Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have the following problem. I drive a Smart 451 1.0 61 PS and I noticed that when the car is forced at lower speeds, as well as when the temperature rises from city driving when moving in the first gear jerk (impact is felt). Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
184 Posts
Ahh... the ol' banging into gear thing. (I think that is what you are referring to here).
Suffered that for years (on and off) before getting educated here. (And getting a 2016 that has a better transmission).
There are many threads about this if you do some searching, but apparently the first thing to try is disconnecting the battery for 15+ minutes, which will reset the transmission and it will "re-learn" how to do things without a bang.

Obviously you may have bigger problems, but I'm inclined to try the reset thing first. It's free.

My 2008 used to do this after being "ridden hard and put away wet" so to speak. I would find that eventually it would settle down. Something about every 30 engine starts and shutdowns the system automatically readjusts to the most recent driving habits... or something like that.

Just my $.02.
Jim

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
184 Posts
P.S. ... there are apparently some parts (shift actuators) that might need lubrication as well, but in 189,000 miles I never did such a thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll take the terminals off the battery tomorrow and see what the condition will be after that. Thank you for the answer, it means any advice to me, because I really struggled with this car.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hi guys, I have the following problem. I drive a Smart 451 1.0 61 PS and I noticed that when the car is forced at lower speeds, as well as when the temperature rises from city driving when moving in the first gear jerk (impact is felt). Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Thanks in advance! :)
When you say "Forced at lower speeds”. Try this instead to change your mind set of thinking it's the cars fault and make it a driver issue. Say "when I over rev the car in 1st to second and or second to 3rd shifts the trans mission reacts by banging into gear afterwards". Then you can associate your driving behavior with the condition. Everytime you do that in 1st or second gear that is going to happen. Just apologize to your car and pull the brake level one click to minimize the impact of the bang, until you can park and do the relearn procedure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is that, I would like it to be the most, but I doubt it. It has already cost me a lot, so I'm just afraid it didn't clutch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts