Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were in Trader Joe's on Masonic today, and as we walked out of the store to load up our shopping, we saw a couple with a red/black Pure. I asked them how they liked their smart, and they said that they were just staying in SF for a week and were renting from Hertz! They had a lot of questions on the car, and how our Passions differed, and seemed to really be enjoying their rental. When we were driving away, I realised I was wearing my "Smart Breeds" shirt that I had designed--no wonder they asked me so many questions about the car! :D

Its interesting, with the price that Hertz rents the smart for, that you get a Pure instead of a Passion. I wonder if all the rentals are Pures.

·
Registered
284 Posts
In SF, people pay more the worse the car is. Imagine renting the car below in S.F. and paying $49 for 1 hour. Then the rental on the Pure does not look so bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
...they said that they were just staying in SF for a week and were renting from Hertz!
I was at smart center Stevens Creek this week (yeah, we drive down from Marin--they really treat us well) and Paul, the service manager, told me that Hertz had purchased a bunch of smarties. IIRC, he said 30 of them!

I can't think of better PR than renting smarts to visitors to SF. Nothing else is nearly as much fun to drive here--and I'm totally unbiased. ;^)

~Doug

·
Registered
10 Posts
Imagine renting the car below in S.F. and paying $49 for 1 hour. Then the rental on the Pure does not look so bad.

Wow, do they really charge that much? I see them all the time, creeping along in the middle of our crazy traffic. Usually, the people look lost, confused and/or scared, trying to listen to the recorded audio tour in the midst of the roaring background noise.

~Doug

·
Registered
426 Posts
My wife and I were in Trader Joe's on Masonic today, and as we walked out of the store to load up our shopping, we saw a couple with a red/black Pure. I asked them how they liked their smart, and they said that they were just staying in SF for a week and were renting from Hertz! .
Same thing happened to me at our local Post Office. A German visiting our Ohio Valley area said she rented one in SF in this past summer. Said Hertz apologized for not having their original rental available. She loved the Pure and wondered about my Passion. She also said they did fit 4 people in her Pure. Hope two were children.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In SF, people pay more the worse the car is. Imagine renting the car below in S.F. and paying $49 for 1 hour. Then the rental on the Pure does not look so bad.

When I see these on the streets here (we see a lot of them by Golden Gate Park) it makes me feel adequate in my smart . . . JUST KIDDING!!!!! 1poke

·
Registered
284 Posts
Tourist driving in S.F. in general is not a good thing. Was on a trolly when some folks in a rented car cut in front of the trolley. Before that day, I have never seen a car tossed in the air before. It landed on a another car next to it. Not too much damage to the trolley.

The only benefit of tourist in Smarts is they are more likely to be in fear and less likely to take chances and if they do, it will cause less damage to the city.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
There's a rental company near me in the greater NYC megalopilos called Genius Ride and they rent smarts , some hybrid vehicles and even mini-vans. They deliver too.
I used them last year as my Subaru was in for repair (also was good for an extended test drive)

·
Super Moderator
17,555 Posts
Hmmm....lots of dealer inventory, rental agencies, we may be on to something here...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Beautiful, not scary!

Tourist driving in S.F. in general is not a good thing. Was on a trolly when some folks in a rented car cut in front of the trolley. Before that day, I have never seen a car tossed in the air before. It landed on a another car next to it. Not too much damage to the trolley.
Yes our indestructible PCC cars, coolest public transportation ever.

Once, many years ago, in Philadelphia, I saw one hit a *garbage truck* that had stopped too far from the curb. Knocked it a looong way down the block.

The only benefit of tourist in Smarts is they are more likely to be in fear and less likely to take chances and if they do, it will cause less damage to the city.
Nah, smart cars aren't scary to drive and San Francisco isn't scary to drive *in* unless a driver is unfamiliar with urban driving. And our views are so gorgeous that they more than make up for any mild anxiety.

~Doug

·
Registered
405 Posts
I sold all the rentals and have been half heartedly trying to sell my Cabriolet. I don't really want to but finances are pushing me in that direction...

It's as loaded as they came from at the time including LoJack and the Kenwood headunit with NAV and all the other features except a rear view camera, which can be installed as it's supported by the unit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts