Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mike700
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new '16 453 eleven months ago. Car now has 8,600 miles on it now and I just checked my oil for the first time. The good news - the car hasn't burned a drop of oil and oil looked very clean. The bad news - about 60% of the foam backing on the rear compartment had partially melted and welded itself to the metal motor access cover. I tried to pull the carpet up as carefully as possible but some of the foam backing pulled off the carpeting and is stuck to the engine cover. I don't drive my Smart hard and never had any indication that the motor was running too hot or overheating. I live in Chicagoland. Has anyone else experienced this melted carpet foam problem? Thanks! Mike700

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mike700,

I don't have a 453 but I highly advise you to take it to the dealer for warranty repair. I would ask them to replace the melted foam backing and see if there has been a dealer wide write up on this issue. They have a name for these written advisory to dealers but the name escapes me due to CRS! Can't remember s**t!

I would not care for melted foam on a new vehicle. And neither should you. I'm sure they will take care of it.

Hartmn

·
Registered
164 Posts
There's been some talk of it over here in the UK. You're not alone in experiencing this issue... Better check mine tomorrow :nerd:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Beat the Heat

I do not yet own a 453, but I have seen more than one road-test video where they removed the cover to show the engine................and the underside of padded carpet cover was visibly scorched from the engine heat. Assuming your dealer finds no evidence of the engine running unduly hot, at the least, I think smart needs to find a better insulating material.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not noticed but will check mine tomorrow , I have noticed though that when taking stuff out of the boot it seems noticeably warmer than my old 451 and 450's

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Keep in mind that the majority of materials used in this car (interior and exterior) are designed to be as environmentally-friendly as possible. Switching to any off the shelf insulation materials, carpeting, paints, etc, is out of the question as smart is designed to be more environmentally friendly than the typical car from other manufacturers.

All of us should always remember that when we have kneejerk reactions about how the smart "should" be, especially when the general comparison is to a less environmentally friendly vehicle.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Sounds like this potentially environmental conscious choice was the wrong one and smart needs to find a more durable alternative.

·
Registered
194 Posts
From what I'm reading here, it doesn't sound like the foam is literally melting away, just becoming sticky and doing better at sticking to the deck lid than to itself.

A simple fix might be to tack a layer of fabric to the foam on the underside of the carpet with spray adhesive. That way the foam will stick to the fabric, not the deck lid. Avoid synthetic fabric (which might melt), and wash it a few times in hot water to pre-shrink it before applying it to the foam.

(The spray adhesive may be optional in this case, since the foam seems to get sticky already...)

The more complex version is to actually stitch the fabric to the underside of the carpet; better still, have an upholstery shop rip the stitching on the edge of the carpet and reattach it with the new fabric tucked under the edging.

The actual factory fix ought to be to use a more heat-stable foam instead.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
The engine insulation foam "should" not melt in the moderate heat that comes from the engine compartment. That's no "kneejerk reaction", it's basic common sense.

Until someone who knows the chemical composition of the materials used can confirm that inferior melting foam was used in the 453 because the stuff used in the 450 was more damaging to the environment, Kamaal's comment will remain pure speculation. smart has always had a heavy environmental ethic, from before the Hambach factory was built. And if dealers have to replace the melty stuff in the 453 once, any environmental advantage (that only may exist) disappears.

In fact, in moving back to paint from powder coating on the shells, they have recently stepped slightly backwards, environmentally.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts