Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is where I will gather your responses into an easy to read topic where you can see when you want to leave for the Dells from your respective location. Remember this "convoy" is something designed to be fun and safe. (Drive safely and the convoy can break apart with traffic). Along the way you can meet with your fellow drivers at a set location, set up a stopping point(s) along the way where people can gather again and get a snack/restroom then go back on the road. It should make it more enjoyable and build the excitement for the rally!

For example, since I am coming from Minneapolis:

• Minnesota Drivers
    • Meet at Smart Center Bloomington at 12:30pm, Leave at 1pm
    • Route time ~3.5 Hrs. Stop in Osseo, WI for 10-15 minutes.
    • Arrive at the Dells by 5pm
  • Central Iowa Drivers
    • Meet at Des Moines, then drive up and east on 20 to Dubuque ~3 hrs. Then at 3:30pm leave from Dubuque meeting with the other drivers towards the Dells north on Hwy 61 to 151.
  • Eastern Illinois Drivers
    • Meet at Smart Center Lake Bluff (Contact them for more info)
  • Wisconsin Drivers
    • Meet at Smart Center Milwaukee (Contact them for more info)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Chicago caravan! We have 2 options from what I can see on Google mpas. We can meet at Old Orchard Mall on I94 and go up to Milwaukee and then across to Madison,pick up I90 to the Dells.Or,meet at IKEA/Woodfield Mall in Schaumberg,take I90 to Madison.
Let's pick a meeting place and figure something out from there.This also includes those coming through Chicago.
Let's do this!!!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
The easiest place for us Iowans would probably be in Dubuque somewhere or towards the center of the state around Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, or Iowa City/Coralville area.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Ohio anyone? We'll probably join up with the Indy folks at some point. :)
Just my 2 cents
But folks comming from the east, Think about the southern path through IL and comming up 39 to rockford first. The further south you cross, the less congestion you will get.
I90 shortest, Most congested with most tolls
I88 will break free after Aurora
I80 is clear after Joliet

Rochelle is a good stoping point. Also good for those comming in from Davenport/ Quad Cities area.

·
Super Moderator
28,274 Posts
Just my 2 cents
But folks comming from the east, Think about the southern path through IL and comming up 39 to rockford first. The further south you cross, the less congestion you will get.
I90 shortest, Most congested with most tolls
I88 will break free after Aurora
I80 is clear after Joliet

Rochelle is a good stoping point. Also good for those comming in from Davenport/ Quad Cities area.
My thoughts exactly - don't want anything to do with the Chicago area toll roads and traffic congestion. :)

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your coming from Des Moines, its faster to take 35 up to Albert Lea, then head east on 90. It saves about 45 mins versus going through Dubuque on Hwy. 20

·
Registered
874 Posts
We could get a couple groups together in Indiana and meet up somewhere near where US30 and I65 meet in Merrillville. I'll do more looking to find a specific location!

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool, once you get a specific location post it here, as well as specific stops. Then I can add it to the first post.

·
Super Moderator
28,274 Posts
We could get a couple groups together in Indiana and meet up somewhere near where US30 and I65 meet in Merrillville. I'll do more looking to find a specific location!
Just looking at the map, us Southerners will probably head over to Bloomington, IL on I74 from Indy and then straight up I39 until we hit I94 to the Dells. :)

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RB, since your going into Dubuque, you should meet up with the Iowans traveling from there. It can be a rest stop for you. Plus it is only 2.5 hrs from Dubuque, IA.

·
Registered
358 Posts
RBsmart, we live in Iowa City, Ia. which if your taking 61 due north it turns into Hwy. 218 when you hit Iowa which will run right by Iowa City/Coralville. If you want to drive up with us just let us know what time your taking off and we'll meet up with you.

If anybody else from Des Moines, Quad Cities, or nearby want to convoy up, just pm me or post here.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
RBsmart, we live in Iowa City, Ia. which if your taking 61 due north it turns into Hwy. 218 when you hit Iowa which will run right by Iowa City/Coralville. If you want to drive up with us just let us know what time your taking off and we'll meet up with you.

If anybody else from Des Moines, Quad Cities, or nearby want to convoy up, just pm me or post here.
Again my 2 cents - since this is all before you get to me.

Des Moines has several options depending on other groups to meet up with. 80-88-38 and meet up with others in Rochelle
80 - 151 right into Madison and up 12 or 39 to the dells
or what Jeff suggests

If your in the quad city area then 80- 88- 39 and Rochelle grouping again.

Those comming up 39 should plan on a second regrouping at the rest stop just over the WI IL Border (soon after the Tolls)

·
17,356 Posts
Chicago caravan! We have 2 options from what I can see on Google mpas. We can meet at Old Orchard Mall on I94 and go up to Milwaukee and then across to Madison,pick up I90 to the Dells.Or,meet at IKEA/Woodfield Mall in Schaumberg,take I90 to Madison.
Let's pick a meeting place and figure something out from there.This also includes those coming through Chicago.
Let's do this!!!!
Even though my coming will be a last minute decision, Schaumberg is way out of my way.

I suggest the Gurnee Mills Mall... It's next to Six Flags: Great America (my 1st job :)). It's 15 minutes from the WI border, we can meet up there and us up in northern IL (me hopefully) can meet up with the Chicago and other smart drivers.

P.S. Just a warning, Gurnee's roads are an obstacle course...

·
Registered
358 Posts
I doubt I'll drive an 1 1/2 west to Des Moines, but I like the idea of meeting up with some of the Chicago crew in Rochelle off 88 and 39. RBsmart, you could still come up and meet us here in Iowa City and we'll head east or you could leave from Quincy and cut over east on 24 through Peoria at then straight up 39 and meet us in Rochelle, what do you think?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts