Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Seems like someone else posted this last week. I'd buy that little Mini. Strange they would work with Toyota, on a small city car. Since the IQ wasn't a stellar selling car. Maybe their looking into Toyota quaitly, and engineering. The styling concept, is much nicer then the new smart.

·
Banned
682 Posts
Seems like someone else posted this last week. I'd buy that little Mini. Strange they would work with Toyota, on a small city car. Since the IQ wasn't a stellar selling car. Maybe their looking into Toyota quaitly, and engineering. The styling concept, is much nicer then the new smart.
Agreed...very cool concept!

:bigthumbup:

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Very cool concept. I've always liked the Mini's, but just couldn't justify the $$$.

From the article, it sounds like a production version is several years off though...

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
So a warmed over blast from the past (2011 Mini Rocketman concept) will allow Mini to finally compete with the smart ForTwo? Why?

Although this could be a healthy reversal in Mini's GO LARGE trend? A throw back Mini with a length of only 135.0 inches could bring back some purists but I doubt the price tag will be mini?

Not sure about those double-hinged doors . . .

·
Registered
185 Posts
Topspeed: Mini Prepares Competitor for Smart Fortwo

Mini Prepares Competitor for Smart Fortwo

Head of Design, Anders Warming.

Details are being kept under wraps for now, as the Brits are still developing the idea, but Warming says the Rocketman could become the base of a Smart ForTwo competitor. “For sure, a Mini should always be a small car , so a new city car would be appropriate for the brand. At the moment, we don’t have the right tech solutions, but we are working on it. We don’t yet have a final solution, you could say," he noted.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Hey, they got the right man on the job . . .

Head of Design, Anders Warming.

Three years later, "At the moment, we don’t have the right tech solutions, but we are working on it. We don’t yet have a final solution, you could say," he noted." :shrug:

Or to read between the lines - since that darn smart ForTwo is such a threat, we are warming over our 2011 Rocketman concept . . . :laughing:

·
17,345 Posts
Strange they would work with Toyota, on a small city car. Since the IQ wasn't a stellar selling car. Maybe their looking into Toyota quaitly, and engineering. The styling concept, is much nicer then the new smart.
Toyota and BMW are supposedly working on a sportscar, so it wouldn't surprise me that their relationship would go even deeper. :shrug:

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
The red and white picture above is a very nice take on this MINI...but it might be a little claustrophobic without a sunroof. It gets back toward the original Mini's roots.

Is the orange version above a regular sized MINI?

·
17,345 Posts
Is the orange version above a regular sized MINI?
Correct! That's the new (current) generation Cooper. If you haven't seen one in person, prepare to be amazed. The new ones are huge for a car that calls itself MINI. :)

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
Correct! That's the new (current) generation Cooper. If you haven't seen one in person, prepare to be amazed. The new ones are huge for a car that calls itself MINI. :)
My wife drives a MINI Countryman..,,that one is bigger than the newest MINI but the newest MINI makes my 66 Mini look like a pedal car. The red and white version shown above is going in the right direction for the MINI but I understand the need for the company to make the cars that people want to buy. I applaud them for considering this new smart competitor.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts