Smart Car of America Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
The sky was falling when the smart center closed and the dealership kept changing hands. At this point the sky has fallen and everyone is just hoping MB will pick up the pieces.

Ive noticed fewer and fewer smarts on the road around the Twin Cities. I didn't want to abandon Smart but they abandond me first. More power to those who are willing to stick with it, but my suggestion is to at least look into getting something different while your smart still has some value.

Closing your eyes and hoping MB gets its act together before you have a serious problem is a big risk especially if you're out of warranty.
Very well put neutron256. There are those that will take umbrage at what you've posted, even if Smart pulled out of the US entirely, which I think is in the not too distant future. I wish MB would do the right thing, but I don't see that happening. Until they do I will try to steer as many people away from Smart as I can. Maybe we should sing the praises of the Yugo so those poor souls that got stuck with one could get an uptick in value. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
Looking at the posts from the dealer in Wisconsin, they are aware of our troubles and do offer delivery of new cars to Minnesota. They have been very helpful when I needed parts and have mentioned opening a satellite service place, nothing in motion yet.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Looking at the posts from the dealer in Wisconsin, they are aware of our troubles and do offer delivery of new cars to Minnesota. They have been very helpful when I needed parts and have mentioned opening a satellite service place, nothing in motion yet.
Most car dealers would do the same, anything for a sale. But why buy a car without a local service, repair & warranty center. I love my little car, but in the end its just a cheap little car that isn't worth the hassle of buying without a dealer presence. Now maybe some people bought them for different reasons, but a lot bought them for what they are, a cheap little economy box & nothing more. That being said, I have heard good reviews on the Madison dealership, but I would never buy another one of these from any dealer, unless Smart became a viable brand with a proper sales & service network.:)

·
Registered
229 Posts
This sounds like a reasonable solution to the situation. We are apparently already within the Madison dealers service district. I hope this is an option that MB is considering.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Rumors are smart is working on opening a service center here somewhere in MN. Madison has been great to work with for getting parts ordered and shipped to my door. But then again, I'm one who does work on my own car and have purchased alldatadiy.com to get service info.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Parking Partner

Last year I had a coworker that also owned a smart. We shared a parking spot - it was very cute to see two smarts parked next to each other.

That coworker has since moved on to a different employer. This year my parking mate is driving a FIAT 500 cabrio. I have to say that the FIAT is a beautiful car. It is a little longer but that is not an issue since we are parking in and end spot.

She bought her car in Brooklyn Park. I have dealer envy.

I will need to take some pictures to share on this forum.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am close to making the Fiat switch... I have a 2011 that I traded my 2009 for last year. But with no dealer support, it may be time to dump the support. Also, I wish Smart could learn from Fiat... Something called advertising and support goes a long way to gain support from the buying public.

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
In their defense, Madison has gone out of their way to try to support us here in Minnesota, not exactly the same as having a dealer within 100 miles but they are trying their best.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Madison has been great so far. No complaints at all, and I haven't even had the urge to sell my car (Unlike it seems like everyone else...)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I love the car, I don't want to sell it. I am sick of people asking me where to get one. Fortunately for me, I have not had to use Madison yet.

-Jim G

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Curses, foiled again! and I thought I was lurking so well. :D

You spotted me. Oh, Well. Where ever you go, there I are. You've outsmarted me once again.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts