Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 134 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,232 Posts
Isn't that what they had?? I still think they should have struck a deal with the current dealers in areas where they did not have an alternative dealer to provide support until they had a MB dealer ready to take over.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The next time-line seems to be the 2012 smart ad campaign slated for October. You might surmise that either there is a dealer in Minnesota by October or we might plan for winter caravans to Madison, Wisconsin. It would seem on the surface that this forum and the insider "shout" has done little but elicit some sympathy and/or irritation from those outside of Minnesota.

·
Super Moderator
11,232 Posts
I like the idea of having a 'smart orphan rally' possibly up in the cities somewhere and invite the media. Nothing negative just a big picnic, or something, maybe a tech session as we have no dealer support (local) and maybe some smart car games or???
just a idea... at a city park or ?? how about some suggestions...

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
From
i saw a forum on... | Facebook

Steve Campbell Still need some dealers in Minnesota for these poor folks up there who own Smarts! And...MB, where is the national advertising? You guys need to GET on the ball, since Fiat already has.....
6 hours ago · Like
smart USA Hi Nathan, thanks for your feedback. We’re currently in the process of adding more smart centers across the country. The mid-west is definitely on our list. You can track our progress on smartusainsider.com if you’re a member. If not, we invite you to join us there too. And Steve, keep an eye out on the Facebook page this coming Monday! (spoiler alert)

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Well, I have some news for you Minnesota smart owners. Today I got to spend most of the day with our regional rep whose area includes Indiana & Minnesota. He is a young guy, very enthusiastic about the brand, and was very interested in what I had to say as an owner. We discussed a lot of things, including the situation in your area. He kind of gave me the scoop on what is going on.

He didn't mention any names, but here is why you don't have a dealership: In Minnesota, there are 3 MB dealerships that could have taken a smart center. Two of them are "under performing" dealers, meaning either sales and/or service reports are not good. In the case of these two, it's poor service reviews. They are not eligible to get a smart center due to their poor ratings. He told me, the last thing he wants to do is give you guys a dealership that won't perform and end up with even more upset owners. I have to agree with that.

The third dealership, has absolutely no interest in selling smarts. They won't even discuss the idea. Again, he's not going to force it down their throats(not that he can), because then they would resent it, and you would get treated badly there as well. So now MBUSA is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Two dealers that can't get smart, and one that won't(which is what I guessed a couple of months ago).

So, the solution??? He told me that they have gotten approval from Germany to set up a service only facility in the Miniapolis area. He wouldn't tell me who or where, but he did tell me that he is going to be spending a lot of time in the area over the next 4 weeks finalizing everything. From MBUSA's perspective, it's going to be a logistics nightmare. How to get parts, warranty approval, etc. But he said it's the right thing to do to help you folks. Of course the long term goal is to get a full dealership in the area to service you guys fully.

Anyway, I thought I would pass along this little glimmer of hope. I know it's vague, and probably not totally what you want to hear, but at least it's a glimmer of hope.

After talking with him, I do believe that he honestly wants to fix the situation, and he understands we are not MB owners, but far more passionate about our cars. He seems like a really good guy who wants the brand to grow.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well, I have some news for you Minnesota smart owners. Today I got to spend most of the day with our regional rep whose area includes Indiana & Minnesota. He is a young guy, very enthusiastic about the brand, and was very interested in what I had to say as an owner. We discussed a lot of things, including the situation in your area. He kind of gave me the scoop on what is going on.

He didn't mention any names, but here is why you don't have a dealership: In Minnesota, there are 3 MB dealerships that could have taken a smart center. Two of them are "under performing" dealers, meaning either sales and/or service reports are not good. In the case of these two, it's poor service reviews. They are not eligible to get a smart center due to their poor ratings. He told me, the last thing he wants to do is give you guys a dealership that won't perform and end up with even more upset owners. I have to agree with that.
The third dealership, has absolutely no interest in selling smarts. They won't even discuss the idea. Again, he's not going to force it down their throats(not that he can), because then they would resent it, and you would get treated badly there as well. So now MBUSA is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Two dealers that can't get smart, and one that won't(which is what I guessed a couple of months ago).

So, the solution??? He told me that they have gotten approval from Germany to set up a service only facility in the Miniapolis area. He wouldn't tell me who or where, but he did tell me that he is going to be spending a lot of time in the area over the next 4 weeks finalizing everything. From MBUSA's perspective, it's going to be a logistics nightmare. How to get parts, warranty approval, etc. But he said it's the right thing to do to help you folks. Of course the long term goal is to get a full dealership in the area to service you guys fully.

Anyway, I thought I would pass along this little glimmer of hope. I know it's vague, and probably not totally what you want to hear, but at least it's a glimmer of hope.

After talking with him, I do believe that he honestly wants to fix the situation, and he understands we are not MB owners, but far more passionate about our cars. He seems like a really good guy who wants the brand to grow.

Interesting.....very interesting. Sounds that came out of the same manual the rep at the Dells was using.
But I'll keep my fingers crossed that maybe this is a little more than corporate BS.

·
Super Moderator
11,232 Posts
At least it is a glimmer of hope. There is a MB dealer in Rochester (MN) that may qualify, I know it is a drive, but it is closer than Madison.

I would offer my support if there is anything I could do to help. 4 weeks would put it in November which is a tough time to sell cars. Maybe they will need an event to get things started, a parade of smarts could be impressive...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Well I think this explains a lot. We know what the dealer is who doesn't want to sell them but would be nice if MBUSA could acquire the old SMOBloomington dealer building and service smart from there.

·
Registered
858 Posts
WhiteNBlack08: I disagree with your statement that we are not MB owners. The M in smart IS Mercedes. MB is the importer and why they didn't just put the MB star on them in the first place is beyond me.:confused: That simple action would have prevented all the trouble and misunderstanding. The dealers would not be able to say we don't want this as it is a MB model.:cool:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought my Smart from Lupient in Brooklyn Park and my hope is that they become the temporary service headquarters. They were very good to deal with.

·
Super Moderator
11,232 Posts
Thats like saying a Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Cadallac, etc. are all Gmc and all should have the same emblem. They are different divisions of General Motors. Same with MB and smart.

The statement about NOT being a MB owner is more of a statement about owner attitude

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
WhiteNBlack08: I disagree with your statement that we are not MB owners. The M in smart IS Mercedes. MB is the importer and why they didn't just put the MB star on them in the first place is beyond me.:confused: That simple action would have prevented all the trouble and misunderstanding. The dealers would not be able to say we don't want this as it is a MB model.:cool:

Man, you really need to read the book smart, small car, big deal And you will realize how untrue your statement is. While MB did a lot of the engineering, smart was set apart for a reason.

We ARE NOT typical MB owners nor do I personally want to be classed as one. I was actually impress at how much the regional guy understands that we aren't typical MB owners. He "gets it" and was very interested in an owners perspective. It was nice to be able to have a conversation with him and have him be honest and upfront about how things are going.

I thought I would be nice and share a little info I was able to gather while talking to the regional rep. Sorry you guys think it's corporate BS again. I was there, you weren't. I understand you guys being upset and feeling abandoned. All I was trying to do was tell you that they are trying, and I thing we have a really good rep going to bat for us. He's not an MB guy, he was hired earlier this year to represent smart.

Take it for what you will. After seeing how passionate he was about the car, I think he is trying to do the right thing.

21 - 40 of 134 Posts