Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any modifications for the smart fortwo US model. I have seen the Brabus kit but am looking for other unique upgrades for my car when I get it.

I will be very interested in installing new seats and probably new big brakes if that is possible.

I doubt I will care to lower the car but I would like to upgrade the suspension if possible.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Try it maybe you'll like it!

Why not try the car without making any changes to it first? The manufacturer has gone to alot of trouble to optimize the Smart design already so why change a good thing. Personalizing the car is another thing that is more likely done by the younger generation and that's acceptable. If it ain't broken, don't fix it!:)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Why not try the car without making any changes to it first? The manufacturer has gone to alot of trouble to optimize the Smart design already so why change a good thing. Personalizing the car is another thing that is more likely done by the younger generation and that's acceptable. If it ain't broken, don't fix it!:)
Amen. Isn't the beauty of this car the fact there isn't any more than you need?

·
Registered
11 Posts
big brakes??

i don't think you are going to get it going fast enough to overdrive the brakes....
even at an auto-X or track event.
if you have seen the cars, (i think) it's going to be hard to make an alternate wheel and tire combo look better than stock. they really have the "big & little " thing going with the front wheel and tire package being much narrower than the rear.
not saying negative (i do have one of the first deposits down) but just saying i've seen a lot of the cars in europe and this "feature" stands out to me.
cheers, haas

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
After talkign to a few builders of aftermarket parts... it sounds like many dealers think this car will stay very eco-friendly and not atract the aftermarket crowd as much....

BUT I think differently and I plan on helping the smart fortwo make it all the way in to the aftermarket tunning industry!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Best of both worlds...

Hi fellow Smart Car enthusiast...;)

Please bare with me, as this is my maiden voyage...

I like most of you, have been bitten by the "Smart Bug"
and I haven't been the same since...

I have this vision of me towing a Diesel Smart Car behind my motorhome,
a Silver and Electric Blue with Tan interior Smart, with the early body style...

I love the early body style with three tail lights and "Spider Eyes" headlights...
I don't think I will buy a new Smart Car, unless an aftermarket "Early Style Body kit"
is offered, for a Diesel Smart...

I guess as a US citizen my options are few... I would love to buy the Canadian version
early body style diesel that gets 70 MPG...But for a reason that escapes me, our bureaucrats
don't want us to have that option...

If anyone can help me figure this out, I would appreciate it...Has anyone been successful with
importing a Diesel Smart from Canada?

Shane...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Smart in Canada

Shane:

I was bit by the Smart bug and I am a US citizen and I have a vacation home in Canada which makes me a Canadian resident. I purchased a 2006 Smart Passion convertible in St. John, NB with all the Brabus accessories. It is all silver with the bungee red interior. Great looking car.

My plan was to not only drive the car in Canada but to bring it to the US to enjoy so I had a custom trailer made for it to tow behind my Honda Pilot.I live 800 miles away in New York from PEI and I did not want to put the mileage on the Smart.

My first attempt to bring car/trailer across the border was a fiasco. I called US customs in advance and stated that I wanted to bring a Canadian registered car in my name down for the winter to the States and that the car CANNOT be sold in the US. I was told no problem so I trailered the car 250 miles to the crossing in Calais,Me last February. The crossing agent looked at the trailered Smart and stated the car was illegal in the US!

I asked to speak to a supervisor and stated that I had called customs and received assurances that the car could cross and I stated that the Smart cars are driven back and forth over the border all the time. My difference is I was trailering the car and being US with a Canada residence. He said he remembered a memo 2 years earlier that this car was illegal and I was forced to drive back to PEI. My wife was furious.

What I ended up doing in March is that my future daughter-in-law is Canadian and was in Toronto at the time finishing the wedding plans before flying back to NY. I had her fly into Moncton, NB, I picked her up in my Pilot trailering the Smart and went to the border crossing in northern Me where I took the car off the trailer, let her drive the Smart across. No problem. I followed her with my Pilot/ emptytrailer. Again no problem. Re-trailered the Smart and kept the car in NY for 6 months.

Going back was no problem because Smart Car/trailer had Canadian plates and I carried valid registrations for both.

Pain in the neck but worth it. I am going to try and trailer car across again now that the Smart Car is better known and is a year old.

The diesel Smart is the way to go and if you have the ability to register a car in Canada and drive it here do it!

Michael

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shane:

I was bit by the Smart bug and I am a US citizen and I have a vacation home in Canada which makes me a Canadian resident. I purchased a 2006 Smart Passion convertible in St. John, NB with all the Brabus accessories. It is all silver with the bungee red interior. Great looking car.

My plan was to not only drive the car in Canada but to bring it to the US to enjoy so I had a custom trailer made for it to tow behind my Honda Pilot.I live 800 miles away in New York from PEI and I did not want to put the mileage on the Smart.

My first attempt to bring car/trailer across the border was a fiasco. I called US customs in advance and stated that I wanted to bring a Canadian registered car in my name down for the winter to the States and that the car CANNOT be sold in the US. I was told no problem so I trailered the car 250 miles to the crossing in Calais,Me last February. The crossing agent looked at the trailered Smart and stated the car was illegal in the US!

I asked to speak to a supervisor and stated that I had called customs and received assurances that the car could cross and I stated that the Smart cars are driven back and forth over the border all the time. My difference is I was trailering the car and being US with a Canada residence. He said he remembered a memo 2 years earlier that this car was illegal and I was forced to drive back to PEI. My wife was furious.

What I ended up doing in March is that my future daughter-in-law is Canadian and was in Toronto at the time finishing the wedding plans before flying back to NY. I had her fly into Moncton, NB, I picked her up in my Pilot trailering the Smart and went to the border crossing in northern Me where I took the car off the trailer, let her drive the Smart across. No problem. I followed her with my Pilot/ emptytrailer. Again no problem. Re-trailered the Smart and kept the car in NY for 6 months.

Going back was no problem because Smart Car/trailer had Canadian plates and I carried valid registrations for both.

Pain in the neck but worth it. I am going to try and trailer car across again now that the Smart Car is better known and is a year old.

The diesel Smart is the way to go and if you have the ability to register a car in Canada and drive it here do it!

Michael
Michael,

Thanks for sharing the knowledge in this area as I would love to have the diesel model but would have no idea how to go about getting it legalized in the US.

Unfortunately I do not know anyone with property in Canada but I do have many friends that have brought Skylines down and went through the hoops to register those vehicles from Canada...

I guess this might be the first path to look at for getting a cdi Diesel model to the states!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Shane:

Michael
Michael, great post!
You proved that no matter what obstacles are put in a guys way, a good Man will always find a way to get what he wants! It gives us diesel guys hope...

My hope is that sometime in the near future these fuel efficient diesels in Canada will be allowed to be licenced in the states...

Shane...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know of any modifications for the smart fortwo US model. I have seen the Brabus kit but am looking for other unique upgrades for my car when I get it.

I will be very interested in installing new seats and probably new big brakes if that is possible.

I doubt I will care to lower the car but I would like to upgrade the suspension if possible.
You can view some important mods here : (www).smart-club.org/index.php?page=art41_2007 - SCF - article about US mods (sorry in french but you can look at the pictures) ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
The new 2008 smart

Smart car.
The avatar that you had is one of 2smarts that I prepared for DC in the UK for the world rally.

I have already made brake up grades for this model along with a sports exhaust,bigger turbos and fully adjustable coil over suspension kits.
Ian

·
Registered
7 Posts
To OP: MY first post on here is in your defense. I curently own a slightly modded 350Z and am looking into selling it, so that I can get an 08 Smart (passion probably). I am with you on the "personalizing" or modding idea. the smart looks nice from the factory, but that doesn't mean that the engineers had any aesthetically pleasing body design in mind. I have seen some REALLY nice body, Air, turbo, rims, interior mods for this car, and MAN are they hot looking. I am personally looking into this vehicle for ecological reasons, but I still want to be able to "pimp" my smart. : )

I see the validity in what some have said...alot of design and R&D went into this vehicle...well put also...I just like to have a personalized ride.. : )
Btw...I'm 35 yrs old....modding cars isn't just for kids.
I am hoping to make this ride a sleek and efficient machine.
Here are some nice links to aftermarket stuff ...europe has pretty much ALL mods at this point, but Japan has a nice body kit. See below.

(BTW...17s lok really hot on this car...look at the Work...Goocar)
http://www.smartsrus.com/images/2004_17inch/Goocar-500.jpg

http://www.m-99.co.uk/Car_Bodykits/Smart_Car/smart_car.html

http://www.smarttune.co.uk/index.php

http://www.smartsrus.com/srus/1_Home.html

http://www.flyingtiger.ca/04products/smart.html

http://www.smart-parts-direct.com/acatalog/

RIMS http://www.smartsrus.com/srus/109_WheelsForTwo.html

Just some of the ones that I have found today alone.

I do my homework before buying...and modding LOL.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Here is the list of aftermarket parts I have for my 451 in Canada:

6 spoke rims (black)
12 spoke rims (black)
+1 inch wider front/rear tires
arm rest
carbon fiber dash kit
stubby/short antenna
custom OEM gps system
brabus pedals
3 rubber trays
cargo mess/holder
sunglasses holder
brabus front skirt
brabus side skirt
g-tech rr computer system
air intake system
color gas cover to match color of the car
brabus headlights
upgraded Infinity speaker system

Factory Options:
leather seats
alarm system
fog lights

Basically all the factory options minus the rev/clock pods, as I am working at getting a custom fabricated pod mount for the rev pod, don't need the clock the car already has one on the gauge ;)

Other options still in the works:
brabus sub box for passenger well
lowering kit
rear brabus skirt
brabus exhaust system
aura bass shakers in seats
rev pod molded into the speedo

Things far off in the distance:
clear taillights (custom fab guys having trouble with this one)
subwoofer/amp system in the rear gate (only if brabus kit doesn't perform)

I'll be posting photos, how to install, where to buy and reviews of the above all within the next month or so also the project car website should be going live shortly. We're just waiting on the damn graphic designers to complete the layout we are looking for :(

As for other parts, I've bought almost everything I could find that keeps the car looking professional, there are some other goofy things and a lot of rims available. On the site I'll give credit back to all the shops and fabricators I've used so should be a good list.

Some of the above is coming from one off custom fabricators but I am sure a dealer in the US or Canada will pickup and stock a lot of the items once the demand is there.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I am the owner of Billet and Acrylic Fantasies, an automotive aftermarket accessory mfr. We're planning to do a lot with the Smart. I just got my confirmation yesterday. I'm hoping for an early January delivery. As soon as I get it, we will begin designing billet parts for it. I have already spoken to the owners of this site, and plan to become a supporting vendor. There are quite a few items already available from the UK and Germany. However, most seem to be grossly overpriced. We will have some of the same parts, but made in USA and priced realisticly. Some things that I have plans for will be new to the market, and unavailable anywhere else. Keep checking back here.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I just got my confirmation yesterday. I'm hoping for an early January delivery. As soon as I get it, we will begin designing billet parts for it.
Confirmation yesterday, delivery in January? Hope your design work is much better than your calendar reading. You're looking to get a car in late 2008 unless you are lucky enough to grab a cancellation. Best to butter up your nearest smart dealer.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Dickey, you're just like me!

Confirmation yesterday, delivery in January? Hope your design work is much better than your calendar reading. You're looking to get a car in late 2008 unless you are lucky enough to grab a cancellation. Best to butter up your nearest smart dealer.
I thought the same thing...I'm at 1174 and am hoping to deliver in January some time...:)
Nothing like hitting the old nail right on the head!!! LOLOL :rolleyes:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just got my confirmation yesterday. I'm hoping for an early January delivery..
A January delivery is obviously impossible, but I think "late 2008" is overly pessimistic. With what information we have it looks like Smartbillet has a position at around 11,000 in the queue. With dropouts, he moves up to the 9,000's. Depending on the number of smarts produced for the US, he would get his car in mid-year (18,000) or as early as May (24,000).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts