Smart Car of America Forum banner

Do you plan any power modifications on your 71 HP Smart Car?

• Leave alone "as is" from factory (sheesh it's a Smart car not a dragster!)

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • Lower compression ratio to use 87-RON (even if slight power loss)

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Intake/Exhaust bolt on mods (looking for modest HP/Torque and better MPG)

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • Turbo, NOS, Remap, (looking for serious HP/Torque and accept less MPG)

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • I will consider anything including full race motorcycle motor like the Smartzuki!

Votes: 13 17.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Smartmadness.com
1,216 Posts
I plan to Modify the exterior with possibly the Brambus kit hower as far as the engine I plan on doing only the bolt ons that will not effect my MPG in a negative way. If it will increase my MPG then Im up for it.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Of course the tri-turbos and the nitrous injection as well as the snorkel fed rear mounted inter-cooler. That should be good for about 185 rear wheel continuous horsepower and a surge to about 300. At 9.5 lbs/hp, that should be good for a 1/4 mile in the 12s. Less, if you trigger the nitro. Let's see how well this new fangled automated manual tranny holds up to that.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Of course the tri-turbos and the nitrous injection as well as the snorkel fed rear mounted inter-cooler. That should be good for about 185 rear wheel continuous horsepower and a surge to about 300. At 9.5 lbs/hp, that should be good for a 1/4 mile in the 12s. Less, if you trigger the nitro. Let's see how well this new fangled automated manual tranny holds up to that.:rolleyes:
The trans might live but the clutch will be toast.;)

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Engine may be the weak point

The trans might live but the clutch will be toast.;)
I lay odds that before any of those things gives way, the bottom end of the engine comes apart. That's an awful lot of HP to push thru an engine originally designed for 71 HP.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Like I told the MINI guys when I was driving one...it's a great car, plenty of power, handles well, and all of that, but if you think you want a drag car you bought the wrong car, (they are giant killers on the track).

The Smart is for zipping around, having fun, sipping small amounts of gas and laughing at SUV owners. Minimal performance mod.'s could be justifiable, and tricking up the looks are fine, but to spend hundreds or thousands to take a 13 second 0-60mph car and try to make it a supercar is just a waste of time. Spend $5K more, get a Mini Cooper S and instantly cut your 0-60 in half.

Personally, a better breathing intake and some trick wheels and I'll be happy - and I may not even do that.

Just my opinion.

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
FThe name of the game is EFFICIENCY

Do you plan any significant engine modifications?
The law of increasing efficiency is in effect;

Lower input = same output
Same input = higher output

This means you can have either at any given time just not both at the same time.

I have begun this process on my 540. My normal driving has resulted in a substantial increase in mpg, yet when I put my foot in it there is a definite increase in performance..

Appearance addons..... that's another story.

Do something 'Smart' every day

Donald LaFavor

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
The new secret model

What's a "540"?
Let's see.......I would like to say it's a new undercover model but..............

Actually my fingers got tripped up, of course it's a '450'.

If I could have thought up a better story, I would have used it.

May I stay, or must I log off ?

Cheers
Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Bolt on mods can add hp and increase mileage without radical/risky changes such as:
Headers
Cold air intake
Hi flow catalytic converter
Lo restirictive exhaust (can sound terrible - be careful)
Larger bore throttle body
hotter sparkplug wire and plugs

IMHO, best to let the real mechanics do the tests on their cars. I'm sure when our 2008s arrive plenty of after market enthusiasts will be testing this gear and there will be forums with how-to and results. I know you can expect an increase anywhere from 5-20 hp. Depending on your lead foot you can also expect increased mpg. It's all about aspiration....just letting your little Mitsubishi breath better.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mods and BHP

So get an 84bhp model.
Run it in hard.

Fit an ITG filter and a performance exhaust.
Then dyno it and.........110bhp.
More than the brabus for

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Big

Having a hard time translating what you are saying

So get an 84bhp model. I assume you know the first year we get the 1.0L 71 SAE HP normally aspirated Mitsubishi motor

Run it in hard. OK, I Understand that, and as a motor builder for drag and other racing motors I tend to agree

Fit an ITG filter and a performance exhaust. Intake and exhuast mods must be ballenced in my opinion....

Any way we can know the flow rates of the ITG? Any other intake mods needed like Larger throttle body, cold air kit, delipping??

What in your opinion are the "preformance exhausts".... I have added dozens of so call "perfromance exhausts" that lost low or mid band torque....Is there one or more sets that really work? I know my way around a chassis dyno

Then dyno it and.........110bhp. Surely you are not saying that with a hard run in, better flow air filter and a bolt on exhaust we can see 30+% HP increase!

More than the brabus for

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I think the real fun of modding a smart will be in trying to maximize fuel efficiency rather than horsepower. Those 9 spoke wheels for example gotta go. Super light flat dish wheels need to go in their place to minimize spinning weight and wind resistance. Flowed head to match a larger capacity airbox and free flow exhaust will further enhance fuel economy (and power). Lower the vehicle, add an airdam that almost scrapes the road surface and tape up all the seams on the vehicle that aren't needed (your passenger can get in from the driver's side because of those goofy paddle shifters). Use full synthetic oil in the engine and tranny (lowest viscosity recommended by the manuf.) ........................................

I could go on and on, but I'll take my medications now.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Big

Having a hard time translating what you are saying

So get an 84bhp model. I assume you know the first year we get the 1.0L 71 SAE HP normally aspirated Mitsubishi motor
I think Big is talking about doing this to an older 450 rather than the 2008 451.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I could go on and on, but I'll take my medications now.
Heeheeheehee!

Honestly, I'm not sure if/what mods I'd want to do on my car. Cruise would be nice (because even in the cities I occasionally take trips to Faribault and Iowa). However, I like the push-button start I saw on smartieparts.com. ;)

·
Registered
347 Posts
I think I'll jsut keep my engine stock, at least until the warranty runs out! By that time all the motorheads in this country will have figured out what works best on the smart/Mitsu motor without breaking anything.

Other mods? Cruise would be nice. A scangauge too. And maybe some nicer wheels and tires...

Dang! Now I'm dreaming too much! :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts