Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post. I have only had the Pure for a week, While poking around the engine compartment, I noticed that the plastic vent cap on top of transmission gear shift motor is missing. Doesn't seem important, but must have been there for a reason. Is it necessary and if so how do I get another one? Does anyone have a part number? Searches turned up nothing but the entire shift motor. Will any sort of cap work? I have lots of plastic caps and other junk that might be adapted. Can anyone tell me the function/purpose of the thing. Thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
This is my first post. I have only had the Pure for a week, While poking around the engine compartment, I noticed that the plastic vent cap on top of transmission gear shift motor is missing. Doesn't seem important, but must have been there for a reason. Is it necessary and if so how do I get another one? Does anyone have a part number? Searches turned up nothing but the entire shift motor. Will any sort of cap work? I have lots of plastic caps and other junk that might be adapted. Can anyone tell me the function/purpose of the thing. Thanks
As far as I know it is there to help reduce crud getting into the transmission while allowing a path for air to keep things at atmosphereic pressure. Anything that fits over it and still allows some air to pass should be good enough. I'd offer to 3D print you one, but I'm not sure a 3D printed part would fare well in that heat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I know it is there to help reduce crud getting into the transmission while allowing a path for air to keep things at atmosphereic pressure. Anything that fits over it and still allows some air to pass should be good enough. I'd offer to 3D print you one, but I'm not sure a 3D printed part would fare well in that heat.
Thanks, I am going to see if I can find some kind differential vent cap that will work. I don't know what this says for the cleanliness of the inside of the shift motor. The top of the tube looked very clean and shiny compared to the base where it fits into the motor, so I am guessing it's not been gone too long.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Thanks, I am going to see if I can find some kind differential vent cap that will work. I don't know what this says for the cleanliness of the inside of the shift motor. The top of the tube looked very clean and shiny compared to the base where it fits into the motor, so I am guessing it's not been gone too long.
The shift motor internals aren't really accessible through the vent, it leads straight into your transmission. Once you get a cap, I would seriously consider flushing the trans or at least changing the oil. The oil is intended to last the "lifetime" of the tranmission, whatever that happens to be defined as.
I completely disassembled my failed set of shift motors as documented here for anyone interested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts