Smart Car of America Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen smarts with Mercedes hood and trunk emblems on them. Are the Mercedes Dealers that sale smarts doing this or is it the car owners after they get them home?

·
Registered
183 Posts
They are owner installed. There are also "Powered by Mercedes Benz" badges used on some highway trucks that some have used. Some owners in Europe are strongly against rebadgeing so this is a personal decision.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
"Powered by Mercedes Benz" I like this but it prolly should now be "Powered by Mistsubishi"...."Built in France for Mercedes" LOL

·
Registered
183 Posts
Any Mercedes dealer has them.They are the same emblems on any Mercedes, just pick the one you like. I think some are larger than others. I think they are in the $30 range but I'm not sure. The "Powered by Mercedes" emblems are at truck dealers, I think those that sell Volvo trucks are the most likely and yes they are more appropriate on 2006 and older smarts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I guess it's me, but putting a Mercedes Benz emblem on a Smart doesn't seem right. I can sort of understand the "powered by Mercedes-Benz" emblem on the older Smarts, but the Smart is just that, a Smart.

It's the same way with the Mini. There are no BMW rondels on a Mini.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The "smart story" at the Mercedes-Benz museum follows the history of the smart .
That good enuff for me to put one on.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The "smart story" at the Mercedes-Benz museum follows the history of the smart .
That good enuff for me to put one on.
My take on this: The parent company of smart is Daimler. It manufactures three differently branded cars - Mercedes, Maybach, and smart, along with half a dozen commercial vehicles. These are separate marques and are and should be badged separately. Putting a Mercedes badge on a smart is the exact equivalent of placing a Corvette badge on an Aveo or doing the same with a Lincoln and a Festiva. If people want to know what company manufactures it, I'm sure they'll ask.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
My take on this: The parent company of smart is Daimler. It manufactures three differently branded cars - Mercedes, Maybach, and smart, along with half a dozen commercial vehicles. These are separate marques and are and should be badged separately. Putting a Mercedes badge on a smart is the exact equivalent of placing a Corvette badge on an Aveo or doing the same with a Lincoln and a Festiva. If people want to know what company manufactures it, I'm sure they'll ask.
Daimler is currently producing all of the Chrysler products as well. In fact, they are taking what used to be branded as Mercedes delivery vehicles in Europe and now badging them as Dodge here in the US. They are also taking Mitsubishi SUVs and rebranding them as the Mercedes ML class.

If they can re-badge, why can't we?

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Present Mini a Spin-off of the famed MiniCooper

I guess it's me, but putting a Mercedes Benz emblem on a Smart doesn't seem right. I can sort of understand the "powered by Mercedes-Benz" emblem on the older Smarts, but the Smart is just that, a Smart.

That's because the original Mini Cooper was never a BMW made car until 1994 when they bought Rover of the UK. Since the new MINI was spun off of the original UK produced Mini (given a steroid shot or two) , they could not badge it with the BMW.
The Smart, on the other hand, was never made by anyone other than Mercedes Benz.
Most all cars have the Manufacturers logo and the model of the car on them, ie, the Ford Emblem and then Mustang or Taurus or whatever the car is.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Present Mini a Spin-off of the famed MiniCooper

That's because the original Mini Cooper was never a BMW made car until 1994 when they bought Rover of the UK. Since the new MINI was spun off of the original UK produced Mini (given a steroid shot or two) , they could not badge it with the BMW.
The Smart, on the other hand, was never made by anyone other than Mercedes Benz.
Most all cars have the Manufacturers logo and the model of the car on them, ie, the Ford Emblem and then Mustang or Taurus or whatever model Ford the car is.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Correction: incorrect comparisons made...no offense meant

My take on this: Putting a Mercedes badge on a smart is the exact equivalent of placing a Corvette badge on an Aveo or doing the same with a Lincoln and a Festiva. If people want to know what company manufactures it, I'm sure they'll ask.
A Corvette badge of Chevy is the equivalent of the Smart Badge of Mercedes Benz and marques of GM much like The Lincoln badge is of FoMoCo, Lincoln/Mercury---the marque. They are exclusive brands within the marque of each individual manufacturer. The Smart is an exclusive brand within the Mercedes marque and therefore, IMHO, I think it is Ok to have the Mercedes emblem on the Smart.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Thanks for the pics Noras Dad. I liked the silver paneled one. Now if I can get a mod to install gull wing doors. . . . . . . .

1 - 20 of 292 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.