Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is awesome, although roughly 2x the price of the Smart ED ($40-45k). The article via CNET

2014 Mercedes-Benz B-class Electric Drive - Coupe/Hatchback - CNET Reviews

Stats from article:
  • 28 kWh battery pack
  • 115 miles of range
  • 75 kW motor
  • 174 hp
  • 251 lb-ft torque
  • 0-60 in 7.9 s
  • 100 mph top speed
  • 9.6 kW charging (40A @ 240V)
  • 3.5 hrs to recharge from 0
Still no DC quick charge option
Has regen paddles.
Power port is on the drivers side.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Nice, and Canada's had the gas version of this particular car for over a year now. They are practical, if a tad low rent inside in parts (for a Mercedes). The range is disappointing though. They should have a long range option too (extra battery).

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
Another mind boggling decision from Mercedes, IMHO. The B-Class is a great car, but 115 mile range at that price? Just don't know what they are thinking. :)

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Another mind boggling decision from Mercedes, IMHO. The B-Class is a great car, but 115 mile range at that price? Just don't know what they are thinking. :)
They're thinking that the range is longer than its nearest-priced competitor, the BMW i3, and fits the driving needs of most people for an urban vehicle. What other all-electric vehicle except Tesla can offer that range?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
The "less expensive" (in Mercedes terms) gasser B-Class offers a lot more range if that is the issue; other lower priced electrics offer ~80 miles range at about half the price, so the extra 35 miles of range are pretty expensive. I'm sure some folks will buy it just for the uniqueness, and it's a great body style, but.....:)

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
For some reason (don't ask me why), most people forget that retail prices are before federal tax credit and state incentives are applied. In California, for example, many can deduct $10,000 from the $41,000 price, and end up with a $31,000 electric Mercedes. That's not a tough financial nut for many.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
If this version sells reasonably well, maybe the USA will get the CLA's sister car, the gas powered B Class. The CLA sucks in comparison and costs $3000 more in Canada.

·
Registered
521 Posts
They just had to choose the ugly european van looking thing... couldn't have had a nice electric sedan.

i3 over this.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They just had to choose the ugly european van looking thing... couldn't have had a nice electric sedan.

i3 over this.
BMW could have used the 1 Series like they initially did with the ActiveE. That was a much more traditional sedan-like vehicle. But they had to go with the i3, which imo is the strangest-looking BMW i've ever seen in the US.

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts

i3 over this.
The early A and B-Class were more "smart shaped" but the new versions have changed, not for the better IMHO. But still better looking (and more practical) than a sedan (CLA). :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts