Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some input, I have had my smart about three months and put on nearly 4000 miles. I love the car and the attention doesn't bother me too much (I have some unimogs and they attract gawkers like crazy) the stupid questions are even ok, but the "do you feel safe, how do you fit etc are a bit much. My favorite so far is the "Is that electric?" as i am filling up the car at the gas station.

The previous owner had only put on about 11,500 miles on the car since new but had done some interesting mods - mostly asthetic (17 ARS rims on rear, 15's on front, mercedes badging even down to MB valve stem caps and floor mats :) - her theory was that if she was going to pay Mercedes prices for labor she was going to have a Mercedes - funny how some people take offense to the fact that it is badged that way and tell me over and over it is not a mercedes - i tell them right it isn't but Daimler makes it as well - funny how people aren't aware that Mercedes is owned by Daimler Benz and is just another brand name like Freightliner, Detroit Diesel, Unimog, Smart and Setra. Anyways I digress - So far I have swapped out the mediocre stock radio for a JVC unit, replaced the stock airbox with a Boesch Built CAI and a Boesch exhaust system. So far I am thrilled with the performance and according to my Torque pro I am running 89-93 hp - which i take as more like 78-81 ? My only complaint is noise. The car accelerates much better than previously and so far over 10 fill ups I average 39-42 mpg despite liking to keep my foot pegged to the floor and always using the manual shift with a higher rpm range when running.

while I love the Boesch built exhaust what can I do to quiet it a bit? (my wife is not a fan and I keep getting eyeballed by tuners in their honda civics)

I noticed the power curve is definitely high on the RPM scale - I notice a boost in power around 4500-4900 rpm ( try to only rev to about 5500 and have not hit the rev limiter) like I said I never use the auto feature and prefer paddles or using the shift on the stick - would a Go Pro Pedal help performance ? I am considering sending the ECU for reprogramming as well but am not sure how much the $600 would get me performance-wise.

any real-world experiences would be appreciated. I did find quite a bit about various flash-reprogram options in the forums but no firm conclusions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is 2-3 hp increase it has made a pretty dramatic improvement in performance. Either way worth what I paid The noise is just a bit much but may be the trade off

·
Registered
195 Posts
Beyond a set of ear plugs for the wife there's not really much you can do. A free flowing exhaust is always gonna be louder then an OEM type exhaust. Some come with plugs to control it a little but there isn't one for that or any of the other systems for the smart.

·
17,344 Posts
If it is 2-3 hp increase it has made a pretty dramatic improvement in performance. Either way worth what I paid The noise is just a bit much but may be the trade off
Yeah, Matt's exhaust is one of the loudest aftermarket exhausts on the market (if not the loudest). It's a great quality exhaust but it's definitely not holding anything back.

I have both a CAI and one of Matt's exhausts. I wouldn't say they give the car a dramatic improvement - as a brand new smart feels almost as fast as mine - but it's noticeable. :)

Few members here have reprogrammed their ECUs. Most of them seem to offer a relatively mild upgrade for the price. http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f85/smart-car-ecu-upgrade-26328/

I'd do it just to get rid of that speed limiter. >:D But, I don't need any more tickets. 0:)

Fun fact:
The fortwo is not just a Daimler product, smart is a subsidiary of Mercedes-Benz and the vehicles are designed and engineered by Mercedes (and Renault, for the new models).

Look closely and you'll find MB logo stampings on some parts in the engine bay! :D

So your MB badges aren't incredibly wrong, really. :shrug:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I got a CAI and GoPedal installed on my 2013 fortwo a few weeks ago, as well as a set of KW coil overs and 16" wheels. The performance improvement has been remarkable. The new suspension has transformed the handling beyond recognition, and the combination of the CAI, BMC filter and GoPedal has not only made the car feel much more responsive, but it's largely eliminated the effects of the sloppy gearbox.

Now, I had the CAI and GoPedal installed at the same time, so I don't know which one specifically is contributing the most to the improvement. A good supplier should let you try the pedal out and return it if it doesn't work for you, however. One tip: forget all the intermediate settings: just set it to max (Sport Plus or Race, depending on the version you get) and you'll be happy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
call me stupid, but does the Go-Pedal just help the car shift faster when in Auto mode? I have grown so accustomed to the paddle shifter and + - on the know that I never use the D and when I have I feel like i am going to break something with the lag in shifts.

·
Registered
91 Posts
call me stupid, but does the Go-Pedal just help the car shift faster when in Auto mode? I have grown so accustomed to the paddle shifter and + - on the know that I never use the D and when I have I feel like i am going to break something with the lag in shifts.
It definitely helps the most in auto mode, but it also makes the car feel peppier in manual. The effect is subtle, but shifts feel more "hooked up" and direct. After two months of using the Go Pedal, I'm finally able to let go of the nagging worry that the transmission will decide to submit my request for a gear change to a committee, before making a final decision on whether to shift or not.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
There are numerous post about "sprint boosters" and "go pedals'. They do two things mostly...1. they alter the response curve of the throttle (making you think you have more power ) and 2. they deprive your wallet of $$.:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
There are numerous post about "sprint boosters" and "go pedals'. They do two things mostly...1. they alter the response curve of the throttle (making you think you have more power ) and 2. they deprive your wallet of $$.:)
I had the Sprint Booster and it didn't do much of anything. I now have the Go Pedal and it really helps with the more egregious gearbox antics in auto mode. It's worth it to me for that alone. They really should call it the "Go Without Looking Like a Demented Kangaroo" pedal.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
On my '09 I added the smart madness cold air intake (before I knew about Matt's and they are very similar) along with the silicone tube to the side air inlet. The improvement in the sound was so wonderful (I like a good growl from my exhaust) that I sold the aftermarket exhaust before I installed it. So if the loud exhaust is too much take it off and put the OEM back on and sell Matt's. If that leaves a hole in the rear valence you can get a rear valence for the 2013 for about $130. It will fit any year 451. Your smart will sound good, your wife will like your smart again, and you will have a nice looking rear valence...oh...and peace (wife) with privacy (from the Honda tuners.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased the same CAI set up, after install I encountered a rough idle, did you have to do anything else after the install? can't figure this out.

got a 09 Brabus wit 27k

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
Had no problem except wiping the smirk off my face after driving it. My butt dyno said it went faster but some have said a real dyno won't confirm that. Possibly a hose knocked off during your install....???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts