Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
mistyguchie here i had a problem with my smart-----misfire number 3 cylinder i changed gas , added heet, changed plugs, changed ignition coil wqs fine until 35 miles later then misfire again
2008 120000 miles other info see other post could it bre bad plugs?????
misfire prior to changes

·
Registered
746 Posts
Unclear whether you had the misfire first, and then did all the changes, OR... you had a misfire, did those changes and after 35 miles, the code came up again.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
The fact that you had an improvement, would lead one to believe you were having an affect in the right area. Did you try swapping injectors around?

·
Super Moderator
28,455 Posts
120K miles - amazing nothing else is wrong at this point. Did you get any OBD codes? Compression check on the cylinders (nice to know info but might tell you something...) If it's only #3 is the wiring to that coil pack OK? :)

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
mistyguchie here i had a problem with my smart-----misfire number 3 cylinder i changed gas , added heet, changed plugs, changed ignition coil wqs fine until 35 miles later then misfire again
2008 120000 miles other info see other post could it bre bad plugs?????
misfire prior to changes

A bad plug is possible, but unlikely with todays quality controls. Truth is, the misfire may have never went away. Are you diagnosing the misfire by a CEL code that the computer shows? If so, after a reset, there is usually a minimum number of times the fault has to occur before it trips the CEL. It may have taken 35 miles for that to happen. Unless it is a serious, or fatal fault, it won't trip the first time.

First thing I would do, is go to your local auto parts store and buy a quart of Marvel Mystery oil. Add 4 oz to every tank of gas until it's gone and see if it improves. You may have some carbon buildup on the valves, and that can cause a misfire. The MMO will help clean and lube the top of your engine, and possibly stop a $$$ repair.

I use the stuff regularly, and will pass 122K this next week.:) Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Swap injectors, coil packs and spark leads from #3 to a different cylinder. If the fault moves then you can narrow it down from there. If moving those does nothing it gets a bit more complex and I'd recommend a leak down test next to rule out mechanical failure (valves, gasket, rings etc)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Swap injectors, coil packs and spark leads from #3 to a different cylinder. If the fault moves then you can narrow it down from there. If moving those does nothing it gets a bit more complex and I'd recommend a leak down test next to rule out mechanical failure (valves, gasket, rings etc)
Junosi sorry you responded to a dead thread from 2013.

Unable to find anyone to work on the smart, " mistyguchie " traded in her smart back in April of 2014.

Take care

JL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts