold in the States.

- 2016-2017 is the 453. The third-generation was also officially sold in the States, but for a short period of time before Smart pulled the gas engine from this country.

Electric:

- 2011-2016 is the 451. If you find a 2011, it should be pretty rare, having batteries by Tesla.

- 2017-2019 is the 453. Sadly, Smart pulled out of America after these.

There is only one hitch available in the U.S. for the Fortwo and it's by Curt Manufacturing for the 451. Even the hitch installed by U-Haul is just the Curt hitch with a U-Haul sticker on it.

I had mine installed by U-Haul and have used it to tow trailers almost as heavy as the car is without issues. The hitch is designed to handle a tongue weight of 200 lb, so I wouldn't worry about hanging a bike or two off of the hitch.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
The gas 453 was introduced in Europe in 2015 as a 2015 model but in the U.S. and Canada we didn’t get the 453 until the 2016 model year.

·
Super Moderator
29,396 Posts
The gas 453 was introduced in Europe in 2015 as a 2015 model but in the U.S. and Canada we didn’t get the 453 until the 2016 model year.
Actually as a 2014 model in 2014 but that's ancient history now... :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for the unrelated question and I’m sure this has probably been covered in another thread but I didn’t find it when I searched - does anybody happen to know if any of the 451 models have integrated Bluetooth? for me that is a very nice to have feature but not a dealbreaker and I’m sure I can hook up something aftermarket if needed. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
There is one available for the 453 but only overseas and shipping is high. A couple folks have made their own for the 453.
I have the German hitch on my 453, expensive yes but I like it. Only problem is it doesn't have a means to attach the trailer safety chains required in the US. If I made it I would have made it for a square receiver.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I have the German hitch on my 453, expensive yes but I like it. Only problem is it doesn't have a means to attach the trailer safety chains required in the US. If I made it I would have made it for a square receiver.
Do you have a picture?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts