Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety test of minicars is making the news this morning. Here's the original report:
News releases
It has a table with results in various categories.

smart didn't make the list.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I really would like to know the smart's outcome. On ABC they just compared a Suburban being 18ft long and 7400 lbs. as an alternative for your driving pleasure.
Obviously I'd park my little car and give up. That is not reality however, because there will always be someone bigger than you.
I have a belief that the smart has that magic cage which will keep me safe under almost all conditions. I realize in such an accident the smart will rotate and bounce away when it's struck in one of its corners, just hopefully not into another vehicle. I consider this cage a walnut shell. Will I really be safer in a Toyota Corolla, Civic, Jeep Patriot or whatever? Will I be safer in the smart than in the aforementioned cars? I want to know!

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Look at the boxing ring. Heavyweights don't go up against Bantams. On the street you need to punch above your weight class. There are a lot of "nut crackers" out there.

Our smarts are good at keeping down the intrusion into the passenger compartment. What we lack is crumple zone to slow down the sudden stop. Our cars rely on what we hit for most of that. Hit a concrete wall you are done.

Transportation is a risky business. You can get killed in planes trains or even riding the bus. Not going to stop enjoying my motorcycle.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Not sure the smart would hold up to the new test. It got plastic doors. You could be ejected out. The compliant of the 500, the door sheared off. Not much meat, in that corner of the smart car.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Uh, the door skin (panel) is plastic. The problem with the 500 is the door came open. Didn't happen with the smart in the ADAC 50% overlap test. :)

This is not the 50% over lap test. The 500's door was sheared off its hinges, on the new test.

·
Banned
682 Posts
Our smarts are good at keeping down the intrusion into the passenger compartment. What we lack is crumple zone to slow down the sudden stop. Our cars rely on what we hit for most of that. Hit a concrete wall you are done!
Agreed...the lack of a significant crumple zone is the "wild card" to Smart's safety quotient!

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
Not sure the smart would hold up to the new test. It got plastic doors. You could be ejected out. The compliant of the 500, the door sheared off. Not much meat, in that corner of the smart car.
I'm not so sure about that. IIRC, the smart door hinges are connected to the Tridion cell, so even this small overlap test would have to get through the safety cell to tear the door off. Not saying it couldn't happen, but the Tridion may be a differentiator in this test.

·
17,350 Posts
Yep! All of the tested cars have a traditional unibody. I'd be very interested to see how the Tridion Cell would stack up...the NHTSA video I posted gives a clue, but it was performed under more extreme circumstances...

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
A walking helmet is a good helmet

So much for Carlin's thinning of the herd . . .

Thanks to the visionaries at The Danish Road Safety Council and Trygfonden, an insurance company.

This 2009 Danish campaign poster reads:

"A walking helmet is a good helmet"

"Traffic safety isn't just for cyclists. The pedestrians of Denmark actually have a higher risk of head injury. The Danish Road Safety Council recommends walking helmets for pedestrians and other good folk in high risk groups."

Copenhagenize.com - Bicycle Culture by Design: A Walking Helmet is a Good Helmet

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Yep! All of the tested cars have a traditional unibody. I'd be very interested to see how the Tridion Cell would stack up...the NHTSA video I posted gives a clue, but it was performed under more extreme circumstances...

The smart didn't look good from the top view of the video, to me.:crying:

Did they mention the results of that test?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts