Smart Car of America Forum banner

Mirrors Vibrating

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Carl242 
#1 ·
So right since I got my car, there has been a major buzzing sound at certain RPM's (and certain frequencies after I put my sub in). When I say major, I mean really loud, and very abrasive. When I got a check engine light after the 1st 150 miles, I noted that to the dealer as I dropped the car off. They fixed the engine light, but they did not fix the buzzing.

After a while, I was able to actually locate the buzzing . . . its coming from my rear view mirror! If I hear the buzzing, and I push the lever on the mirror or squeeze the top and bottom of the mirror, the buzzing goes away. 10 minutes later, however, the buzzing will come back as whatever it is inside the mirror goes back into place.

Moreover, when I "silence" the rearview mirror, another, less audible buzzing makes itself apparent. I was able to localize this to the passenger vanity mirror buzzing against the roof, when the visor is up.

Does anyone else experience this? Do you think that I have a good case for the dealer to fix this under a warranty? In a brand new car I shouldn't have to deal with it sounding like 10 year old car that has been on one too many dirt roads :)

#4 ·
Your mirror/s are not the source of the noise, but rather where the noise is manifesting itself. I think it might be something along the lines of a wheel bearing or the like creating a vibration that is not necessarily bad enough to feel in the seat of your pants, but can cause a noise like the one that you are experiencing.

#11 · (Edited)
Is this an issue only with the passion/cabrio with electric mirrors? Do the pure's non-electric mirrors also shake? If everything is mechanically tight, could spurious electrical signals to the aiming motor be doing it?

It is too bad that you couldn't just pull the fuse and see what happens. But then you loose the gear selector lever control unit. There is a lot of stuff on the #20 fuse circuit besides the mirrors. What happens if you shut off the A/C and all audio?

Maybe a vibration at the mirror's electrical ground point? Or the door switch?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.