Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 450 is starting to show it's age, 13 years old and 47k miles. The sun has been working hard on the interior, cloth has let go on the door panels. Seats are faded. The windshield has a big crack thanks to a truck last month. The rear quarter windows have hazed. Only one working remote. Needs front tires. It still runs great, uses no oil and is fun to drive. But I have been curious as to how the 453 drove. My wife and I had some errands to run and were just on the other side of the hill from Penske smart. We drove over and I asked the salesman, Mo, if Kamaal was there. Sure enough he came out and we finally met. He is everything I expected from his posts. Very enthusiastic about smarts, talkative and passionate. We joked about our online discussions on SCoA. Then I drove a Dual Clutch smart sport, followed by the manual trans. I have to say the Dual Clutch won me over hands down. The 6 speed keeps you in the power range much more effectively. The larger gap between 2nd and 3rd on the manual 5 speed threw me a couple of times and I lugged the engine. The 6 speed never had that problem. It was fast compared to both of the previous smarts I've driven. Not Camaro 428 fast but easily half again as fast as my smart. Much of it due to the lightening fast shifts (compared to the 450.) The A/C worked fine for me, but I'm used to my 450 was is pretty much useless over 90 degrees. I like the sport and I am thinking seriously about getting one. My smart is getting old enough for problems to start cropping up and no dealer support kind of worries me. Smart Madness doesn't seem particularly eager to help either judging by their lack of a response to my request to reprogram my remote.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Yes! It was nice meeting you in person! Thanks for dropping by, and hopefully it was worth your time.

I agree that the 6 speed DCT is the way to go. Personal opinion. If in my collection of cars I didn't have any stick shifts to choose from, I'd go with a manual smart. But because I already own a bunch of stick shifts in the fleet, I'm choosing DCT all day. It's an easy choice for me. :nerd:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts