Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
I thought the Euro sauce was only in 0W-30. I was way more than 0W-20 full syn. Couldn't find 0W-30 or 20 so I put.in 5W-30 full syn. The 0W-20 I had came out like water.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I've been aware of M1 Euro 0W-40 since about 2009. I did notice MB getting more flexible with lower weights more recently. Boy am I glad you haven't reported any issues with 0W-20. That's Prius thin. (When fresh it's very difficult to see the level on a dipstick it's so thin).

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Along this train of thought. I have only used Mobil 1 M-108 oil filters since my car was new. I have noticed in the last couple of years all Mobil 1 filters marked M-108 are now branded Extended Use. I still change my oil with Mobil 1 0W-40 once a year even though the mileage is only a couple of hundred miles since last change.
Has anyone else noticed the markings change on the oil filters?
I just had to dig up why I switched to the Fram Ultra, and the info is available if you look at the fine print:

From the Fram site the rating of tested Ultra filters: 99+% efficiency for particles greater than 20 microns.

From (Advance Auto, mobiloil.com doesn't have much info on the M1-108A now):. 99+% efficiency for particles 30 microns up. (Unclear if it's 30 microns and up or above 30 microns only). I'm no engine expert so I have no idea how particles in the 20 to 30 micron range do damage to an engine but.

Seemed mathematically significant so I switched. Also I am still stuck with my stash of the old M1 (non-A) filters so hence forward I just buy 1 extra filter maximum to keep on hand.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not using Fram filters, since I do not trust quality of their filters. Was cutting up all my old oil filters, to recycle metal, got to see quality of filter material. Fram always scored lowest in quality... better off with Mobil oil filters. Do not think Frame improved their oil filters recently. Just because they are popular at car parts places, does not mean they are quality products. Their air filters seem ok... + easy to inspect.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The "sock" type filter for the 453 is a paper media. I saw no difference in the Wix from O'Reilly's or the element from Advanced Auto parts. Whence I had a 451 I religiously used Wiz. I saw a Fram and Wiz cut open side by side and saw the superior quality of Wix.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Companies make changes or they don't survive. Nobody would continue to buy their products. I highly doubt the Fram filters you are unhappy with are from the Ultra lineup. There are YouTube videos of people cutting them up. They are a quality product if you get passed judging them from their lower quality models. They are also reasonably cheap when purchased at Walmart where I think they are sold almost exclusively. Next time you're there and buying a filter just lift up the equivalent Fram Ultra. You might be surprised...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Funny that I run a 9 dollar Caterpillar filter on my Harley Davidson Road King. It's 7 microns better than stock and has a by-pass valve set at 7 to 11 like the stock one.. ...and it's gawd awful Caterpillar yellow.
20160409_162905.jpg

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Companies make changes or they don't survive. Nobody would continue to buy their products. I highly doubt the Fram filters you are unhappy with are from the Ultra lineup. There are YouTube videos of people cutting them up. They are a quality product if you get passed judging them from their lower quality models. They are also reasonably cheap when purchased at Walmart where I think they are sold almost exclusively. Next time you're there and buying a filter just lift up the equivalent Fram Ultra. You might be surprised...

While I agree Fram ultra filters are better than their cheap filters.
A lot of Fram's sucess can be tied to their Advertising and availability.
Fram was available in stores like Kmart and Zayres long before other brands.
If you wanted something other than a Fram you had to go to the old independent auto parts store, thus Fram built up brand loyalty.
Some of that still carries over today.
That's that's what's nice about living in the United States we have a choices
If all you can afford a $4 filter we have $4 filters, that get the job done. If you can afford better and want to go with an $18 filter there have $18 filters. (Example)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Funny that I run a 9 dollar Caterpillar filter on my Harley Davidson Road King. It's 7 microns better than stock and has a by-pass valve set at 7 to 11 like the stock one.. ...and it's gawd awful Caterpillar yellow. View attachment 66230
:):):)

Aw, just tell everyone you are a temporary "Steeler's" fan like me or that you are supporting a fan who loves the "Steelers" such as me. Don't be embarrassed. They support breast cancer every year and I have had a double mastectomy so you're helping with people like me. Problem solved!

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,044 Posts
Gearbox oil needs to be GL-4 only rated...
Valvoline SynPower 75W90 is GL-5, and may be bad to the brass syncros...

I used Movil 1 Delvac 50 in mine...

21 - 33 of 33 Posts