Smart Car of America Forum banner

561 - 580 of 584 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Skyline Drive near Canon City.
This is a mile and a half drive at the crest of a small mountain ridge.
It drops off sharply on both sides of a very narrow one car width paved road. We were too terrified to take pictures on the scariest parts. I was in severe panic mode and drove only 1 mile an hour to the point the triangle with the ! mark did not allow power to the wheels.
I race cars bumper to bumper over 100mph.
I have jumped off a cliff with a parachute.
I have been shot at multiple times at close range.
I have ridden along in a stunt plane.
But I have never been as terrified as I was on the last half of this mile and a half horror drive.
Do you do sport skydiving? Did you ever jump the New River Gorge Bridge?
I've done the passenger of an aerobatics plane, it took a week to wipe the big smirk off my face! I've made well over 500 sport skydives, but never a base jump. Now I regret just talking about dogs with you! You are far more interesting than just a veterinarian!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
...could of use them on this trip...

...thinking OUTLOUD....Hummmmmmm...next mod????

...got a pic of those bad puppys Commander???

jetfuel....need horn to go faster....yep...next mod

I was thinking just like you, Jet. But this morning at our club meeting I met Jeremy and heard his train horns.:eek: All I can say is wow, shear sound pressure. If your gonna go big, you may as well go all the way! Don't know If I have enough room because my car is smaller, but I'm going to see.

·
DrKillerBee
1,488 Posts
Dora,
We have paraglided but not tried sport skydiving. Not doing it anymore after Jan crashed through the trees and crushed the 2X4 staircase to the pump house in the Capilano Reservoir while paragliding off Grouse Mountain above Vancouver. I have a great fear of heights but try to challenge that fear yearly. Once lost my car keys in the desert near Las Vegas flying upside down in a open biplane...they fell out of my pocket...I was not the pilot but the passenger. I really met my match this time on something that others will do without pause. It was panic city with hyperventilation and the feeling that I might as well just fly off the road and get it over with as the driving was excruciating. The smart sensed something was amiss and shut off the power at one time at the hairpin at the end. I turned it off and then back on and had power but by that time I could have coasted down the hill at the end. It might be easy for you but for me it will never happen again as even today I feel traumatized... probably because I chose to do this and I put Jan at risk.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,972 Posts
DrKillerBee, I think Jim and I drove that road years ago in a car bigger than the smart. I can understand your trauma. We only did it the one time, once was enough.

7 Posts
I just want to thank everyone for coming out, it was nice to meet everyone I had a chance to (you included Jetfuel) as far as everyone I didn't get a chance to meet... I'm sorry, I was wandering around the vendor area for a few hours on the 12th and I was at the banquet as well (you may remember me as being the only person to stand up when Smart Center Westminster was thanked ((thank you Tia and Russ!)) )

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #573
Vegas to Denver and back to Vegas, all of the drives (except Pikes Peak) less than 200 miles on the smart....
You got that many miles on it, and it still runs? I thought if you got more than 20 miles at any one time you had to strip it down into pieces!:D

561 - 580 of 584 Posts