Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Nice, beefy looking timing chain on that baby...The oil filter's in an easy spot to reach, too. That looks like a pretty massive cam sprocket with a damper on it..hmmmmm...on the camshaft...or is that a balancing shaft? YEs, there's the cam shaft below with the 3 cam bearing caps. Overall nice looking configuration and compact for sure.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
I'm not too sure about maintaining an engine with all three pistons at top-dead-center at the same time!!

This also appears that possibly it isn't a direct overhead cam engine, but possibly a "high cam" engine.

But, no knock at all there from me, with a few productive motorcycle road races while "up" on the 250cc Parilla "High-Cam" single in my resumé. (I was a whole lot lighter in those early '60s days.)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Great pic!
Even though this is the turbo version, it is likely pretty much the same basic engine, minus the the turbo, the exhaust manifold and some water and oil lines. On the two engine I have and am familar with with-the 4G63 (2 liter I4) and the 6G72 (3 liter V6), the N/A and turbo version of engines are virtually identical except for oil squirters, pistons (which is where the compression is changed)and the camshafts. I would expect this will turn out to be a similar situation. As for that dampener, I think that is the MIVEC mechanism, which allows change of intake valve timing.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I think Mitspowerd is correct...there is NO balancers--- I did read in some of the literature that the motor had variable valve timing... looks like it is only on the intake side

In this view the fuel injectors are hidden behind the large black wire loom on the top of the foto.. The three items in the center are the COIL on Plug (COP) hiding the recessed plugs. Yet to be discoverd is, if or if not we will need a special tool to remove the plug HT leads as was necessary on the 450 series MB motors...

From this foto it appears to me that this is a typical COP, short "boot with spring" conection to the plug, and normal recessed plug. I doubt this motor needs any special tools for for normal maintenance.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
micronuts recent tech info thread, said usa getting a 10:1 not the 11.4:1, to allow different qualities of gas, etc.

I would think the lower compression will also add to engine longevity.
That doesn't match up with the output specs. None of the European engines with 11.4:1 are generating more that 71 hp. I can't see how they can drop the compression ratio 15% and still maintain that power on the same displacement engine, unless the European chip is really sandbagging. Usually it's us getting the milder chips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts