Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My milage has decreased from 39-40 mpg to 32-35 mpg since I upgraded the transmission. This also coincided with summer and hotter weather (read 'a/c on more often and higher'). No driving habit or route changes. Anyone else have a similar experience since the tranny upgrade? or with a/c? Just trying to figure out why the significant change. Still drives great. I'd had 6 months of 39-40 before this change, now 3 months of consistently lower milage. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
It's the A/C all the way. Ever notice that on larger cars with read out computers, one get this great mileage at around 45-50 mph and then at the end when one fills it up again so quickly you wonder why.
Well...I conclude that waiting at a traffic light for a while or waiting for an extended time while your spouse runs to the store with that 6 cylinder idling and A/C on is the main reason. That's why a little 3 banger comes out on top by consuming less. I guess it's kind of self evident.
My dream would be to own a Turbo-Diesel version of the Fortwo with good mileage with good acceleration. Does such a car even exist from the manufacturer?

·
Registered
62 Posts
to the desil post. just get the desil version and go slap some 1000cc injectors and a holset hx-30 on there and you will be set. it will get good gas as long as u stay off the pedal but if you do then just think of opening up a bottle of water or w/e and pouring it out that about how much gas you will use lol trust me i no.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's the A/C all the way. Ever notice that on larger cars with read out computers, one get this great mileage at around 45-50 mph and then at the end when one fills it up again so quickly you wonder why.
Well...I conclude that waiting at a traffic light for a while or waiting for an extended time while your spouse runs to the store with that 6 cylinder idling and A/C on is the main reason. That's why a little 3 banger comes out on top by consuming less. I guess it's kind of self evident.
My dream would be to own a Turbo-Diesel version of the Fortwo with good mileage with good acceleration. Does such a car even exist from the manufacturer?
I've got the CDI fortwo and love it, you can tell its a diesel when u first start or when idling, but wouldn't swop it for the world now, i love my little black smartie, lol

·
For sale pm for details
2,033 Posts
I've got the CDI fortwo and love it, you can tell its a diesel when u first start or when idling, but wouldn't swop it for the world now, i love my little black smartie, lol
Rub it in to all of us americans lol I wish we could get a cdi over here.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hello "fairweather" from Arlington Texas! Are you in our DFW smart car club?
we try to meet once a month at a resturant and enjoy meeting new people and seeing what smart ideas we have come up with to make the car even more fun or fancy.

Back to the subject... My gas milage took a 3 or 4 mpg jump after the tranny upgrade, it runs better and shifts smoother, then I started using the A/C and it dropped down below where it was before the upgrade. The verdict is out until the temps drop I think.

Hope to meet you in the future!
Vicki from Duncanville

'08 yellow/silver

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to everyone who responsed

Sound like A/C is the culprit and that I'll be able to verify it once the days cool down -- sometime in November perhaps. Thanks to all!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts