Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by the "Smart Center" in Bloomfield today, and talked to one of the Smart corp guys (white shirt standing at entrance). He says they are right on schedule for both the building and the first Michigan deliverys around Jan 1st. :D

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PX too big, sorry!

Still can't control the pix tech, but getting better. Here you are Harleyduo.

This dealership building is huge for such a little car. It's much larger then the Saturn dealer down the street. :D

Cut off in the far right frame is the service dept. It is larger then the show- room seen in this pix. The lot was full of work trucks and I could not get the clean shot I wanted. I will bring my ladder next time.

A2jack.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
This is also smartusa headquarters. They think it is a perfect opportunity for the corporate types to see the sales floor in action.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks for the update

I'm glad the building is coming along, but somehow in my mind I thought they would be much further along than that, since they were starting with an existing building and it looked 'bare' a couple of months ago.

I know we are all SO EAGER to get that call to come to dealership for the next step. I'm curious as to whether we will be summoned BEFORE or AFTER our little cars arrive.

It's good to know that the clock is ticking down to that eventual happening.
Thanks for keeping us informed.

Those of us who live a distance away from the dealerships need to rely upon those who have opportunities to see them progressing to be reassured that it is all REALLY happening, even though we don't see it regularly.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Commercial construction can, when needed, proceed *very* quickly. I wouldn't worry (it's not like you're waiting on a major metropolitan bridge or anything ;) ).

·
Registered
671 Posts
I agree. I don't know what it is. I've had several new cars in my life, including several high performance sport cars (Porsche, Corvette, Trans Am, etc), but I have never had such excitement as I am having waiting on this little car. Tell me what is so different. You would think someone would be more excited for a fast sports car or new truck. But I'm truly excited about getting a smart and can hardly wait till I get mine. You would think I was a little kid before Christmas. Go figure.....

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Address.

Not sure of the address. It's not the same as corp HQ.

The dealership is on Telegraph rd in Bloomfield Hills, about a MILE N. of Square Lake rd.

It is on the east side of Telegraph road. off the parking lot of Lowe's, (where they held the test drives).
Drive into the Lowes parking lot and drive to the far North end of the lot... You will see the Bld.

Corp HQ is in a tall office building a couple of miles South. :)

A2Jack.

·
Registered
347 Posts
There is an address listed on the smartUSA website under FAQs. Click on the last question and you'll get this address:

smartUSA distributor LLC
1765 Telegraph Rd.
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302

That's not the same address as given on the newsletters (2555 Telegraph) so I'm betting that it's at least the temporary address for the office trailers behind the building, and maybe the permanent address.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Would like an update on the Michigan Dealership

Well folks, I guess you can say I'm needing a 'fix' by hearing the latest news on the Smart Dealership in Bloomfield Hills, MICHIGAN.

For some reason, I guess I thought that with Michigan being the US Headquarters, the Michigan dealership would be one of the FIRST to open up and get a feeling for how things were going to proceed. It now appears that dealerships in several other states are 'ahead' of the Michigan one.

I know everybody may also be working towards the North American International Auto Show and that may be stealing some focus from opening local stores, but I would think that the Detroit Area would want to make a very favorable impression in its own right.

If those of you who drive by the Telegraph location regulary could give us other 'lost souls' an update it would be fantastic and greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Old pix, but still not ready for business.

HD: Wife went by Bloomfield last week. Building still lacks outer covering and has no signs. Some finiish work being done to the shoroom but no where near ready for a Jan 2 opening.

Posted a reply to your question on CsC, but I guess you didn't read back after your post. :confused:

A2jack.

BTW: there are no smart cars anywhere around the building. I don't think the new 451s have even landed in Baltimore let alone made it to Michigan.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I watch you guys get excited about your pending ownership. It's neat to see. I can reflect on what I've seen in the past 20 months in my personal experience. I've said it before in this forum, clubsmartcar, Smartenthusiast and in many commentaries to various news articles. Many times in life one's anticipation can steal from the real moment. The expectation is so great, that it can result in a bit of a letdown when the real "moment" arrives. I need to tell all of you who read this that it will NOT happen with your smart ownership. Your time with your smart will get even better the second day, then the third, etc. I know there will probably come a time when the car may become a just a good friend rather than the total delight it is in the beginning... but it hasn't happened yet in my 20 month's of unbelievable fun in driving this little guy.

My joyous Christmas wishes to all of you, but an even more joyous New Year awaits you with your smarts. You are all pioneers in a market that will explode around you. Enjoy the ride. Smart cars WILL change America, one smile at at time. Just watch.

Ron Gaus, aSmartCar.com

·
Registered
152 Posts
smart center Bloomfield test track

AH HA .... so the home team is going to have an onsite test track. Leave it to Mr. Penske ;) to pull the trump card.

When I was by the site last week, it seemed the the parking lot curbing was a little strange - now it all makes sense.

·
Registered
152 Posts
BTW: there are no smart cars anywhere around the building.
Should have gone around the back a2, the service department was full of fortwo's in various stages of disassembly. Looked like they might have been having some type of tech training.

I'm still thinking they will open soon after the 1st.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Test Track

AH HA .... so the home team is going to have an onsite test track. Leave it to Mr. Penske ;) to pull the trump card.

When I was by the site last week, it seemed the the parking lot curbing was a little strange - now it all makes sense.
smart Center Virginia Beach will also have an on-site test (demonstration) track. A less hair raising environment than the bustle of Virginia Beach Blvd.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Should have gone around the back a2, the service department was full of fortwo's in various stages of disassembly. Looked like they might have been having some type of tech training.

I'm still thinking they will open soon after the 1st.
The showroom is nearly complete as well. The walls and ceiling are complete, some furniture is being installed and there was a car on the showroom floor Tuesday afternoon. Also one parked out back by the temp offices.

The sign is also up on the south side of the building (facing Lowe's).

Progress!! :D

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Progress at Bloomfield.

This is good news :)

We plan to be tooling around that test track ASAP.

Anyone know if the cars they have are USA 451s?

'll bet they are prepping for the Auto show.

A2jack.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts