Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just received the new hubcaps for my stock Pure wheels! Next step is to have the wheels powder coated yellow...

I have no experience with this type of hubcap. It is attached securely in the channel but has some play. Does not seem to make noise unless you bang on them. Any ideas about making them snug would be apprecieated.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Those are sweet! Where did you get steel wheels for the Smart? I want to get a set and put snows on them... and those covers are awesome!

oh... looking at the photo a bit more... looks like steel caps on the stock aluminum wheels... still looks sweet! :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
One time I had loose hubcaps and for a cheap easy fix I placed some balled up newspaper under the hubcaps to put some pressure outward and that fixed the problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One time I had loose hubcaps and for a cheap easy fix I placed some balled up newspaper under the hubcaps to put some pressure outward and that fixed the problem.
Great idea! I bet the right size toy ball would also do the trick. I will try that!

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
The Pure stock wheels are steel. They look better bare than with the original hupcaps, IMO.

These however are brilliant!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Pure stock wheels are steel. They look better bare than with the original hupcaps, IMO.

These however are brilliant!

Thanks

I am now going to powder coat the steels to match the car. It will show a nice 1" yellow ring between the tires and the chrome.

This is a cheap mod for steel wheels at $70 for a set of 4

Full Moon Style Wheel Covers

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
An added bonus with the moons on steels is that they stay clean from brake dust. It accumulates on the back side of the hub cap so they need to be remeved and cleaned periodically but wash to wash the front rims are as clean as the rear. Also making them tight was as easy as bending out the 40 or so "prongs" a 1/4" all the way around with a pair of pliars!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Those moons take me back, they do fit the look and feel of the smart!

I had a 34' Ford with chromed reversed rims, I'm planing to get my future smarts steel rims chromed...
I think chrome rims would look great with the black and blue exterior...Has anyone tried chromed steel rims on their smartie yet? If so please post some pictures, I would enjoy that! :)

Shane...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
... Any ideas about making them snug would be appreciated.
Those moonies look sweet!

To keep 'em on securely: Using a pair of pliers, carefully bend every second grip tooth outward just a wee bit. When you put them back on, use a rubber mallet to tap them in place. They may still "creep" a bit but shouldn't ever just come off by themselves.

Here's my 450 CDi with powder-coated steelies and silver "beauty rings".
(Roadster steelies on front to accommodate 175 profile rubber all around)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts