Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
17,345 Posts
Usually I'd complain about renderings, but considering that the prototypes appear to have the exact same headlights and taillights as the fourjoy (with less LEDs) as well as the same grille and shape...I'd reckon this is probably spot on!

·
Registered
912 Posts
No way is the front door cut-line correct (it will have to be more straight up and down for the hinges to work correctly), and the fuel filler door is not shown, but it wouldn't surprise me if this gives the general idea.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If the forfour looks something like that and "IF" it is ever available here, I would opt for it over the fortwo.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front door, on the illustration looks strange. Way to long. Wonder how long the 4 door is going to be?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
"Wonder how long the 4 door is going to be?"

3.5 m or 136.8" according to reports (compared to 139.6" fiat 500, 151.1" mini)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Something common to the initial rendering, and to the one posted above, is the steeply angled and curved front door cut-line. (This is the boundary between the door panel, and the front fender - or part of the Tridion cell, as the sketches suggest.)

While not *completely* dismissing the possibility that it is somehow going to look more or less like that (and yes, I know the forjoy was like that although it had no doors), think about the following.

How are the door hinges going to work? Where are you going to put them? Where is the part of the door *in front* of wherever the hinge is, going to go when you open the door?

This car's platform-mate, the Twingo, has a conventional near-vertical cut-line between the front edge of the door and the fender.

The spy shots with camouflage suggest that the forfour probably shares much, if not all, of the Twingo's greenhouse (window glass) and the overall shape of the car is virtually the same as the Twingo. You can bet your bottom dollar that the door hinges are going to be pretty similar (i.e. nothing special) between the two - and pretty likely to be the same part (i.e. won't work with an unorthodox door shape).

·
17,345 Posts
I think you're right. :D

It would be highly impractical for the doors to be that large. They would require an entire parking space just to open.

Looks like the final products will have a more conventional looking door (look at the door lines).

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
The spy shots with camouflage suggest that the forfour probably shares much, if not all, of the Twingo's greenhouse (window glass) and the overall shape of the car is virtually the same as the Twingo.
When I first saw the Forfour I thought it looked like the Twingo too, however, check this comparison out:

The Forfour seems taller and skinnier....

·
Registered
912 Posts
I think the proportion differences are an optical illusion influenced by the camouflage. The good thing about the straight-on views is that you can scale them to known dimensions. It's known that these two vehicles are the same underneath. Compare the overall height to the wheelbase ... it's about the same fraction on both.

Now that they are side by side, I do spot some differences. The rear door glass is not the same; the Twingo's extends back a little further and then drops straight down (where the production car has a black plastic trim piece to complete the shape). The twingo's back door handle is at the back of the window; the forfour has it in the conventional location on the door. And the forfour definitely has a more vertical tail. They are close cousins, but not the same!

I hope the end result is as good as the Twingo - which I think is a great looking small car.

On the subject of wheelbase ... these cars have an exceptionally long wheelbase for their length. Scaling from the side view, the wheelbase is almost three-quarters of the overall length. We know the overall length (135"), that would suggest a wheelbase around 100" - which is approaching that of a compact car.

·
17,345 Posts
IIRC - the forfour platform mate is supposed to be just a tad shorter than its Twingo sibling. Same wheelbase but some length lose in bumpers and such.

Look at how thick that driver's door is!!! I bet these cars will be nice and quiet. :)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
A Mod at forosmart posted this:

Bueno, ya tenemos fecha y hora de presentación.

Será mañana martes a las 11:45, en el stand 6441 del salon de Ginebra..

No falta nada!!!
It reads: Well, we have date and time of the presentation:
It'll be tomorrow tuesday at 11:45, stand 6441 at the Geneva show..
It's around the corner!!!

I'm not sure what his sources are and what car is he talking about, however I did a little research and yes, that car show starts tomorrow and that stand belongs to smart....so who knows maybe we'll see something tomorrow....

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
A Mod at forosmart posted this:

It reads: Well, we have date and time of the presentation:
It'll be tomorrow tuesday at 11:45, stand 6441 at the Geneva show..
It's around the corner!!!

I'm not sure what his sources are and what car is he talking about, however I did a little research and yes, that car show starts tomorrow and that stand belongs to smart....so who knows maybe we'll see something tomorrow....
Another excellent find! I'm hoping to hear something about Smart tomorrow now!

Pictures would be fantastic, but I'm hoping to hear them announce the ForTwo and ForFour as world cars, including the U.S.

:D

1 - 20 of 53 Posts