Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some research and plan to keep this updated. I took the time to do a side by side comparison on the warranties of all the 'micro cars':

Micro Car Warranty Comparison Chart​

I am under the impression that SmartUSA is working on improving the warranty, but nothing official has been announced as of the post date.

·
Super Moderator
29,153 Posts
I think some would say the MINI is not a micro car (hence the name MINI) but most U.S. buyers see all "small" cars as the same so smart might as well face up to that. The Scion IQ and the Fiat 500 are definitely smart competitors (even though the IQ isn't on sale here yet) and as your chart shows the 500 throws in 3 years of free routine maintenance. smart USA/DVI has already seen this suggestion; it would go nicely with the 3/36 warranty extension on the 2012 models. :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think some would say the MINI is not a micro car (hence the name MINI) but most U.S. buyers see all "small" cars as the same so smart might as well face up to that. The Scion IQ and the Fiat 500 are definitely smart competitors (even though the IQ isn't on sale here yet) and as your chart shows the 500 throws in 3 years of free routine maintenance. smart USA/DVI has already seen this suggestion; it would go nicely with the 3/36 warranty extension on the 2012 models. :)
I am in high hopes they will give the MBUSA warranty, but at the same time I am not naive (just very hopeful).
I added Mini as a comparison since most people consider it when they consider a smart, as I did.
If they matched Fiat, I would be truly happy! :D
If they want to be truly competitive they almost have to...

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
M-B is working on uping the warranty for new cars that are under the wings of the Mothership and won't be retro-ed to the older cars.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
M-B is working on uping the warranty for new cars that are under the wings of the Mothership and won't be retro-ed to the older cars.
You are probably correct there. I just hope they can beef it up enough to make it enticing for us to upgrade at some point...

If not the Fiat has an amazing warranty and is pretty neat little car. It will be a hard choice if they can't step up a bit... Will wait and see.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
You are probably correct there. I just hope they can beef it up enough to make it enticing for us to upgrade at some point...

If not the Fiat has an amazing warranty and is pretty neat little car. It will be a hard choice if they can't step up a bit... Will wait and see.
I got that info from a reliable source.........someone from the Mothership:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fix It Again Tony 500

remember what F.I.A.T. stands for!! Saw a dealer today (while picking up my 2011 Passion, my 3rd Smart)....almost all the 500's come loaded with options so they are in the 20's..significantly more than our Smarts.

·
Super Moderator
29,153 Posts
remember what F.I.A.T. stands for!! Saw a dealer today (while picking up my 2011 Passion, my 3rd Smart)....almost all the 500's come loaded with options so they are in the 20's..significantly more than our Smarts.
Congrats on joining the "third smart" club! :cool:

Barry Prosser and I spent the day car shopping yesterday and drove another FIAT 500; it was not bad but you're right, most of the ones in the showroom (and they had a huge inventory) were between $17.5K and $20K. For that, though, you get some zippy stuff like digital A/C, satellite radio, Bose stereo, the rear disc brakes and of course, a "real" manual transmission complete with clutch pedal. :D

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
bad-mouthing the competition is no way to sell your product. It also must be that people prefer their 500s loaded up since they are, so far, selling the dog out of them compared to the smart:rolleyes:

I'm afraid you guys are underestimating what MB will have to do to make significant inroads into increasing sales of the fortwo. So far, they got kind of a bad reputation so I think the need to go into Korean car mode and offer a long-term standard MB warranty on the car 4 year 50K with free maintenance (much like the Koreans did after their initial offerings fell apart). They need to get people to the showroom AND sell them a car while they are there!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino (Italian autos made in Torino)
I owned two Fiats in the past ...an X 1/9 and a 2000 Spider. My wife owned a Brava. The combined time of ownership of all three cars was over 35 year. They are like any other car...YOU HAVE TO KEEP UP WITH MAINTENANCE!! If more than the 500 were come over this way, I'd probably buy it in a heartbeat. They ARE good cars. :)

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino (Italian autos made in Torino)
I owned two Fiats in the past ...an X 1/9 and a 2000 Spider. My wife owned a Brava. The combined time of ownership of all three cars was over 35 year. They are like any other car...YOU HAVE TO KEEP UP WITH MAINTENANCE!! If more than the 500 were come over this way, I'd probably buy it in a heartbeat. They ARE good cars. :)
yeah I drove a FIAT Punto for 6 months while over in Israel working. It was a great little car -- peppy, good MPG and I never had a lick of trouble with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congrats on joining the "third smart" club! :cool:

Barry Prosser and I spent the day car shopping yesterday and drove another FIAT 500; it was not bad but you're right, most of the ones in the showroom (and they had a huge inventory) were between $17.5K and $20K. For that, though, you get some zippy stuff like digital A/C, satellite radio, Bose stereo, the rear disc brakes and of course, a "real" manual transmission complete with clutch pedal. :D
Of course I bought my brand new "value" Pure for the smart official MSRP of $10,990 in May 2011 so the lowest cost of a smart seems be lower than that on the comparison table...

Doug :)

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
bradgarbus, you forgot to add 4 year 50,000 mile road side service, on the Fiat 500. Some of the warranty emission items, are good for 100,000 miles too. Wish I can pull the info, from the DVD owners manual. Need some kind of Adobe reader to down load.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I did some research...
Thanks for putting this together! I must say, if you do the math, it really tells one story and if you look at it only on the surface, it tells the opposite.

With 2-years of ownership and nearly 30,000 miles, I paid $10K less than those listed and have spent much less than $1K in maintenance (doing every listed service with OEM parts only & including a set of snow tires and wheels). Pocketing over $9K negates every poor comment about smart warranty/service to me!

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Of course I bought my brand new "value" Pure for the smart official MSRP of $10,990 in May 2011 so the lowest cost of a smart seems be lower than that on the comparison table...

Doug :)
that was, it wold appear, heavily discounted and perhaps no A/C? You have to discount something when you can't sell it. Evidently FIAT isn't having that issue with the 500. You might have saved a couple thousand bucks over a Pop, but got a lesser equipped car, as well as less utility. IF you got what you wanted, that's the important thing. The utility is remembered long after the price is forgotten in either case.

·
Registered
16 Posts
that was, it wold appear, heavily discounted and perhaps no A/C? You have to discount something when you can't sell it. Evidently FIAT isn't having that issue with the 500. You might have saved a couple thousand bucks over a Pop, but got a lesser equipped car, as well as less utility. IF you got what you wanted, that's the important thing. The utility is remembered long after the price is forgotten in either case.
The "value" Pure model included A/C and each dealer would get perhaps one car each month. I assume the idea was to be able to say the entry price for a 2011 smart was $10,990 which made it pretty much the least expensive new car in the USA. It appears the moment Mercedes took over they eliminated the "value" models. It's a bit of a shame, since the ability to say "the MSRP starts at $10K" could be helpful to salesmen. Yet now Mercedes set up a nice inexpensive lease program that is very attractive too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts