Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired by another thread, I would like to know how to get the parts for the MHD to upgrade my smart. I know there is a larger alternator and the eco button, but what else is involved? How do I get the parts? And how would the installation be done? Looked on evilution and I didnt find anything.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Since it is selectable, it most likely involves a switch on the "gearshift", some ECU remapping, and possibly some reinforced hardware to secure the heavy duty starter/generator.
And probably more... :rolleyes:

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,112 Posts
I think there's a lot more to it than just those parts. The computer software control necessary to stop the engine at the right point in the combustion cycle so that it can be restarted easily with the least amount of effort/wear/tear must be a tricky piece and since the alternator isn't running when the engine stops, the battery and control software for vehicle electronics must be a piece of work too.

I think it would be quite an endeavor. If I was going to go that far, I'd go for a diesel retrofit! :)

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Im thinking software wise its probably already there. The MHD was released about the same time my 09 was made.
I couldnt copy the url of the photo but here shows the module. I bet this is all that is necessary software wise.

Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia
That looks like a device to change the default from "on" to "off". As he said «he wanted his MHD fortwo to start with the MHD turned off, therefore giving him the opportunity to turn it on if he wanted. He then went and designed a rather neat and compact solution to the problem.»
The controlling electronics must be somewhere else.

·
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That looks like a device to change the default from "on" to "off". As he said «he wanted his MHD fortwo to start with the MHD turned off, therefore giving him the opportunity to turn it on if he wanted. He then went and designed a rather neat and compact solution to the problem.»
The controlling electronics must be somewhere else.
If its anything like my toyota and the cruise, all we had to do was install the part. I wish Evilution would weigh in on this.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Maybe a PM directing him to this thread or asking him where we can get the parts would help with this. Maybe he could make a few or an electronics expert here on the forum could make a few and sell some for us. I like the off and ECO button too. I would probably replace my coin holder next to my cabrio button with the ECO button.

·
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe a PM directing him to this thread or asking him where we can get the parts would help with this. Maybe he could make a few or an electronics expert here on the forum could make a few and sell some for us. I like the off and ECO button too. I would probably replace my coin holder next to my cabrio button with the ECO button.
Sent. And yep, thats what I was thinking.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So HI there,

Just have been "bumped" threw pm to come here.
I am not sure what is exactly your question.

Am I correct if i understood " can we upgrade a 451 to a "mhd" type threw some electronic change ? "

K

·
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So HI there,

Just have been "bumped" threw pm to come here.
I am not sure what is exactly your question.

Am I correct if i understood " can we upgrade a 451 to a "mhd" type threw some electronic change ? "

K
Well, obviously the alternator needs to be upgraded, but my question really Is what needs to be done to upgrade a 2009 smart to MHD?

Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sadly it is lot more complicated than you expect.

Not only is the alternator different, engine self is totally different. For exemple, there are some special pins and fixation's point designed to receive the specifique pulley and belt system (a complete different system than the one on US or turbo engine).
Engine wireness are also different, same as the catalysator (compare to a US one), and the list goes on...

It is not some electronic customisation, it is a complete different engeneering of the powertrain function, that have a deep impact in many aspects in the car.

So I wounldn't recommend you to try to do this.

K

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Definitely NO.

The alternator and the starter motor are a single part, the wiring is slightly different and the coding in the ECU is different too.

The reason some people find it hard to copy and paste the pictures on my site is because it is designed that way. Every time you do that it's ME that pays for the bandwidth. That's why I appreciate it if people don't post pictures from my site to threads as the pictures linked get shown every time someone looks at the thread. Please, in the future can you link to the page on my site, that way if people want to look then they have a choice and my bandwidth doesn't suffer so much. Currently breaking the 60GB a month limit and having to pay penalties for it. Linked pictures from forums take up about 12GB of it hence wanting to cut down on this happening.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts