Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned on Evilution's website, there are copies of the Mercedes WIS for sale on Ebay. This contains the data on the Smart, along with virtually every other Mercedes product sold around the world. The official version in use at the US dealers is limited to only the US 451 models.

Since I'm sure that no SCoA member would actually purchase something of such questionable legality , I'm hoping that someone might have observed someone else installing and using the software. If so, it would be nice to hear more about their success/failure/experience of installing and using it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
WOW! I have never seen them quite so cheap. I have done many installs. It is not to bad as long as you follow the instructions. Most people will need help.

·
Registered
474 Posts
That one is the Jan/09 release. The thing that I find most interesting is they say it works on Vista!?!?! So far, that has not been true. The most successful way of installing it is putting a copy of XP onto a Windows Virtual Machine (Virtual Machine is a software product that emulates a computer. Like having a computer in a computer) and installing onto that.

But if this can run natively in Vista then it must have been a major revision. Now I'm curious.

ps.

note that the linked product above does not look like it includes the EPC. Useful to some.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Did you right click on the .exe file and go to the compatibility tab and set it to run in a XP compatibility mode?

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
SmartieParts: I've avoided VISTA like the plague, I run WinXPP, but if I were to buy this software I'd want the most recent version and that is it, correct? Since I don't know what EPC is, I hope I don't need it.

EDIT: I figured EPC out. Might be handy to have.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$21.99 with free shipping from AUTO-MANUALS.BIZ (the version without EPC)! Couldn't pass that up. I'll let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
if you put "MB EPC-WIS net 2008.10" into google, you can find ones that are a fraction of the cost :) and the newer version like that one are Vista compatible since they are now html/java based

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
cassini, all I see (on the first page) is a bunch of BitTorrent hits. Too risky for my taste. $20 is a better option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
WIS

The WIS is the same all over the world. The difference in results is due the key.
Different keys produce different levels of access.
The US dealers use a key that does not unlock all the info.
SmartCarofAmerica members do not need to buy anything, they only need to ask, and they will receive.:)

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Anybody else recieve theirs yet? I got mine in the mail yesterday, and can't seem to get it to work.:mad: Also, their web forum is useless for help. Not a happy customer so far.:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finally got mine and after a few hours of work, got it up and running. The online documentation steps do work, but are missing some details. I think I have it figured out, so I'll try to help.

A couple tips:
1. It does NOT like Google Chrome
2. If you bought the 2009 version, follow the directions for 2009 VISTA even if you are running XP.
3. EVERY step is important
4. If you want to start over, there is a utility on the DVD that wipes everything clean.

After digging through the information in the WIS, I can understand why some of the smart center techs have difficulties. The information is rather sparse and fragmented -- electrical diagrams are broken up into tiny segments instead of a nice overview that we have come to expect with other car brands.

It's barely worth the $20 I spent -- certainly not worth any more so don't waste your money on more expensive copies (they're all the same other than the inclusion of the parts catalog)

There is a reasonable amount of information regarding disassembling the smart. The Smart is listed separately from "Cars" -- and there is NO Smart section in the Diagnosis section! The 2009 version is Java based and most navigation is by clicking on a link. It takes some getting used to!

I'll start learning how to best use the info.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
How long did it take y'all to receive the software?

How long did it take y'all to receive the software? I ordered on the 14th, checked my account just now ... says it was shipped on the 16th. I haven't yet received it. Well, it's only been 9 days, with a holiday and a couple Sundays in the mix.

Thanks, JimDantin, for the installation notes. Will be handy to have. Doesn't sound very useful ... especially to someone like me who is just more curious than anything practical. Oh well, I've wasted more on lesser things.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, you need the keys.

The package came from eastern Europe, so don't get too impatient.

"Useful" is different for everyone. It's useful for me to preview what's under the skin. And, the wiring info is required for some things.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts