Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Several bags of clothing and toiletries, some hand tools, will fill the cooler with food to take to the cabin. It’s about 200 miles door to door from our home to our cabin. Drove it without the trailer, got 44.74 mpg.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the smallest highway-legal trailer I could buy at Northern Tool. Yours is way cooler. But I bought mine to haul bulk mulch, gravel, soil, and things to the landfill. May I ask where you found it??

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jack,
Any motorcycle shop can get them. Base price for one with no options and paint is about $3600.00 I got mine when I bought a trike. Sold that trike, new owner didn’t want the trailer. I now have a Harley trike with a trailer hitch so I can use it on either one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Love it! We bought a hitch for our first ED smart. We never installed it as we were leasing it. We did then lease our next Smart a EQ, we just bought that out. Even though we have now been through three batteries, yes the big ones.

Our intent was to always pull a clean inverter generator so we had our own charging station "tag along" with us. Now with the interest in Electric Cars and plug in hybrids hogging up the chargers (they don't need) we could charge enroute.

Busy on some other projects but will report back if we can ever get to it.

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
519 Posts
I found this one, years ago. Admittedly the only time I towed it with the smart was to get it home before rebuilding it.
Sold it months later to a couple on a Harley Trike.

Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
163 Posts
A lot of owners in Mainland Europe colour code their trailer or teardrop caravan to that of their Smart car, making it look very fancy indeed. Unfortunately for us muppets who stick accordingly to UK rules where we cannot pull anything with a Smart car on public roads, this reduces the fun for us as we cannot tow at all :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I don’t understand the wisdom in that rule or law. Although… several years ago, I visited my homeland of Poland. My cousin picked up my mom and myself from the airport. In ten minutes in the passenger seat, I asked my mom to tell our cousin that if I couldn’t drive I wasn’t going anywhere!!
They drive like they have a death wish!!!
My cousin obliged me and said “ well, you drive a fire engine for a living, I guess you know how to drive”!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, had my maiden voyage with my little trailer this past holiday weekend!
I thought I made a mathematical error when I checked my gas mileage. On a two hundred mile trip to our cabin in Northern Michigan, without the trailer, I averaged 44.74 mpg at around 70-75mph. Not to shabby. So this past weekend I I took the same trip,“Upnordt”, with the trailer behind it. I averaged 43.43mpg! I’ll check the return mileage this morning when I go to fill up. Just in a quick look, I used about half tank of fuel in 200 miles. (That was with using the a/c intermittently along the way! )

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, had my maiden voyage with my little trailer this past holiday weekend!
I thought I made a mathematical error when I checked my gas mileage. On a two hundred mile trip to our cabin in Northern Michigan, without the trailer, I averaged 44.74 mpg at around 70-75mph. Not to shabby. So this past weekend I I took the same trip,“Upnordt”, with the trailer behind it. I averaged 43.43mpg! I’ll check the return mileage this morning when I go to fill up. Just in a quick look, I used about half tank of fuel in 200 miles. (That was with using the a/c intermittently along the way! )
Returning mileage was 37.54mpg. Could have been I wasn’t as close to any semi trucks so didn’t get that drafting effect? Traffic was quite a bit heavier on the Fourth than it was the Thursday before. Still, I cannot complain about the mileage!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Returning mileage was 37.54mpg. Could have been I wasn’t as close to any semi trucks so didn’t get that drafting effect? Traffic was quite a bit heavier on the Fourth than it was the Thursday before. Still, I cannot complain about the mileage!
Also remember, i was pulling my little trailer also!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts