Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to put 175/55 on the front and 195/55 on the rear and am having a hard time finding matching brands without having to pay an arm and a leg so i was wondering what the collective opinion is on mixing brands

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Why are you choosing tire sizes that will quite possibly negatively effect the TC and ESP of the car. If you want to run a 195/55 on the rear, you should run a 175/60 on the front.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Mixing tires will potentially harm you at the worst time - when you are having to make some sort of emergency maneuver. You may get some response that is unexpected, and unless you are a regular high performance driving enthusiast pushing who often pushes your car to the limit on a race track, you will not have the skill to quickly interpret and react to that. You may also be fine, but it's up to you whether or not you want to take that chance.

I have been driving on track for a few decades. There have been two times when I got a set of tires and found I had problems turning one way and no problems turning the other way. The worst time was when I would spin the car turning left, but not right. Many tracks have a three spin rule - you lose control three times and you are done for the day. That day, in the rain, I spun it three times and got sent home. In the pits, someone pointed out to me that three of the tires had a date of manufacture that was earlier that year. The fourth tire was three years old. I'm used to hanging out the rear end and the car still got away from me, three times, and not because they were different models. They were the exact same tire, just one tire was older than the others.

I got a replacement for that one tire, and the problem went away. My strong advice - get four of the same tire and make sure the dates of manufacture are relatively close to each other.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Also what Huronlad says. Your stock wheel stagger is a 1.1% differential front to rear. The sizes you want are 3.8% different front to rear. Most traction control/handling systems can accommodate a slight variance from that. On my Corvette, it comes with about a 2% stagger, but will accommodate anything from about 1% to about 3.5% tire size difference, so there's about a 1.5% difference from stock that is acceptable. Above that and very interesting things can happen, like one or another of your brakes locking up as you try to make a turn at highway speeds. Not fun as likely your brake lights won't activate and anyone following closely to you could end up in your passenger seat.

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
The last time I bought tyres for Tucker, I was such in a bad place that every penny counted. I'd slice that penny in half if it could get me another mile.

Anyway, I got the cheapest new tyres money could buy. There are two Sentury tyres up front, two Nankangs in back. All four 195/50/15.

They're not dangerous by any means. They changed the driving characteristics of the car (better in the dry than the Kumhos I had prior, but worse in the wet and hilarious in the snow) but if you can adapt to the changes then you'll be fine.

The biggest problem with mixing brands (at least to me) is varying quality. In my case, the Senturys up front wear in such a way that they have insane road noise. We're talking I have to max out the radio to overcome the noise.

In the back, the right Nankang has a small bulge from a pothole, the left has a slow air leak.

I've had these crappy things for 40,000 miles and all four are worn out. I'm definitely not going that cheap ever again.

My verdict? Don't mix brands unless you have no choice. In your case, if you can't find two front tyres in that size, opt for a different size like Huronlad said.

Or if you have the right wheel sizes, why not the same size all around?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
injuredagain-i don't understand. i currently have 155/55 on the front and 175/55 on the rear.....that makes 20 difference between the two sizes. which is what i am trying to do in the front 175/55 and 195/55 in the rear = 20 difference between the two tires
if any of that makes any sense

i would like to do 195/55 on all four but i can't find any wheels and even if i did i would be strapped to purchase the wheels and tires both

·
Registered
922 Posts
injuredagain-i don't understand. i currently have 155/55 on the front and 175/55 on the rear.....that makes 20 difference between the two sizes. which is what i am trying to do in the front 175/55 and 195/55 in the rear = 20 difference between the two tires

if any of that makes any sense

i would like to do 195/55 on all four but i can't find any wheels and even if i did i would be strapped to purchase the wheels and tires both

You actually have 155/**60**-15 and 175/55-15. The 60 means that the height of the sidewall is 60% of the width of the tread.

Use this site for comparing tire sizes:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=155-60r15-175-55r15

Those are the stock sizes. There is a 1.1% differential in size between the two. If you keep it between 0% and about 2-2.5%, you should be okay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally found a matching brand for front and rear....I think. What I want to know is can I run these together

Nexen N Priz AH5
front-175/65x15 84H SL*
rear- 195/55x15 87V XL*

* tire specs are identical except for width

·
Registered
922 Posts
I finally found a matching brand for front and rear....I think. What I want to know is can I run these together

Nexen N Priz AH5

front-175/65x15 84H SL*

rear- 195/55x15 87V XL*

* tire specs are identical except for width

Those front tires are 2.1% larger in diameter than the rears, whereas the original front tires were 1.1% smaller than the rears. The 3.2% difference in tire stagger from original will almost assuredly affect the electronic traction and handling control systems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Honestly I'd just go even on all sides. Something like 185/60/15 should be good with minimal rubbing. I think that's the size Chumly's running and I adore how that car looks with those tyres.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Went to the Nexen site. The 175 tire is not meant to fit anything less than 5" wide wheel. You're back at out of spec, beyond the diameter difference.

ABS/Traction control works my measuring relative revolutions of the wheels, to "see" which one is slipping, and apply appropriate measures. When you artificially cause this because some tires are different diameter/circumference, the system may perceive this as a slipping event and apply brakes/decrease throttle sensitivity/go into limp mode, until resolved, meaning you'll need to change at least a couple of tires to match within reason....

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry, my fault. i meant 165/65 on the front and 195/55 on the rear. these tires are identical except for width

jzchen-unless i am missing something then what you are saying sounds like it would apply to the current sizes on the car (155 & 175}

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Nexen's website doesn't list a 165/65 195/55 matching pair. It was very difficult finding any. Even just 165/65 is quite an uncommon size it seems. Tire Rack only lists one, and not in stock until mid September IIRC.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i want to put 175/55 on the front and 195/55 on the rear and am having a hard time finding matching brands without having to pay an arm and a leg so i was wondering what the collective opinion is on mixing brands
I'm running Continental ContiProContact 175/55R-15 front and 195/50R-15 rear on O.Z. X2 wheels (specifically designed for the smart). I've been very happy with this setup on my turbo and feel a staggered tire size is the safest way to go with these cars.

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
I've been very happy with this setup on my turbo and feel a staggered tire size is the safest way to go with these cars.
I like my "widowmaker" setup. 4 dirt cheap 195/50/15 tyres. The car oversteers at the mere sight of water and forget snow!

Thankfully I'm going to get A/Ts with my offroad conversion. I think at that point rolling over will be more of the problem. :D

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
sorry, my fault. i meant 165/65 on the front and 195/55 on the rear. these tires are identical except for width

jzchen-unless i am missing something then what you are saying sounds like it would apply to the current sizes on the car (155 & 175}

There is a little leeway. As one 450 owner found out, even with one of the size pairs that smart sells for the 451, when he replaced the rears only, it had a really strange effect!

Took a long time to dig it up, but basically he had 175/55R15 front and 195/50R15 rear. He replaced the rears but the fronts were pretty much bald. (The "175/50" was a typo):

450 smart car g&k yaw control issues

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...m/forums/showthread.php?t=131137&share_type=t

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh my gosh....I give up. I am so confused. I see posts were ya'll talk about sizes then I see the staggering effect and then there's the "out of spec" concern yet when I see the staggering effect mentioned the sizes are different and in some case more exaggerated than mine. So, I don't know what to do or where to go. I want as big of tires as possible on stock rims while matching the tires. and I'd like anything other than Continental cause they ride TOO hard

sign me up for the funny farm

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Let me throw a little fuel on the fire.... depending on which model , 450, 451. or 453, tires and rims are different (as is the offset)

Which is why I got a set of rear rims and mounted all 4 the same size tires. problem solved!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts