Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on my way to a Food Lion just over the line in SC. Traffic is awful - backed up and bumper to bumper
- just crawling along which I guess turned out to be a good thing. All
of a sudden I get rammed in the back and pushed into the car in front of
me. I was expecting a fair amount of damage, but fortunately it felt a
whole lot worse than it was. Guess the bumper to bumper 5 mph traffic
was a good thing. State police were called and the trooper filled out an
accident report form indicating that only the driver behind me was at
fault. Damage to all three cars was minimal fortunately and no one was
hurt.

I may take the car to a body shop to have them take a look and see if
there is anything that needs to be repaired that I missed. I'll give the
at fault driver a chance to make things right before I turn it in to
insurance.

Photos attached - hard to really see any significant damage.

Len

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are a couple of dimples in the rear panel, most likely from the car's license plate. The car in front of me that I was pushed into had only two small dimples in his rear bumper that matched up to the screws in my license plate.

I wonder how available body parts are for the 451?

Len

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
There are a couple of dimples in the rear panel, most likely from the car's license plate. The car in front of me that I was pushed into had only two small dimples in his rear bumper that matched up to the screws in my license plate.

I wonder how available body parts are for the 451?

Len

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,095 Posts
MY08 -12 Pre-refresh/ED won’t swap wIth Len’s MY15 ED…

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I'm on my way to a Food Lion just over the line in SC. Traffic is awful - backed up and bumper to bumper
- just crawling along which I guess turned out to be a good thing. All
of a sudden I get rammed in the back and pushed into the car in front of
me. I was expecting a fair amount of damage, but fortunately it felt a
whole lot worse than it was. Guess the bumper to bumper 5 mph traffic
was a good thing. State police were called and the trooper filled out an
accident report form indicating that only the driver behind me was at
fault. Damage to all three cars was minimal fortunately and no one was
hurt.

Len
Important thing nobody was hurt.
Now I'd like to know if the driver that hit you was on their phone texting or talking.
I'm will to bet they were.
Most insurance companies will send an adjuster to your house.
If it felt worse than what it looks it probably was. Remember that plastic unlike metal if it doesn't break can rebound and hide damage has been done underneath. That's where an experienced adjuster can tell if there's more damage than what it looks like from the exterior.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,095 Posts
The front for sure, the back the main part maybe would work?.?.?.
True but the “damage” is on the lower valence with the silver insert.

And while the upper piece would likely fit, Flame Yellow was a new “molded color” and wouldn’t match the more pale yellow of earlier years.

It does appear that the paint scuff may buff off?

Unfortunately, off the shelf M-B inventory of factory panels appears to be nonexistent accept for hoods???

“Back in the day” a fender bender requiring both a hood and fender cost the other driver’s insurance around $300 including body shop labor. How SMART was that, try to get that with any other vehicle!

Should note that Len will be pretty particular about the repair, he is a car guy!

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Important thing nobody was hurt.
Now I'd like to know if the driver that hit you was on their phone texting or talking.
I'm will to bet they were.
Most insurance companies will send an adjuster to your house.
If it felt worse than what it looks it probably was. Remember that plastic unlike metal if it doesn't break can rebound and hide damage has been done underneath. That's where an experienced adjuster can tell if there's more damage than what it looks like from the exterior.
The experience insurance adjuster usually looks at the damage vehicle at the collision shop. They can’t tell if there is any real damage, till the car is disassembled. Auto Insurance companies, have their preferred body shops they like to use.
They can guarantee the work is done correctly.

The damage on the Op’s car is really minor. If they can find a new bumper part. The collision shop most likely will either buff out the damage, or fill the dimples. Repaint color match. 2 stage color. Base and clear.

Most likely the yellow color was molded into the original body panels.

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Talking/texting - I have no way to know for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me. The guy said to me "Geez you don't pay attention for a second and look what happens." I thought he might be under the influence, but the trooper said that the guy was recovering from a stroke - maybe??

My plan is to take the car to a body shop to get an estimate. Pretty sure the rear "bumper" needs to be replaced if it is in fact even available. Have to give the car a good going over today to see if there is anything that might show up that I missed initially. I offered the "at fault" driver the option of handling this outside of insurance. He was very cooperative and a former vet to boot. He hasn't replied to that yet. At least it appears that he was insured according to the police report. Hope that offer won't be a mistake. if so, there's always Judge Judy.

Have to dig around past posts to see exactly how to remove that back bumper and what kind of fasteners hold it in place, etc. I want the job done right. As MB DNA stated, I'm pretty particular about my cars.

Len

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Have your auto Insurance company, do the legwork. I’d notify them too. Let them fight it out with the other guys insurance company. You pay enough premiums. You got a police report too. Make sure you auto insurance company is aware of it.

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just did a crawl around under the car looking for any unseen damage. Found none which is a good thing. Only damage to the front appears to be my license plate. Nothing showed up in the back. All panel gaps seem to be undisturbed and I didn't see any clips or fasteners missing or out of place. So overall good news. Just want a body shop and/or adjuster to confirm that.

I'm going to Google info about R&R'ing the rear bumper. If any of you have a good link for that job, please share it. I will check on our forum as well as the Eviluton site.

Len

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
To see damage under the plastic gotta remove the bumper. It wasn't easy, (I've done it to install the smart rack), but doable with patience....

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
The experience insurance adjuster usually looks at the damage vehicle at the collision shop. They can’t tell if there is any real damage, till the car is disassembled. Auto Insurance companies, have their preferred body shops they like to use.
They can guarantee the work is done correctly.

The damage on the Op’s car is really minor. If they can find a new bumper part. The collision shop most likely will either buff out the damage, or fill the dimples. Repaint color match. 2 stage color. Base and clear.

Most likely the yellow color was molded into the original body panels.
I guess that was a inexperienced guy impersonating a Experienced State Farm adjuster who came to the house and spent almost a hour crawling around my wife's 09 Escape taking measurements and pictures :D
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, took the car to a body shop yesterday and now I've got additional issues. The damage to the rear is very minor, i.e. a couple of dimples and a scrape. I thought I'd like to get the part replaced, but not only does it appear to not be available, but in order to replace it, the entire rear end of the car would have to come apart. So then I thought that maybe the body shop could "fix" the dimples, rub out the scrape and repaint the part in place. Nope!! The body shop tells me that to just repaint the piece, it would have to be removed, thus once again getting into the "removing the entire rear end" again. So if that's the case, I'm back to trying to find a new part and using it. So if any of you have the center panel for the rear of a flame yellow Smart collecting dust, please let me know. The part number is A451 647 00 01 CE6L. Guess my other option is to not repair it at all and just cover my eyes when I walk around behind the car. :(

Len

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Okay, took the car to a body shop yesterday and now I've got additional issues. The damage to the rear is very minor, i.e. a couple of dimples and a scrape. I thought I'd like to get the part replaced, but not only does it appear to not be available, but in order to replace it, the entire rear end of the car would have to come apart. So then I thought that maybe the body shop could "fix" the dimples, rub out the scrape and repaint the part in place. Nope!! The body shop tells me that to just repaint the piece, it would have to be removed, thus once again getting into the "removing the entire rear end" again. So if that's the case, I'm back to trying to find a new part and using it. So if any of you have the center panel for the rear of a flame yellow Smart collecting dust, please let me know. The part number is A451 647 00 01 CE6L. Guess my other option is to not repair it at all and just cover my eyes when I walk around behind the car. :(

Len
Do they sell a primered/non-painted/non-colored version? I should have the instructions btw. (Didn't catch your request until a few minutes ago. Speed reading lately I guess)...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think I did see where they are supplying a part that fits multiple colored Smarts, so apparently that's a generic part that needs to be painted. I'd prefer not to go that route. The original part was molded plastic with the color all the way through. Of course that would be my choice if I even have one.

I did look up the procedure for removing that panel and indeed it requires removing the entire rear end side panels, disconnecting the charging port, etc. Looks like a huge PIA for the little bit of damage done.

Len

1 - 20 of 36 Posts