Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a long-standing advisement in SCCA racing: "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

And Briggs Cunningham once said something like: "You can make some money at racing - but only if you start out with a fortune."

·
Agent 86
99 Posts
I thought the quote was:

"you can make a small fortune in racing, just start with a big
one."

;)

And I've certainly found that one to be true.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
So True

We have a long-standing advisement in SCCA racing: "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

And Briggs Cunningham once said something like: "You can make some money at racing - but only if you start out with a fortune."
Yes, indeed, Fish....how true that is. I learned that when I was a 25 year old buck and had my first new car...a 69 Mustang. Wanted to get this and that to make it faster. Got this and that and got some smiles but those :D turned to :( when I was stopped on Rt 98 between Ft. Walton Beach and Destin, Fl doing 120 in a race with a 396 Chevelle....:eek: Those were the days when we did fast learning...yessir. After that, all the speed and poor gas mileage stuff came off, the two barrel put back on and the book of experience gotten out to write a few more paragraphs.....:eek:

Like the words to the popular 69 song "THose were the days".

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, you are probably correct; I knew it was something like that. Though I have been in B.C.'s presence a couple of times, he didn't say it to me; I had to get it umpteenth-hand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts