Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for a graduate level school project. There is no compensation and we plan to release the video upon completion.

What is the difference between the MINI and the smart?

When you purchased your smart, why did you not choose the MINI? We're curious about what you think the differences are? It will help us make our video. If both brands were people, what would they look like?

We really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The MINI was way more expensive than the smart, and was too big for me (I need to fit 2 cars in a single carport--you can't do that with MINI's)

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
The Mini Pretends to have a Back seat. The smart doesn't pretend to be more than it is.

And the mini was out of my price range and the Mileage sucked

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'd driven a Mini (specificaly a Clubman S) a fair bit (including from DC to Mass and back). It handled well, but there were a lot of things that I just didn't like about the controls, and some things I just couldn't get used to (such as its fully electronic turn signal cancel mechanism.) It was OK to drive, but for the price and mileage, I decided that I'd never want to own one.

Then I was looking for a car, primarily for my son to drive, and the smart just made sense. The controls, though more basic than the Mini were just right for the car. To me, the smart just seemed right, where the Mini was just "wrong".

As a footnote, I was discussing my smart yesterday with the colleague who normally drives the Mini (it's a company car), and his comment was that the smart is what the Mini should have been! Keep in mind, he's from the UK, a car geek, and a fan of the original Minis.

·
Registered
9,063 Posts
...getting in and out is no contest..specially if all of your body hurts at the end of the day...

jetfuel...where's that Icy Hot at?

·
Registered
177 Posts
When I test drove the mini I found it handled better, had a nicer ride, more power and was available with a true stick shift. I liked the idea of being able to order one exactly as I wanted. (Which is also true of the smart.) However, it was significantly more expensive than the smart and didn't get as good gas mileage. I commute 40 miles each way to work and wanted the very best mileage possible without having to pay a premium for a hybrid.
If this were my only car I might have bought a Prius.

·
Banned
284 Posts
My 2cents worth...I've owned 2 Mini's...(a standard Mini & a Mini S)...both were wonderful vehicles...but have little in common with my Smart. In my opinion...the Smart is a low cost micro vehicle for urban commuting. The Mini's were certainly more expensive...and were more of a performance alternative to the standard sub-compact. Both the Smart and the Mini offer unique transportation alternatives...but in a different size and price niche...:D

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
My father owns a very expensive mini cooper which I would love to have. I chose the Smart car because of its higher safety levels over the mini cooper and how much more room you have in the Smart car and its uniqueness to see one on the road versus the mini. Also, for the Smart car versus the mini, in the mini, I sit very low and feel like my head is level to the tires on SUV's versus the Smart car's height advantage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For us, easy parking was the key advantage. I believe the smart car is a safer and I like the greater visibility. We live near the coast and rust is a problem for us. Road dings quickly become rust spots -so the plastic panels are much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Me buy a British-built car? <<shudder>>

But seriously, it is too expensive for what it is, even though I like the fact that they now have Peugeot engines in them.

I am not a big fan of pastiche cars, that is, models that emulate old styles at the expense of originality.

We never considered buying one for a second.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I prefer the smart.

I looked at the mini (I owned an original when I lived in Australia).
Being 6'7" I am always concerned about fitting into any vehicle (You really don't want to see me in a Miata)
Once I am in a mini, I fit very well.
The issue is the contortions required to actually get into it?
I rented one for a day, and decided that I really don't want to go through all that multiple times per day just to drive a unique car.
With the smart, I just open the door and get in, no contortions.

Having said that. I would really love to get a MOKE here in the US. (Had one of those in Australia too).
They are a BLAST to drive, but have a safety rating worse than v-8 powered roller blades (No airbags, No crumple zones, single roll bar) When I bought mine in '84 seat belts were an additional cost OPTION?
But it was still tons of fun to cruise around in.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I had 2 minis, had a 2008 made and shipped from oxford. The mini is a cute car but very expensive to maintain , liked it but way to low of a car for where I live.

I must say I have much more fun driving my smart then the Cooper plus it cost me half the price oh and better on gas..

·
Registered
429 Posts
I liked the Mini, but...

I wanted an agile 2-seat cabrio. The cost for fun ratio of the Mini is significantly higher than the smart and I drive for the fun/sport aspects over getting from point A to point B.

Really, what's the point if you're not having loads of fun along the way?

·
Registered
295 Posts
More money + Less MPG = No Deal

Unless you need the rear seats, in which case there are much better vehicles you can buy - as someone else mentioned a Prius.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The smart is just a much better looking car! While the mini attracts attention due to it's size, smarts attract it because of it's style AND size!

We never gave the mini a second glance and it was its design that first caught our eyes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts