Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 584 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Due to popular demand, the SMART Car Nationals are back!
From July 10 -14, 2013 in Westminster Colorado. The event itself will be held at the Westin Hotel in Westminster Colorado, just a couple of blocks from SMART Center Westminster who is helping put on this event. Right now the details are sparse, but more will be posted once we get more organized.
PM me if you would like to help organize this event, I won't refuse some extra help!:)

Nationals website is now live for registration and other info: https://smartcarnatls.com/

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Gah! This is the first seriously big event close enough to me that I could attend, but I'll be backpacking in SW Colorado at the time! :bangwall:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
2013 Nationals:

How about seeing if you can have some rental smarts available at the airport or nearby for those of us on the West and East coast? I think having these rental smarts availiable will increase attendance at this event.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
Gah! This is the first seriously big event close enough to me that I could attend, but I'll be backpacking in SW Colorado at the time! :bangwall:
This is in 2013. :) ColoradoKiwi forgot to put the year in his post. :eek: Hopefully knowing over a year in advance you can keep from scheduling a backpacking trip the same week.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Ah, then it all works out. I'll be there!

The backpacking is with a summer camp, and if I'm going in 2013 it'd have to be as a counselor... not thinking that'd be great job for me, even though the camp is awesome in pretty much every possible way...

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Is Westminster, south of Boulder Co? Nice to take a drive to Rocky Mt. National Park.
Been to some super large mall in Westminster. Good excuse, spend a day on Pearl St. too.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
Is Westminster, south of Boulder Co? Nice to take a drive to Rocky Mt. National Park.
Been to some super large mall in Westminster. Good excuse, spend a day on Pearl St. too.
It is Southeast of Boulder by about 30 miles. It is actually one of Denver's suburbs to the North.

A trip to Rocky Mountain National Park would be fun. It would probably take most of the day. I'm thinking people would want to stop in Estes Park as well as some stops in the park. Boulder Canyon.Golden Gate Canyon State Park are great. The drive up Lookout Mountain is lots of fun. I've done it and Boulder Canyon on a motorcycle, loads of fun. I'm sure they will be in a smart.

I have an idea the Denver folks can come up with plenty of fun drives for us. We are ex-Colorado residents (North of Denver) so have driven many of the mountain roads.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
We always stayed over in Louisville, the 1st night before going camping to the National Park. I hate the drive across Kansas. Only been as far as Hayes Kansas, in the smart. The Flint hill took the toll of the smart, got blown around, and had no power going up the hills. Long boring drive, till you get to the mountains. Boulder is a beautiful city to visit. Always wanted to drive the smart in the mountains, of Colorado. Last time we were in Estes Park, there were a lot of smart cars around. 450's and 451's.

Nothing across Kansas, but wind mills..........

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
I-70 is just a means to get from point A to point B across Kansas quickly. The times we've gotten off the interstate it has been much more interesting.
Our smart does not have troubles on the hills across Kansas. We did 70 to 80 the whole way both times we have made that drive in the smart.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
This is on my calendar. We'll see what pans out. I just mapped it out, and it's 1124 miles from my house one way! Talk about a road trip. A little over a year away, and I'm about to pass 100K on my smart, and I average about 27K a year, so by next July, I'll have about 130K on it heading to Colorado.... Cool!!!:D:D:D

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We are most certainly planning on some drives in the area. There is a really scenic route that is called the Peak to Peak highway that ends up in Estes Park, but the road there showcases some of the prettier parts of the Rockies. You'll also get a good view of Longs Peak at over 14,000 is quite a mountain.
If you really want to test your SMARTie, take the drive up to Mt. Evans. It is the highest paved road in the U.S.
We are also planning on having a photo shoot at the Red Rocks amphitheater. That should be pretty amazing seeing a whole big group of SMARTies framed by the famous Red Rocks!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since the 2013 Smart Car Natls convention is something that we want all you Smarties out there to enjoy and be able to walk away with information and having had the time of your life, the planning committee wants your input! After all, this convention is for YOU! The Smart Car Enthusiasts! Therefore, what types of “Tech-Talks” or “How Too” classes would you like us to present? What information would you like us to find out for you? What types of events would you be interested in attending that we can plan for you to enjoy? Please give us your ideas so that we can make sure that you drive away thinking that going to Denver is well worth your time and enjoyment? If you are too shy to present your ideas on this forum, please feel free to e-mail us with your ideas at: [email protected].

Thank you Smart Car Community for helping us make the 2013 Smart Car Natls, an event to remember and talk about for years to come! Also, any of you that would like to volunteer to be on a committee for this event, or work at the convention for a few hours, please let us know. We will need many helpers to man things such as the registration desk, the table to sign-up for various extracurricular events, dinner party, give our raffle tickets, etc.

Sincerely,

The Organizing Committee

1 - 20 of 584 Posts