Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just picked up an '08 Cabrio in orange (or whatever they call that color. It's orange though).

I'm a convert, it's a blast. I have a 1969 Ford F-250 that up till now was my only vehicle, but I was getting 2-5mpg on my commute so I needed a more efficient option... Enter the Smart!

I'm from Colorado, the Western Slope most recently, but am now stationed in Virginia for a few years. The smart is perfect for my weekly trips to D.C. (given, I get some odd looks, the Smart isn't exactly what people expect to be a soldiers car haha)

Great site, I look forward to using it. I am a mechanic by trade, so I do all my own work, I'm sure this site will be super helpful. The biggest selling point of the smart was that it was mechanically interesting to me, so it's something new to tinker on!

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
Welcome to the SCOA. The smart is fun to drive and even more fun to modify. Because of your commute on highways the first modification should be wider wheels and tires on the front of your smart. It looks better but more importantly it makes the handling and safety on the highway far superior to stock. Wind and trucks don't blow you around nearly as much and minor imperfections in the road surface don't make your smart dart right or left.
A cold air intake (Boesch type from Boesch or Smart Madness) will make the car a little faster but it will sound and feel a lot faster.
That should give you a couple of things to do as you start to enjoy your new ride.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome sir!
I also love cruising around my area (Orlando) in my smart and the accompanying looks/stares/points are fun to watch. On what killer bee said, I'm thinking the front wheel swap will be the next thing I do to my smart. My first mods where to the sound system and building a solid rear deck lid that keeps prying eyes out of what little hatch space we actually have. (It also holds a fair amount of weight...)
*Shameless plug* I also just added the area451 cruise control unit which I love. It was easy to install and works GREAT!
(Speculation) If you wait around, Steve MAY offer it again at its discounted price... if there is interest...
All of that aside, welcome to your 'new' car and to the forums. Keep us posted!
-Chance

·
Super Moderator
28,460 Posts
FWIW, my experience has been the smart is a perfectly good highway car with the stock wheel/tire setup. Add larger versions if you want, it's your money. :wink:

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,093 Posts
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the ride from your neighbor to the west! :) I'll also agree with DrKB that one of the best mods is the front wheel/tire upgrade to match the rears.

If you're interested in tracking and sharing your fuel mileage, we can always use a few more smarts on Fuelly.com.

Check out my YouTube smart videos when you get a chance to see some event photos and video, especially the "Two year ownership" and "2011 Orlando" videos.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts