Smart Car of America Forum banner

Would a new roadster help Smart? Would you buy one?

• I think it is a good idea and I would buy one

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • I think it is a good idea but I would not buy one

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I think it is a bad idea if it is too much like a Miata

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • I think it would be a bad idea since it could cost too much

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I think it would depend on what it would look like.

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On FT.com, it mentions Fiat and Mazda team up to make a roadster. It would be interesting to see what a roadster would look like if Smart and Mazda teamed up. What do you think it would look like? Would it be more Miata / M5 or more like the original Smart roadster? WSJ.com. :confused:

I wonder what happened to this new 2012 Smart Roadster? autoevolution.

If Mazda teamed with Smart, could the roadster look like this one? :confused:

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There is an article at the Consumer Reports Automotive about the 2013 Smart car line up.

'The ForFour may be priced around $20,000 when it reaches the U.S. From left, the 2006 Smart Roadster, Roadster Coupe, ForFour, and ForTwo are shown here. '

I wonder if the new roadster would be about the same price of the Forfour or (hopefully) a just a little more.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Smart Roadster will be reborn

INAUTONEWS.COM

'New generations of the ForTwo and ForFour models are also in plan and they will hit the showrooms in 2014.' (copied from the site).

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
put in a contact at the Smart USA website.

I was phoned by Mercedes/Smart of Sheffield about a year ago and asked if they brought out a new roadster in the spring would I go along to the launch as I have an original roadster and I said yes of course and I would be very interested in purchasing one when they came out.....I've heard nothing since :confused:
I recently sent an e-mail to Smart USA about other models; Forfour, roadster. I will be checking my e-mail to see if they reply (hoping they give any kind of reply).

·
Registered
691 Posts
The photo with the car lineup is from 2006. There isn't a new roadster in the works currently and that is the old for four. As much as I like my smart, it has nothing to do with Mercedes marketing efforts. They don't seem to have a clue anymore.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The photo with the car lineup is from 2006. There isn't a new roadster in the works currently and that is the old for four. As much as I like my smart, it has nothing to do with Mercedes marketing efforts. They don't seem to have a clue anymore.
I'm convinced MBUSA doesn't care if they sell any. They were imported to satisfy MB's mileage standards on the company's monsters. I haven't seen a Smart commercial in months and we have a full dealership at the local MB dealer, with a near empty showroom of only 2 cars last time I was in it. They park the Mercedes sport models out front of the Smart store and use the store as the office for the Sprinter fleet sales office. Sprinters are made here in a huge factory near Ladson, SC. They have thousands in several yards both on the Sprinter factory and 2 parking lot monsters at the local fairgrounds, where they store Fedex logo'd models.

They don't market Smarts, here, and have no sales department dedicated to it, more evidence to support my suspicion Smart just raises the company MPG average to satisfy the EPA/govt bureaucrats.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
I think if the Mazda connection does not pan out.....
they should contact Barney O :D

I am SURE we would get a great car from that partnership ! If they decide to do that, I will send my $99.00 in now ! :burnout:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I always said Miata should have the tranny in the back. I wouldn't mind seeing it with a turbo 3 cylinder up front.
...enlighten me as to why it would need the tranny in the back if they got it damn close to 50/50 weight distribution with the engine and tranny up front?

I'd love to see Mazda and Smart team up! Coming from someone who has had 2 Miatas and a Mazda 2 before the Smart...

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
have not heard from them

I recently sent an e-mail to Smart USA about other models; Forfour, roadster. I will be checking my e-mail to see if they reply (hoping they give any kind of reply).

I still have not heard from them. :( I guess one can only hope. :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts