Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Interesting... that seems to be the whole cap. I was planning to glue-over some Chinese-ones and remove the OEM ones. I will rethink the whole replacement. Thank you for the photo!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
MB Centercaps (the 60mm ones) are not a direct drop in replacement for the Smart ones.
There are a few differences:
1. Thickness of the centercap - Smart is 6/32", MB is 7/32", so the MB cap will stick out of the centercap well a little.
2. The Diameter where the 'clip' would be vertical. There is a ring that the centercap clip latches onto.
I have broken a few of these clips on the MB centercaps until I had this ring opened up about 2mm.
The clip is thin plastic and would snap off if stressed from it's normal 'vertical' position when the centercap was put on.

Stock 450 9 spoke (Front) with 60mm Blue MB centercap fitted. 165/60/15 Vredestein Quatrac 5 tire.
Required $60 machining for four wheels.

·
Registered
56 Posts
LOL. Actually I have an Interceptor myself (Ford CV) and I put those badges on my DMC-12 as well. I will post photos tomorrow.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,433 Posts
There's something about a smart car that brings out the kid/wise guy in me. I needed to get some furnace filters off Amazon, and while I was there I ordered another "decoration" for my smart.

View attachment 62482 View attachment 62482
There is just something about a smart that brings out the "kid" and 'modder" in most of us. I love the little things.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I used to have a Mercedes 3 pointer badge on the front of my 450, and reason I put it on was it had a Mercedes engine.

Never saw the point in doing this for the 451 as it had a Mitsubishi engine or the 453 which has a Renault Engine :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
When the wife and I find another running 451 for cheap, we are going to jack it up with a lift kit , put on some aggressive mudders and slap on the UNIMOG and STAR emblems !!!
As we reach retirement, we to have been talking about adding another orphan to the garage. Up North we have come across so good deals for a build, but I must say, lift kit, mudders, unimog and star emblems would be unique.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've put MB center caps on the 450's wheels so I thought deeply about something for the trunk (emblem).
What would the Smart 450 be named if it was within the Mercedes Nomenclature?

The closest is 'SLK' which was derived from sportlich (sporty), leicht (light), and kurz (short).
Now onto the model number...

eg. SLK 32 - 3.2L V6 - AMG's least powerful car

So properly named within Mercedes Nomenclature, the Smart 450 is:

:geek:

21 - 40 of 43 Posts