Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2014 Mirage seems to be the first real competition for smart. Not quite as small but priced about the same, it gets 40 mpg (44 highway) with CVT automatic transmission and 34/42 with standard.

For gas misers, this is a very interesting car. The new Ford Fiesta with Eco boost, due some time next spring, is rated at 45 mpg highway, but it is in a different price category.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Fiat's 500 is pretty good competition, at least in terms of what showroom traffic always tells me. The Mini Cooper is good competition. Honda Fit... good competition. Scion iQ is good competition. As is the Toyota Corolla. Honda Civic. Chevy Spark. Ford Fiesta.

All those cars are competitors according to my showroom traffic. For some reason I never hear about the Mazda 2 though...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fiat's 500 is pretty good competition, at least in terms of what showroom traffic always tells me. The Mini Cooper is good competition. Honda Fit... good competition. Scion iQ is good competition. As is the Toyota Corolla. Honda Civic. Chevy Spark. Ford Fiesta.

All those cars are competitors according to my showroom traffic. For some reason I never hear about the Mazda 2 though...
Yes, I'm sure they are, but they are all in a different price range despite what they share in common with the fortwo. The Mirage is the first car I've seen come onto the market in the same price range and with as good or better fuel efficiency. While a little bigger, the Mirage (about 12 feet long) also provides many of the same benefits of a mini city car.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
With such a wide range ($13K to $22K) on the ICE smart fortwo, my immediate reaction is, what price range are you referring to?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
The Mirage has a 1.2L 3 cylinder 74HP engine, that's the only thing close to the Fortwo....
And 14 inch wheels, really?
I don't really like it, seems outdated compared to the competition.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Everything I've heard about the Mirage suggests that it is a miserable penalty box that looks every bit as cheap as it is, and perhaps more so. Of course, there are those who would put a smart into that category, also. But ...

Economy-programmed CVT, overassisted power steering, limp suspension, noisy and uncomfortable, and if you ask me, pretty darn ugly - it looks like a nondescript blob. Spend the small amount extra and buy a Fiesta, Fit, 2, Spark, etc., all of which look and drive substantially better.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everything I've heard about the Mirage suggests that it is a miserable penalty box that looks every bit as cheap as it is, and perhaps more so. Of course, there are those who would put a smart into that category, also. But ...

Economy-programmed CVT, overassisted power steering, limp suspension, noisy and uncomfortable, and if you ask me, pretty darn ugly - it looks like a nondescript blob. Spend the small amount extra and buy a Fiesta, Fit, 2, Spark, etc., all of which look and drive substantially better.
But none of which are as fuel efficient.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Everything I've heard about the Mirage suggests that it is a miserable penalty box that looks every bit as cheap as it is, and perhaps more so. Of course, there are those who would put a smart into that category, also. But ....
Not only are there those who would put a smart into that category, but they are exactly the same people from whom you've heard those bad things about the Mirage, i. e. Consumer Reports, etc. OTOH there are foreign reviewers who actually like the Mirage. They write their reviews in the same places where people like the fortwo.

When I bought my smart in 2008, it was the most fuel efficient gas engine on the market. I certainly didn't buy it for its looks or it's handling. It was also pretty much the cheapest car on the market. The only car I can remember that cost less at the time was the Versa. Well, unless it appears that smart no longer has the most fuel efficient gas engine on the market. Mitsubishi does and Ford is right behind them. I' m hoping that the 2015 redesign raises the bar so that smart can remain the economy leader.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Is E.P.A. or actual milege higher??............

I think everyone knows that the smart gets better than the E.P.A.rated M.P.G. after the break-in period. I think the opposite may prove to be true of the 5dr.Mitsi?? Just have to keep watching!!................
If your primary concern is M.P.G.,check out Elio Motors.Is to be on sale
by this time or earlier in 2014!!...........................

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Or drive a tank like the Mercedes E250 Bluetec, which nets 45 US MPG on the EPA highway cycle (4.6 L/100 km in Transport Canada testing).

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
Base 5-speed

standard features
1.2-liter DOHC MIVEC 3-cylinder engine
5-speed manual transmission
14-inch steel wheels with full wheel covers
P165/65R14 low rolling resistance tires
ECO indicator light
Electric power steering
Auto-off halogen headlights
Rear spoiler
Automatic climate control air conditioning
140-watt CD/MP3 audio with 4 speakers and USB port
Gloss black center console trim
Remote keyless entry with panic feature
Tilt steering wheel
Multi-information meter display
Power windows with driver's side auto up/down
Power door locks and side view mirrors
Split folding rear seats
Cargo area cover
Tire pressure monitoring system
Anti-theft security alarm system and engine immobilizer
Seven-airbag safety system with driver's knee airbag²
Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)³ with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)
Active Stability Control (ASC)³ with Traction Control Logic (TCL)

New Vehicle Limited Warranty
5-year/60,000-mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty

Powertrain
10-year/100,000-mile, Powertrain New Vehicle Limited Warranty⁴

$13,790
including destination & handling.

Very attractive for a lot of folks. :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think everyone knows that the smart gets better than the E.P.A.rated M.P.G. after the break-in period. I think the opposite may prove to be true of the 5dr.Mitsi?? Just have to keep watching!!................
If your primary concern is M.P.G.,check out Elio Motors.Is to be on sale
by this time or earlier in 2014!!...........................
I was thinking the same thing, but a couple of test drives that have been done for car reviews have gotten better mileage than advertised.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts