Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
17,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday, I went on the longest road trip in my life. I flew out to California to pick up this absolutely sweet Edition #1 453!!!! <3

Meet Phil, the smart of my dreams that's somehow better than my dreams! I can't stop going squeee! at how awesome it is!

2 thousand miles and 36 hours later, Phil is home and has already met his older sibling, Tucker! :)

I have to say, the 453 is absolutely unmatched. It ate up the 2000 miles with ease and grace. If the 451 is a teenager, the 453 is an adult. And I believe he isn't affected by the fueling issue either :)

Big big big big thanks to mister_smart_LA and SoCal Smarties for making this an unforgettable experience. I could not have done this without you guys!!!!

Also a huge thumbs up to SmartMadness for the tour of their facility! :)

I have a huge write-up to come. I have to get some sleep before I fully zombify.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Phil

Congrates on Phil and your trip !!! :sunshine::yelclap::party::party:

I have a 2016 453 Passion ordered and it is sitting on the docks in LA.
The will not release they say until software update for issue with; fuel gauge and bluetooth connectivity is completed. :shrug::crying:

What procedure did you use to be able to pic up in Ca. ??

Post about your trip.

Ray L.
Federal Way,Wa.

·
17,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrates on Phil and your trip !!! :sunshine::yelclap::party::party:

I have a 2016 453 Passion ordered and it is sitting on the docks in LA.
The will not release they say until software update for issue with; fuel gauge and bluetooth connectivity is completed. :shrug::crying:

What procedure did you use to be able to pic up in Ca. ??

Post about your trip.

Ray L.
Federal Way,Wa.
Well, West Covina handled the docs...and when it was time for me to sign the papers and drive off, all I had to do was purchase an absurdly cheap plane ticket (thanks Frontier!) and fly out to Cali.

Now, I just have to figure out how to get plates here in Illinois. Looks like a trip to the DMV (sigh) is in order.

I'll write up the whole story tomorrow or so! :)

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Congratulations Neon. You've been through so much in your life ! It's great to see you get a great reward of a sharp 453. I am soooo happy for you and Miss Tesla. You make me want to go out and buy a 453 too, but just can't afford to do that right now. I so look forward to your review and hopefully more pics of your new 453. Happy motoring, DCO

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't know where to start... I'm soooooo pleased for you. I've been following your story since joining ScoA last year, including your issues with having to move etc and the more recent unfortunate events with Tuckers oil filter failure. Despite all of this, you've managed to stay positive and I commend you for this. As Smart fan (boy) owner myself, I despair at people that seem to give up at the first hurdle of the mechanical shortcomings that affect all vehicles, like the fueling "problem" Even with all this, you've stayed with it and have deservedly rewarded yourself with a beautiful car in the shape of Phil. Congratulations. Your face will ache for a while from the smile that will be stuck on there every time you look at him. Looking forward to your informative review.

Harry

·
Registered
49 Posts
Neonspinnazz,

So happy for you! I can't what to read all about it. Many thanks to Smart Car of West Covina and Mister_smart_LA! Smartmadness too! What a great story and who doesn't love a happy ending! Get some rest!

hartmn

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Congratulations!

Neon, you left just in time too. It was hot and sunny when you bought your car, but the very next day we ended up with a very, very rare October thunderstorm. Sunday was chilly with mean clouds and occasional sprinkles. By night, it was raining, thunder and lightning kicked in and lasted through Monday early afternoon.

Thanks for coming out and supporting. I am very surprised at how quickly you traveled. I probably would have needed an extra day to complete the trip.

·
17,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Neonspinnazz,

So happy for you! I can't what to read all about it. Many thanks to Smart Car of West Covina and Mister_smart_LA! Smartmadness too! What a great story and who doesn't love a happy ending! Get some rest!

hartmn
Thanks!!! It was one of the happiest endings ever!!! I even got to Initial D my way down a mountain in Utah! :)

Congratulations!

Neon, you left just in time too. It was hot and sunny when you bought your car, but the very next day we ended up with a very, very rare October thunderstorm. Sunday was chilly with mean clouds and occasional sprinkles. By night, it was raining, thunder and lightning kicked in and lasted through Monday early afternoon.

Thanks for coming out and supporting. I am very surprised at how quickly you traveled. I probably would have needed an extra day to complete the trip.
I think the only reason I was able to do the trip so fast was the fuel stops. They usually happened every 2.5 hours. Plus, I was having a blast scratching off items from the bucket list!!!

*Sigh* I wanna come back to California...it's so much more fun than Chillinois. :)

I think I know my new preferred dealer to get smarts from. :D Maybe next time I'll take the southern route and go through Texas and such.

Congratulations on your new vehicle! Did you opt for the DCT or manual 5-speed? Enjoy your 453!!
I originally wanted a Manual because I love rowing my own gears, but immediately fell in love with a DCT edition #1 . The DCT is pretty darn good, especially after the software update.

I used to use manual mode 100% of the time in Tucker, such isn't true here. The DCT is so good at what it does that it's best experienced in auto mode...or with the paddles for that F1 feeling.

Besides, with that LA traffic, oh gosh my foot would have fell off with the manual. How are there traffic jams when it isn't even rush hour? xD

·
17,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My average speed for the trip was 76 mph, including all fuel stops and LA traffic. :D Plus, the 453 currently is not able to drink as much fuel as a 451.

·
Super Moderator
1,570 Posts
Better double check that math. 76 mph average???

Len
2014 EV

1 - 20 of 47 Posts