Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 · (Edited)
"These istructions are from those kind neighbors from North Carolina."

Several people have asked me about making the Santa hat.

Here is a summary of how I made mine. I did it all with a serger rather than a sewing machine.

The key is making the fur collar. You make it first fitting it to the top. The final steps are connecting on straps to hold it on.

Buy yard of white fake fur that is 60 inches wide. If you buy shorter you will need more. There is practically nothing left after the hat is made. I bought long fur.

Cut into 4 8” wide strips. The front and back of the car are 37 and 39 inches wide. The sides are 46 inches at the top. By the bottom of the strip there is more out front than back. Take the 4 strips. The key is to make the left and right the same. Just eyeballing it doesn't work. I cut the front and back as 37 and 39 inches long.

The sides I put on and pinned to the front/back. Then I serged then together. The extra pieces from the front/back is what you will make the pompom out of.

Then I serged the bottom to make it clean all the way around

Now you are going to cut the top triangles. You will make the 47" sides first.

The red felt or fur I used was 72" wide. This makes for a 6 foot high hat. I laid out the felt on a flat floor. I use a rotary cutter on a plastic cutting sheet. Fold the felt so that it is 24.5" across (1/2 of 49"). Now cut to form one triangle (6' high and 49" across the base. Throw away the 1/2 triangle.

Fold the next piece using the 1/2 triangle. Cut the next 49" triangle. It is upside down to the first.

Fold as if you are doing a third 49" triangle but cut as 41". Fold as 41" and cut 39". This is allowing for 1" seam on each

Sew the sides to the fur first. Then front and back. The top won't be a perfect fit. This is not important as you bury about 5 inches of the top into the pompom.

The scrap 8” fur strips, cut two 8” squares out.

I made the pompom inside out connecting on a point not the centre of the square. The point of the hat goes into the point of the pompom. I stuffed with some scrap fur.

Put the hat on and adjust. I ran strap loops from the front corner where the fur joins onto the felt to the mirror. I just loop the strap around the mirror and fit the hat on. A centre strap goes on the roof to keep the sides from drooping. On the back do straps to the trunk or inside the tailgate.

How do you get in with the hat on? Or do you get in and have someone put the hat of for you?
Option 1 put the hat on...
Flip up the white cuff, open the door, get in, close the door, insert the key, turn the key, roll down the window a little, pull the cuff down.

Option 2, before you put the hat on, roll down the window, put the hat on, clear the cuff and close the door.

Not an issue once you get in an out a few time.

:smartje.rd.zw:We have to be different, since our car is red we're trying for a green elf hat, white trim and tan pointy ears. We'll be celebrating our 40th wedding anneversary that day too! BTW, any update on trying for the Richmond parade? I wouldn't mind a 2 parade weekend.

Any more info on the parade? Where do we meet and when? We're leaving Hampton after church so should be up there by mid-afternoon but need a meeting place. Are we getting together for dinner after the parade or are there other activities we can do?

Discussion starter · #32 ·
My appologies to those interested in the parade.
Parts of me decided to shut down last month and the body mechanic released me from the garage a couple days ago. I dislike aging and turkey in a tube. It would have been good for my smartie to be at another fun family reunion. After light duty is over, I look forward to having brunch somewhere with some other smarties.
Merry Christmas and hopes for a happier new year.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.