Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, me again....I went there today just to ask a question about changing the oil at 30,000 miles since they had done it before I purchased said car at almost 20,000 miles. And before the guy could give me an answer the other ass next to him, told me I could not bring it to them and that any dealership could do the job. I told him that was a lie because my extended warranty states that I must get authorization from them due to the fact they sold me the GOLD plan. And that the only dealership who would even work on it was the one they kept sending it to 50 plus miles away. And he said it was basically a pain coming to them just for them to have to send it to Mercedes.

I see now that they are passing the buck to Mercedes even though Mercedes did not sell me the car nor the extended warranty....and if I have anyone else work on it it will void the warranty.
Guess they are going to continue to give me crap for another year or so......I think I need an attorney....but am broke.
What a pain!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Go the Service Manager and if that doesn't work go to the General Manager and if that doesn't work, track down the dealerships owner. Their real quick to push for and take your money for extended warranties, but when you need help, it seems they all run and hide.

·
Super Moderator
29,300 Posts
Better Business Bureau, state consumer protection office, local TV stations consumer reporter are also options. Why would a Toyota dealer not be able to do an oil change? :)

·
Super Moderator
17,656 Posts
Here's another one to check the fine print about. The brochure for the Gold Plan doesn't mention anything about maintenance, but the fine print in the contract itself might. While the extended warranty doesn't allow you to repair the car at a third party without authorization, you may need to contact the issuer of the extended warranty to find out if that also includes maintenance.

Personally, I'd skip contacting the BBB. The BBB doesn't have any real power against shady business practices, and thus, only matters to businesses that care about their BBB ratings. Your state consumer protection office isn't likely to move on this with any gusto (if they bother to answer your calls/emails at all), either. But a local reporter might be interested in your story.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
The extended warranty, doesn’t cover oil changes. You can take your smart car, anywhere, and have that preformed.
In there Express oil and lube. The Toyota, dealership probably doesn’t have the oil filter available for a smart car.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The extended warranty, doesn’t cover oil changes. You can take your smart car, anywhere, and have that preformed.
In there Express oil and lube. The Toyota, dealership probably doesn’t have the oil filter available for a smart car.
They must have had an oil filter last year when they changed the oil themselves.
Going to call Mercedes tomorrow and see what the cost is for an oil change....Express oil and lube places can not change my oil I looked all in my area and no one will.

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
87 Posts
They must have had an oil filter last year when they changed the oil themselves.
Going to call Mercedes tomorrow and see what the cost is for an oil change....Express oil and lube places can not change my oil I looked all in my area and no one will.
Well, that would be 150 or 200 around here. If you order a filter, I m sure some local shop would do the oil.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, that would be 150 or 200 around here. If you order a filter, I m sure some local shop would do the oil.
Well since the oil was changed at 19,575 and I am at 21,000 I am not due for oil change until almost 30,000, if it to be changed every 10,000 miles...why car and car fax say oil change due is not making sense. Will reset car and go from there and will check oil level.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Well since the oil was changed at 19,575 and I am at 21,000 I am not due for oil change until almost 30,000, if it to be changed every 10,000 miles...why car and car fax say oil change due is not making sense. Will reset car and go from there and will check oil level.
The car's service reminder is calculated on time not miles. That is why your car is notifying you that you need to change your oil.
Just change your oil per 10,000 mile rule and you will be fine. Just don't forget to check it in between oil changes for the proper amount.

·
Registered
2015 smart Fortwo Passion Coupe
4 Posts
I had a similar issue with CarMax. There was no history on my car, the service alarm said it was 50 days behind, CarMax would not tell me if they did any maintenance, and they said the limited warranty would not cover any simple maintenance. I ended up redoing the oil and filter even though they were new just so I knew the latest maintenance and put the proper oil filter on (the one on the car was sticking out). I just wrote in the book that I changed it at ~22k miles so next will be at ~32k.

Reactions: Jo e Lefors

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Cagney57, here’s the facts. someone traded your smart car in for a new Toyota. Toyota only services, Toyota vehicles. They don’t have trained technicians, parts, or software to work on your used car. If you had bought your used car at a Honda Kia, Nissan dealership etc. They would suggest the same thing. Not sure why your bad mouthing that dealership.

You took out a a extended warranty, it does not cover basic maintenance on a smart car. Such as oil changes tire rotation air filters spark plugs, wipers lights batteries etc. The dealership is not going to go out, to buy a smart car one oil filter, To change the oil in your car. That’s why they suggested the MB/smart dealership. That goes for any used brand used car they sell.

You might want to have Basic maintenance, done at your local MB dealership. Which will cost you an arm and a leg. There are plenty of independent foreign car shops, probably in your area. See if you have a Christian Brothers Automotive, in your city. They are very reputable. They work on all brand vehicles. We been using there services for years. They are across portions of the country. Here’s one located in Avon, Ohi.

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
87 Posts
If you are certain it was changed, just reset the service indicator. It can be done from the steering wheel.

·
Super Moderator
17,656 Posts
The service indicator works based on mileage and time. Services are expected to be performed every 10,000 miles or 365 days, whichever occurs first. When you go over, it should indicate the miles or days you're overdue.

Was the oil change at 19,000 miles done a year ago? If so, that's why it's asking for an oil change. If it hasn't been a year since the oil was last changed, then whoever changed the oil failed to reset the counter. :)

Reactions: jwight

·
Registered
554 Posts
This may sound stupid.... The filter on a 453 is a sock type in a plastic can. The oil is synthetic.... Why can't you elicit the help of a savvy tech school student. It'd be a win win. I personally do my own oil changes. Since I don't want to contribute to Mother Being since we were orphaned.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This may sound stupid.... The filter on a 453 is a sock type in a plastic can. The oil is synthetic.... Why can't you elicit the help of a savvy tech school student. It'd be a win win. I personally do my own oil changes. Since I don't want to contribute to Mother Being since we were orphaned.
No tech school in my area...wish there was, I can not even get Toyota to tell me what oil they used when they changed it last year...after this last repair a couple months ago they had MB do, they are treating me like Typhoid Mary.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I see now that they are passing the buck to Mercedes even though Mercedes did not sell me the car nor the extended warranty....and if I have anyone else work on it it will void the warranty.
Guess they are going to continue to give me crap for another year or so......I think I need an attorney....but am broke.
What a pain!!!!!!!!
I mentioned in one of your other threads, but I'll reiterate it....
I am not an attorney; however, I have hired my fair share of them over the years. In almost every case, my out of pocket in such situations was $0.00 as the attorney takes their cut from the settlement if they think it's worth their while to persue. It's probably good to speak with a couple of them; like any professional service they each have their own skill and specialty so finding the good ones takes a little work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts