Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
17,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So many hearts will be broken in one post, I was afraid to do it...

The little sample of my dream car hit a snag this weekend. Long story short, during the move today someone had spilled nail polish remover on MiniNeon. The paint bled in many directions and now there's lint and stuff stuck to the poor little thing, not to mention the windscreen has some abrasions on it.

The one that did it apologized and reimbursed me $30 to either repaint or replace it.

So, seeing the impossible (stripping the car of the cheap paint and repaint) I see this as an opportunity to let my imagination run wild.

So inspired by one of the SM smarts I started Project Black.

MiniNeon would be painted black (using Krylon Fusion) and get his wheels and windows to match. The chrome will be left where it is because it'll only make it look cooler.

The shell would be dropped on a faster, more precise chassis to get that smartbusa effect in there.

My "NEON" plates would be left as is because they're awesome.

To be on the safe side I haven't touched the car since the incident and I haven't bought anything as of yet...Maybe the paint could be saved even though it's in a linty red/black mess?

·
5,297 Posts
:eek: :sorrysign::sorrysign::sorrysign:

I am sending you another red one with a sheet of chrome.
Period.
No further discussion (as I am not "remotely" debating my decision)
Will not accept payment.
Will ship Monday.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,637 Posts
So many hearts will be broken in one post, I was afraid to do it...

The little sample of my dream car hit a snag this weekend. Long story short, during the move today someone had spilled nail polish remover on MiniNeon. The paint bled in many directions and now there's lint and stuff stuck to the poor little thing, not to mention the windscreen has some abrasions on it.

So inspired by one of the SM smarts I started Project Black.
OMG, who would have ever thought that in less than a week, this would turn into a made for TV virtual reality show?

I am sure that the nail polish compromised the Makrolon roof panel, got crazing? Oh wait that's another thread! :D

Sorry for your moving mishap - please share the adventures of Mini Neon II.

·
17,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
:eek: :sorrysign::sorrysign::sorrysign:

I am sending you another red one with a sheet of chrome.
Period.
No further discussion (as I am not "remotely" debating my decision)
Will not accept payment.
Will ship Monday.
That's unbelieveable! :jawdrop: :)

The SCOA community sure is one great group, that post nearly brought me to tears...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

P.S. I recently educated my mom on the smart's safety using that R/C car (I gestured towards the trid and made a slight comparison towards NASCAR and the other long list of safety features)..

She wants me to get a cabrio...:D

P.P.S. That mostly bled shell (I can upload pics if one is that curious) could be easily dropped onto that other R/C at a cost of the interior...

·
17,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, no pics..I was such in a "what just happened?" kind of mood that my actions were moving faster than my brain...

That and the move crew was saying "TAKE CARE OF IT LATER!!! LIFT THIS COUCH!!"

Right now, the innards stripped shell lay in the garage...

·
5,297 Posts
Sorry, no pics..I was such in a "what just happened?" kind of mood that my actions were moving faster than my brain...

That and the move crew was saying "TAKE CARE OF IT LATER!!! LIFT THIS COUCH!!"

Right now, the innards stripped shell lay in the garage...
Get it out of the garage, put it in the red bag that came with it (controller goes in the little red bag inside); take it to your room and keep it there beside the computer in plain site until the new one arrives and you can transfer the insides to the new one after applying the chrome.

·
17,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay!

What are the needed tools to applying vinyls?

·
Red Roller Skate
3,895 Posts
Oh my God, they killed MiniNeon! You nitrocellulose dissolved in a solvent (e.g. butyl acetate or ethyl acetate)! :puppy_dog_eyes:

·
5,297 Posts
Okay!

What are the needed tools to applying vinyls?

Look at the pics on Dropshots.

I used several strips of masking tape over the Tridion; scored the edge with a ballpoint pen, carefully peeled the tape unit off, placed the tape on a plain piece of paper, then cut out the cell's pattern plus an extra 1/4- 3/8" around the pattern.

Scotch tape the pattern to the vinyl. Cut out the vinyl.

Reverse the pattern (for the other side), then cut piece # 2.

gently place over the Tridion cell centering the cut piece; then start at one edge and peel/stick rubbing it in on 1/4- 1/2" at a time until the paper back is off and the vinyl is rubbed onto the cell.

Use a flat toothpick along the edge to seal the edges.

Take an xacto knife (new blade) and cut/peel the extra off. Repeat the other side. I'll send enough to do both of them considering I only used about 10 inches out of a 14 foot roll.

·
17,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I had to make a makeshift desk to take photos...

The remover really attacked the middle of the service panel. Me trying to clean it up only lead to white smears in every direction...

Even the smart emblem and those crystals melted/fell off.

The front plate is slowly deteriorating away, for some odd reason it just won't dry out or something...

One big glob of paint fell off here

And finally the roof, which originally was nearly completely white, but using much of the black paint I had from AutoZone (used for touch ups on the Envoy's plastic pieces) I was able to restore some of it back...

I have some Krylon Fusion in Satin Black (more of a matte finish) and this poor shell is just asking for a second chance...

·
Red Roller Skate
3,895 Posts
I had to make a makeshift desk to take photos...

The remover really attacked the middle of the service panel. Me trying to clean it up only lead to white smears in every direction...

Even the smart emblem and those crystals melted/fell off.

The front plate is slowly deteriorating away, for some odd reason it just won't dry out or something...
One big glob of paint fell off here

And finally the roof, which originally was nearly completely white, but using much of the black paint I had from AutoZone (used for touch ups on the Envoy's plastic pieces) I was able to restore some of it back...

I have some Krylon Fusion in Satin Black (more of a matte finish) and this poor shell is just asking for a second chance...
Those images make babies angels cry. :puppy_dog_eyes:

.... the masterpiece :blowingup:.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts