Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped in at the Bloomington Smart car dealer today. The office is pretty much ready to go. I talked with one of the managers for a bit.

I was told that they will be having a soft grand opening on Sat. A press release will be in the paper.

So far they only have the list of folks getting cars in Jan. They shouldve been contacted already or very soon. I was also told that the reservation number doesnt mean anything. They are expecting about 30 cars give or take every month. The first cars should be showing up next week sometime. They were expecting to have the entire list of reservation holders soon. I was told to stop back next week and they should be able to tell me when my car would be here. They will have a car for the showroom as well as a couple of demo cars for folks to test drive.

Sounded like there was in the neighborhood of 700+ reservation holders for the MN office. But only 400+ cars expected in 2008.

Thats about all for now. It will be nice to know when exactly the car will be showing up.

Waiting patiently

MnMadMan

·
Registered
517 Posts
It'll also be nice to know where we are in that list, so we'll have a rough idea when/if we'll get a car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update 2 1=18-08

I stopped by the Bloomington dealership again today. They have cars!!!

Not awhole lot yet, but I was told to stop back on Sat if I want to test drive the new demo car.

Sorry to say they dont seem to be able to look in the computer to see where you might be on the list. I was told they only have the list of Jan deliveries.

So the wait continues.

Since its gonna be so cold this weekend, it might be a good time to go look at the new cars.

Anyone else get any phone calls yet?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I stopped by today on my way to a client and asked almost the same exact things. My big thing is I want to find out if I'm low enough on their list, to know if I'm going to get a car this year (ie: if I'm number 3xx out of 400 cars).

I'm going to try to stop by tomorrow morning for a spin. Hopefully it'll include 494.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Over there and Yonder, but not here. :D
The big trip miles put on my car have been accrued driving to the dealer. Ten minutes to the MB dealer down the street, which won't even order parts for you if you have the part number. SOOO NOT COOL
Now, to make smart attractive to the dealers, maybe they need a CAFE incentive in the way of smarts to access the availability of MB cars. If it's happening to corporate...
Maybe corporate needs to roll out the "did you want fries with that?" in the way of a commuter car or convertible with any Benz. Maybe a Brabus Touring edition with cushier but grippy tires that help reduce buffeting certainly with a turbo and possibly a sport mode as well as an eco mode.
It would also include heat and sound attenuation materials under the rear carpet and under the engine lid, better than on stock. Quiet it down so one can enjoy the nicer radio at highway speeds.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I read that MB promised an answer in "weeks not months" at the Dells rally. Yesterday I got this in an e-mail from MB:

"We are certainly sure that you would like to see a Smart center in your area to share your love of the brand with others.

The Smart brand is certainly growing and hopefully there will one day be a Smart center in your area.

We appreciate your passion and interest in the brand."

I hope that 'one day' is not their final answer.

·
Super Moderator
28,689 Posts
I read that MB promised an answer in "weeks not months" at the Dells rally. Yesterday I got this in an e-mail from MB:

"We are certainly sure that you would like to see a Smart center in your area to share your love of the brand with others.

The Smart brand is certainly growing and hopefully there will one day be a Smart center in your area.

We appreciate your passion and interest in the brand."

I hope that 'one day' is not their final answer.
This was included in the reply (posted in another thread): "All of our authorized dealerships are independently owned and operated. "

That's really the issue IMHO - unless one of the M-B dealerships makes a business decision to take on selling smarts there's nothing M-B USA can do (including threatening to take away their franchise - I'd like to see that lawsuit!) So, this will be decided (again, IMHO) on a purely business basis. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
This was included in the reply (posted in another thread): "All of our authorized dealerships are independently owned and operated. "

That's really the issue IMHO - unless one of the M-B dealerships makes a business decision to take on selling smarts there's nothing M-B USA can do (including threatening to take away their franchise - I'd like to see that lawsuit!) So, this will be decided (again, IMHO) on a purely business basis. :)
Two IMHO's punctuated by a smiley face from Ohio becomes an "I told you so" that is faint praise for those of us in the midst of the struggle. We know that it is always about "business." But, it is our "business" to make it happen.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I think the biggest mistake is that they are handling the smart as a different item than the other MB cars. The m in smart stands for Mercedise, it has always been a M and if they are a MB dealer it should be handled as any other new model. Of course that is just my oppinion.:cool:

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Two IMHO's punctuated by a smiley face from Ohio becomes an "I told you so" that is faint praise for those of us in the midst of the struggle. We know that it is always about "business." But, it is our "business" to make it happen.
I don't think that was his intention at all. He is correct, MBUSA cannot force any dealership to take on the smart brand. When a contract expires, they can choose not to renew it, but they can't force it down anybodies throat. Depending on the wording of the local franchise contracts, they may be able to force their hand at renewal time and say:" take the smart, or lose the franchise", but in the middle of a contract, they are pretty much helpless.

Maybe the real problem lies within your local MB dealerships? They may be smiling and friendly on the outside when you discuss smarts with them, but secretly.... they may just want you out the door. They don't want you to leave upset, afterall, you may eventually want to move up to a MB.:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't think that was his intention at all. He is correct, MBUSA cannot force any dealership to take on the smart brand. When a contract expires, they can choose not to renew it, but they can't force it down anybodies throat. Depending on the wording of the local franchise contracts, they may be able to force their hand at renewal time and say:" take the smart, or lose the franchise", but in the middle of a contract, they are pretty much helpless.

Maybe the real problem lies within your local MB dealerships? They may be smiling and friendly on the outside when you discuss smarts with them, but secretly.... they may just want you out the door. They don't want you to leave upset, afterall, you may eventually want to move up to a MB.:)
Smiling and friendly, maybe, but when they comment, "Isn't the engine Japanese and the car made in France?" they tip their hand. However, I agree with your analysis and with the reality of a reduced 2011 inventory stateside, "next year" might be all we can hope for here in Mn.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I downloaded a picture from smart insider. Go to Gallery, move to extreme smart cars, click on smart Benz. If the smart really looked like this there never would have been a problem.:cool:

·
Registered
874 Posts
I called the MB dealership here in Fargo to see if they would service my car. The woman SOUNDED sweet until I said the words "smart fortwo." She said "No!" and promptly hung up. She didn't even give me the chance to ask if they knew of any place that would or even thank her.

Looks like I need to study those videos and do my own service...

:think:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I called the MB dealership here in Fargo to see if they would service my car. The woman SOUNDED sweet until I said the words "smart fortwo." She said "No!" and promptly hung up. She didn't even give me the chance to ask if they knew of any place that would or even thank her.

Ouch!

That's just bad customer service, even if they don't want your business. I've never really seen myself as the type who would drive a MB, but this whole experience gives me a very dimm view of them.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts

If I were you, I'd call the MBUSA toll free number and report that dealership immediately. No matter what you drive, you just don't treat people that way.:(

·
Registered
203 Posts

B***S***.....; theres a lot MB can do. I don't care if they ever sell another car, Smart or otherwise, all I care about is getting what I paid for.....a car with a warranty. If none of their MB dealers want to handle Smarts so what, money talks & BS walks, have an independant shop nearby to the old one handle warranty claims until the suckers warranty expires & then write off the smart brand as a good idea that didn't quite work out & move on. As far as I can tell the brand is dead & MB is cutting its losses. :(

·
Registered
229 Posts

I wonder if MB could threaten their independant dealers with opening additional franchises (that would also sell smarts).:confused:

1 - 20 of 134 Posts