Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 453 and mileage seems ok right around 34mpg! My question is can i go to 200-250 on a tank any one drive that on a tank? And seems like the gas guage is always off but who knows

·
17,384 Posts
I get about 45-50 mpg with mine. 200-250 miles on a tank is normal for 34 mpg, that's about 5.8-7 gallons of fuel.

Theoretically you're supposed to be able to put in 8.7 gallons when you fill up, however smart USA has concluded that they simply made a mistake in all of their advertising materials and the car's manual. The fuel tank isn't "8.7 gallons including 1.3 gallon reserve", it's "8.7 gallons including 2.9 gallon reserve". So the miles you drive and the amount you put into the tank are now considered normal by smart USA.

Reactions: Smart Bob

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the reserve on the odometer when fuel light comes on isnt correct? And ive gone to 0.3 and it didnt fill up to 8 lol

·
17,384 Posts
Theoretically, when you reach 0.0 gallons there is supposed to be another 1.6 gallons left in the tank. At least that's the last word from smart USA on this issue was. Supposedly they were going to reprogram the fuel gauges and amend the manuals...but instead they just decided to stop selling ICE smarts entirely.

I still wouldn't go past 0.0, the fuel pump needs a chunk of fuel for cooling and it's unknown how far you can safely travel past 0.0 without sputtering out or overheating the pump.

Reactions: Smart Bob

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i should go over 200 miles easily without running out of fuel i usually get in the 40s on mog but the weather in oklahoma seems to mess with it this time if year

·
17,384 Posts
Hmmm...looks like the dealers are amending the manuals now. It's just so weird though, they could just fix the programming in the fuel gauges and we'd all be happy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 2008 451 and I usually get over 300 miles before I fill up. I have checked my MPG on every tank fill up since new and my average MPG is 40-45 depending on the type fuel I purchase. I started using 87 octane a few years ago because of the price difference and I haven't noticed any change in MPG. I have run the fuel gauge down to 0.2 many times and it usually takes about 8-8.5 to fill it up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2016 453 and only get around 28mph. Sometimes, if its a long trip - we will get around 35 - but its very rare. My gas guage typically goes empty between 160 to 180 miles on a full tank.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I have a 2012 451 and I usually get 325 to 350 miles before having to fill up. It is a Smart Fortwo Passion that I bought used at Smart Center Lynnfield, Lynn MA.

I thought the 453 had a smaller engine but it was turbo charged. I will check the online site for my local Smart Center.

·
17,384 Posts
Every generation of smart has different ranges on a tank of fuel, so the distance a 451 or 450 can travel on a tank is incomparable to what a 453 can do. The 453 has a smaller tank and a smaller (898cc turbocharged) engine than the 451. The manuals advertise fuel quantities that are different than experience, hence the confusion that often occurs with adopters of 453 ICE vehicles.

As more 453s end up on the used market, more people are going to figure out that the fuel tank just doesn't work as advertised in their manuals. Thankfully the dealers are amending every manual they can get their hands on...though that does require the car to actually reach the dealer first.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have a 2008 451 and I usually get over 300 miles before I fill up. I have checked my MPG on every tank fill up since new and my average MPG is 40-45 depending on the type fuel I purchase. I started using 87 octane a few years ago because of the price difference and I haven't noticed any change in MPG. I have run the fuel gauge down to 0.2 many times and it usually takes about 8-8.5 to fill it up.
EG, when you get down to 0.2 you still have some range left as your 08 451 has a 10 gallon tank. Putting in 8 to 8.5 gallons means you still had 1.5 to 2 gals. as a reserve.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The gas gauge in my 2017 453 though not at all linear, is always 100 percent consistent. I pair it with the trip odometer and try to fill up at the 225 to 250 mile range. I could go farther but gasoline cools the fuel pump so why chance shortening the life of the pump. My gas mileage is almost always 39 mpg. There is a fairly great amount of a/c use in my 100 per cent Florida driving, and my trips are not long. One tankful during a cool period where there was no a/c use I approached 50 mpg.
I have one thing to say about the 453, I LOVE THIS CAR. It is everything that I had hoped my 451 was, when I ordered that car.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,721 Posts
The manuals advertise fuel quantities that are different than experience, hence the confusion that often occurs with adopters of 453 ICE vehicles.

Thankfully the dealers are amending every manual they can get their hands on...though that does require the car to actually reach the dealer first.
Doubt there is much "effort" going into amending the owners manual today as it was so much easier to just DISCONTINUE the 453 ICE. :shrug:

That's what makes Miss Mercedes and the SCoA "support group" so important to the brand . . . :bigthumbup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im going to run mine till it says 0.1 and see what the pump says and my mileage is. So i should be totally fine with running that low right?

·
17,384 Posts
I've run mine past 0.0 on numerous occasions. It should drink just over 7 gallons. If you're one of the lucky ones, it'll somehow drink 8 or more gallons.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 passion purchased new and have always used premium 92 grade. I am very frugal so buying that HURTS !!!! How many miles do you think you have driven since you switched grades of gas?? have you noticed any performance issues or engine noises you would contribute to the change of gas grades?

·
17,384 Posts
I have a 2008 passion purchased new and have always used premium 92 grade. I am very frugal so buying that HURTS !!!! How many miles do you think you have driven since you switched grades of gas?? have you noticed any performance issues or engine noises you would contribute to the change of gas grades?
Welcome to SCOA! :D

My 2012 451 has 144,000 miles on it as of today. I'd say maybe 30,000 of those miles were driven on Regular octane 87 fuel. In the summer, you'd be hard-pressed to notice the difference between 87 and 92. You'll lose maybe a mpg or two and the performance difference is negligible.

In my experience, the story changes entirely when it's the dead of winter. I'll lose at least 5 mpg, the engine will be extremely sluggish, and every once in a while a cylinder decides to throw a P030x code. None of that happens so long as I use at least 89 octane.

Of course, a disclaimer: My thermostat appears to be stuck open so the engine has a super hard time getting to running temp in the dead of winter. My engine also almost died a couple times.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts