Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been checking out many of the mods for the Smart and I'm finding that most of the body mods are pretty tame. A fender flare, slightly lower front lip, etc.

I've several ideas for panel upgrades on the Smart. As much as I'd like to make them myself, I don't have the equipment nor the expertise.

What could we do if we have a great idea for a mod? Would a plastics injection company be able to knock out a few samples? Are the mod makers out there open to trying new ideas? Is it possible for the home mechanic to create new Smart panels?

·
Registered
375 Posts
To answer your first question...

Yes, it is entirely possible for a home-shop mechanic to create your own panels/mods/what have you.

That is how myself and many others got their start in the industry.

The car has been on our shores for less than a year, things take time. You can't expect mods to just suddenly appear.

And mold costs are crazy expensive, which is why you see more fibreglass components than ABS. A small mold for an air scoop can cost upwards of $10,000 USD, in plastics there is no such thing as a small run unless you are making them on a EDM machine, which required very deep pockets.

What ideas do you have? I'll give you my thoughts on them and let you know if I think they are viable.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The body kits are nice from Kuhl, though wide body designs like those from RADO, Kaminari and Wings West would make the car look bolder. The rear spoiler needs to be more agressive like a SPOON civic htchbk and maybe adding an add'l mid-wing just below the glass would work like I have seen on a few cars in the last 10 yrs. And the entire LIP kit needs to be at least 1" lower.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The body kits are nice from Kuhl, though wide body designs like those from RADO, Kaminari and Wings West would make the car look bolder. The rear spoiler needs to be more agressive like a SPOON civic htchbk and maybe adding an add'l mid-wing just below the glass would work like I have seen on a few cars in the last 10 yrs. And the entire LIP kit needs to be at least 1" lower.
Sounds like a bowl of rice...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it is entirely possible for a home-shop mechanic to create your own panels/mods/what have you.
I'm hoping to do so... Once I've actually got a Smart in my hands.

The car has been on our shores for less than a year, things take time. You can't expect mods to just suddenly appear.
Actually, it's been in Canada for a while, and in Europe even longer. I don't expect stuff to appear overnight, but it's just that what I am finding doesn't seem to be all that exciting.

What ideas do you have? I'll give you my thoughts on them and let you know if I think they are viable.
How about a combination of front fenders, hood and bumper to give the Smart a more agressive look?

Or, replace the rear fenders with something that has some "fins" and custom LED lighting?

How about some wheel well skirts?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hey, I resemble that remark! I went with the Smart Mann kit fron Smartune. I will have pictures up soon, all I have left to put on is the side skirts and front spoiler.

·
Registered
624 Posts
'Plastic mold' and 'knock out a few parts' will never be in the same sentence! I know a little about the plastic industry, non-automotive, and know how much molds costs....even offshore. Fiberglass and and even carbon fiber is better for short runs. I am sure there will be some neat parts coming.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Give it some more time. Its only been about 6 months. Usually takes about a good year almost before quality aftermarket stuff starts hitting the shelves.

-Matt T.

·
Registered
175 Posts
hold on to your hats... and your wallets...personally i think its crazy but here goes.

OFFICIAL BRABUS
FRONT SPOILER
REAR APRON
LOGO FUEL CAP
SIDE SKIRTS
DOURBLE LAMPS
16" FRONT AND 17" REAR RIMS
FRONT AND REAR SPORT SHOKE ABSORBERS WITH SPRINGS

(EXHAUST KIT NOT INCL BECAUSE EURO ENGINE IS DIFFERENT)

DELIVERED TO ANY 48 STATE ADDRESS

$5800.00

AVAILABLE DELIVERED 3 WEEKS.

includes euro/$ conversion, DHL from germany to your home, usa customs

please dont shoot the messenger !!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts