Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Portland, Oregon the Mercedes dealer charges $125 per hour for all cars regardless whether it is a 560 SEC or a Smart car. I find this exhorbitant. This represents almost 100% increase from what the Smart Car Center Portland used to charge ($65 per hour). They wanted to charge $99 for an oil change but have since revised it to $65.

How much is your Smart dealer charging for labor on repairs on your Smart Car?

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
It's been a while. But, IIRC Buckhead (Atlanta) was $125 too.

Haven't been there since 20K on the clock, almost 3 years ago.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Not surprisingly, the Smart Center in NYC charges $125/hr labor as well. They do a great job, and the center is located within a Mercedes complex that is new, beautiful, huge, and quite generous with its customers. Free food, a gorgeous lounge, and loaner cars are all part and parcel. I feel pampered.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Well, one thing for sure with those kind of shop rates for an economy classed car, should help drive potential buyers away...MB's loss and another manufactures gain...:wink:

Even our local Chevy dealer offers an oil change for 29.99 on most brands of vehicles to run competition with the Speedy Lubes...

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Mercedes should offer coupons to the dealers who work on smart cars, e.g. compensating them in some fashion. This way all smart owners have a connection, perceived or real-- that we are not in the luxury car category. $100 is not uncommon these days, but $125 is foolish.

Only smart cars with Mercedes badges must pay the full amount...just keeding...:angelanddevil:

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Well, one thing for sure with those kind of shop rates for an economy classed car, should help drive potential buyers away...MB's loss and another manufactures gain...:wink:
Combine the luxury class service rates with the scarcity of service centers and you've got a solid reason for smart to make it as easy as possible for other service providers.

If an owner is 6 hours from a smart center (like me) and out of warranty (like me*), no doubt they're looking for closer, cheaper, alternative for service ... especially if it's a driveability issue. If smart wants to survive long term in the USA, they should do whatever they can to make it easy on non-MB service centers to perform the repair. Make your money on selling cars, not reaming existing owners.

*I have a service contract.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Here in Portland, Oregon the Mercedes dealer charges $125 per hour for all cars regardless whether it is a 560 SEC or a Smart car. I find this exhorbitant. This represents almost 100% increase from what the Smart Car Center Portland used to charge ($65 per hour). They wanted to charge $99 for an oil change but have since revised it to $65.

How much is your Smart dealer charging for labor on repairs on your Smart Car?
Try Kuni Auto Center right next door in Beaverton, OR on SW Cedar Hills Bvld. Kuni was the original smart center Portland - before MB took back the franchise. When Kuni gave up their smart dealership on SW Canyon Rd they moved their entire smart staff and techs to Beaverton. They service smart cars there. Granted its non-warranty work, but they know smart cars inside and out, and will treat you right.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
This is why even though I make some pretty good money as a free-lance aerospace structural analyst, I still work on my own cars! It literally pays! Most things on a car can be done by following the manual... oops, and there is one of my beefs; still, most of the common maintenance isn't very hard to do (check the videos or ask for advice). I'd only take a smart to a dealer if it were under warranty (mine isn't).

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
This is why even though I make some pretty good money as a free-lance aerospace structural analyst, I still work on my own cars! It literally pays! Most things on a car can be done by following the manual... oops, and there is one of my beefs; still, most of the common maintenance isn't very hard to do (check the videos or ask for advice). I'd only take a smart to a dealer if it were under warranty (mine isn't).

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Oh, I forget what the smart/MB rates are around here but $125 sounds about standard.

In any case, I know my VW dealer charges $110. For the people's car, you know.
It expensive, try paing for maint on a E55, lol.... Double wrench is a killer lol

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Mercedes should offer coupons to the dealers who work on smart cars, e.g. compensating them in some fashion. This way all smart owners have a connection, perceived or real-- that we are not in the luxury car category. $100 is not uncommon these days, but $125 is foolish.

Only smart cars with Mercedes badges must pay the full amount...just keeding...:angelanddevil:

You may be right. Maybe I should de-badge my MB stuff............naaaah.

If I recall, my independent garage charges around $75 per hour, but they'll sometimes spend 45 minutes on a job like putting on Kleen-Wheels and charge me $25 because there was a learning curve to figure out they had to be dimpled, or not charge for computer read-outs ($95 at M-B dealer here), and actually not charge me for any learning or computer look-up time. Plus they've always done good work.

When my smart was lighting up like a Christmas tree and going into gimp-mode, they threw it on their computer, found one fault in the accelerator module and a stray fault that made no sense (I then drove to MB and bought a new module). They removed the driver's seat, removed the module, installed the new one and replaced the seat and the bill was less than $200, $175 if I recall, including a diagnosis.

The MB dealer did a Star diagnosis a few days earlier and told me I'd have to leave it for several days (with no loaner) so they could work on the 2 pages of faults they found. That was an outright lie. The black service advisor almost turned white when I asked for a copy of the read-out. It was full of old faults that they told me several times that they had previously erased. More lies. They waved those 2 sheets in front of my nose with 2 pages of faults, when there was actually only one true one, hoping I'd fall for their BS, leave the car for days, when actually it was no more than a 1 hour job and they knew it from the printout. I can only imagine what my bill would have been, seeing as they wanted $1200 to replace my brake-light switch on an earlier visit.

P.S. I'm only talking about the M-B dealer in my area and not lumping them all together. I have no experience with any others in other areas who may do fair and honest work.

·
Super Moderator
28,959 Posts
Do some looking on Google - you'll find that hourly labor rates in the $100 - 125 range are common, with some even higher. Still hurts the wallet but it's not just an M-B thing. :)

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Wow, a $1200.00 brake light switch! OWW!
Now I know why I was able to buy one of those from you! I've got my spare handy and I will lube it with CRC-2-26 spray should I ever need to install it. It improves electrical properties and displaces water and is safe for plastics.
I have no interest in the company.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Do some looking on Google - you'll find that hourly labor rates in the $100 - 125 range are common, with some even higher. Still hurts the wallet but it's not just an M-B thing. :)
When my doctor took his Mercedes in, the mechanic quoted him the hourly rate. The doctor said that he's a physician and doesn't even charge that much. The mechanic then told him that is why he gave up his practice and became a mechanic. :sorrysign:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Actually this is why i plan on having the same center that i have been using for my current car to do the routine stuff like oil changes and the like.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts