Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Eric's opportunity is pretty tempting. It sounds fun and simple for set up. Otherwise the suggestion to go to Wis Dells in late may works for me. I'd prefer to avoid the Holiday weekends as people may have family gatherings then.
Madison -- Dells

Close together. Use the Madison event as a date, and use the Dells as a home base for a midwest event. Less than 45 min away with two Highways to chose from (one more scenic than the other, and there is even an option to take a ferry on a more scenic route.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Eric's opportunity is pretty tempting. It sounds fun and simple for set up. Otherwise the suggestion to go to Wis Dells in late may works for me. I'd prefer to avoid the Holiday weekends as people may have family gatherings then.
I didn't even think about family gatherings because we don't really do them on those holidays, but it is a good point. Either place works for me.

Have we decided whether it's going to be just Mid-West or is it going to be US?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Jeff started this as a midwest rally, lets keep it that way. I like the Madison date. Smart USA can organize a national rally, maybe Woodward Av.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Oh, there is no way I am planning on hosting a USA Rally for this summer...well maybe I could. But I'd need help. Anyway I am going to focus on this rally in DEPTH during winter break. I'll start getting costs, maps, activities, and other stuff organized for all of YOU to see. :)

So far, I've seen the Wisconsin Dells, Car Show...and that's it for activities. I will get rough information for a Smart Weekend out soon! :D

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Okay, so I wanted to get started early with my planning efforts...I'm bored:

Driving times to Wisconsin Dells:

• From Minneapolis----3.5 hrs
  • From Des Moines----5.25 hrs
  • From Indianapolis----6 hrs
  • From Duluth, MN-----5 hrs
  • From Chicago, IL-----3 hrs
  • From Kansas City, MO--8 hrs
  • From Souix Falls-----5 hrs

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
Okay, so I wanted to get started early with my planning efforts...I'm bored:

• From Portland, OR ----- 1 day, 4 hours :D

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Sorry Suze, I knew there was one missing time to add! And by the way, we should officially have a prize for the furthers traveled Smart!

Also I added an event on Smart USA insider to get that crowed the heads up.

What is everyone's opinion on Late May? May 29th-31st? Or June?

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
Sorry Suze, I knew there was one missing time to add! And by the way, we should officially have a prize for the furthers traveled Smart!
:)... I think you're doing the right thing ~ planning for your regional meet. Plenty of people will have ideas for "other stuff" This is known as scope creep - It will kill any project quicker than anything! Stick to what you have time and energy to organize and let me know what SCOA can do to help! (that's my new job, ya know!) :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Speaking as one who lives in Kansas City, uh... wow, that's a long drive! :eek: Not unbearable, but I doubt I would make the trip. One day to get there, the weekend itself and one day to get home = more vacation time than I want to spend! But that's just me.

I love the idea of a BIG get together of Smarts, but I wonder if it might not be worth considering to have (pick whichever word you like) several / a bunch / tons of smaller meets on the same day. I'd wager we can get at least 50 Smarts together in KC (being conservative), and there are quite a few active clubs that may be able to do likewise, so... perhaps cumulatively we could achieve a BIG meet.

I know, it ain't the same, but if we're already agreed (are we?) that a national event is out of our present reach, why not aim for that goal NEXT year, when there are twice as many of us. Let THIS year's goal be the successful establishment of multiple Regional Smart meets, thereby laying the groundwork for a "joining" next time.

Don't know if it will actually work that way (my idea may simply lead to more regional meets next year), but the practice would sure be good!

Don't construe anything I've said to be "I don't like your idea!" I DO! I just want it to be closer! :cheers:

·
Registered
20 Posts
:)... I think you're doing the right thing ~ planning for your regional meet. Plenty of people will have ideas for "other stuff" This is known as scope creep - It will kill any project quicker than anything! Stick to what you have time and energy to organize and let me know what SCOA can do to help! (that's my new job, ya know!) :)
Suze,
You are totally right about scope creep! I've seen many projects abandoned because of it!

I simply enjoy seeing car communities getting together and the Smart cars have always been on my list of cools cars. I sat in a four four at the Chicago Auto show a long time ago and thought it was great.

If the Dells is the chosen location, you may not want to try to come down and do Madison as well. It takes a while to get down here, plus, since many people will be driving to the event, they may not want to plunk themselves down for another couple hours of driving when there are already so many activities right there in the Dells.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I have to agree eric, I am coming from Minneapolis, I don't want to drive anymore once I get to my destination. (I mean in terms of LONG distances)

One City is all we need. Now we need ideas for activities. Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
28,440 Posts

* From Minneapolis----3.5 hrs
* From Des Moines----5.25 hrs
* From Indianapolis----6 hrs
* From Duluth, MN-----5 hrs
* From Chicago, IL-----3 hrs
* From Kansas City, MO--8 hrs
* From Souix Falls-----5 hrs
* From Portland, OR ----- 1 day, 4 hours
You can add 9 hours from Columbus, OH. :)

PS - If there are enough cars, people might consider a caravan from each state or central locations.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I can do late may and into June

If we plan this in Mid to early May, not only are the average high in WI still not near their peak, I may still be at school!!!

After July 4th people tend to be busy. I say June 12-14.

·
Super Moderator
28,440 Posts
I have to agree eric, I am coming from Minneapolis, I don't want to drive anymore once I get to my destination. (I mean in terms of LONG distances)

One City is all we need. Now we need ideas for activities. Anyone?
Wisconsin Dells Attractions: Complete List of Things To Do

Some thoughts: smart cookout/BBQ; low speed autocross (fun event); scenic drive; car show; tech tips session (need some dealer techs); drive-in movie (do they have one?)*, lunch at the A&W, etc. :)

*Yes they do! http://www.bigskydrivein.com/

·
Super Moderator
28,440 Posts

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Coming from Washington DC?

• From Washington, DC -- 15 hours (3 days driving realistically?)
[*]From Washington, DC -- 15 hours (3 days driving realistically?)

41 - 60 of 394 Posts