Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm thinking of buying a used Smart ED soon. There's a dealership in Montebello, CA that has one I want to check out. Can anyone recommend a mechanic close to there that would be able to do a thorough pre-purchase inspection? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Well, there is another way that I kind of thought about. When we had our C-MAX and the battery degraded the total charge time from empty to full decreased. Could try to time how long it takes to get a complete charge if the seller agrees and compare length to a known healthy battery charge rate being equal that is.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
jzchen - better than nothing I guess, but you really want a real battery test readout considering that the HV battery has been a problem with some owners and at a replacement cost of $10K or so, I sure wouldn't chance it.

Len

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Up front looking at pictures (if I'm looking at the correct one) there are no California Carpool Lane stickers on the front bumper, indicating to me it was either refinished or replaced. (Those white stickers are expired meaning you can't use the carpool lane with only the driver/single occupancy).

EDIT-. One or more TPMS sensor may be needed the TPMS warning is lit in the pictures.

May go see it in person for you....

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Or more likely jsut a tire is low... My TPMS come on as soon as a rear tire goes even just a little below 36 psi.
When I went to purchase my Scion iQ to replace my totaled Smart I brought a tire gauge and hand pump to adjust the tire pressures before the 400 mi trip home. When we completed the deal I adjusted the pressures and the guy kindly offered to lend his air tank/compressor but it's was quick for me. If I go, I'll ask about the tires first thing if they don't mind me checking, then reset the system per instructions....

If you like it like that don't reset the system. I don't blame you if you do it's set too low percentage wise from correct pressure.

There are these PPI companies that send out a mechanic to inspect the cars. Search online and find one that can do a proper battery check. I don't have a Mercedes Star Clone sadly not Jim's battery tester...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts