Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be moving from Chicago to LA and eventually settling down in Palm Springs.

I've been trying to think about what to do with my Smart Car. It's a 2008 Passion Bumble Bee and only has 7,504 miles on it.

I use it only for errands in Chicago hence the low milage. I work downtown and commute to work via public transportation.

We've been trying to figure out what to do with the car. I had thought about driving it to CA, and have also thought about shipping it out there. I'm a bit concerned about driving on highways. I'm never on a highway here since everyplace we go is via local streets.

It's my only car. It's a real puzzle.

Any input would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
...ship everything you own but drive the car there ....you'll freaking love it...take some time and enjoy the ride...plan your trip in such a way that you get to see the most beautiful places that this great country of ours has to offer....and when you get there you can still have a car with excellent MPG...
...remember...is California...

Jetfuel....I would....

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Drive your car to Palm Springs:

I concur with Jet. I think the smart is a lot more fun to drive on the highway then in the city. When you get to Palm Springs, you will see other smart cars on the road. You can also join the So Cal Smarties at: www.meetup.com/socalsmarties. There is no charge to join & we are the largest smart car club in the US. Check us out and let us know what you decide to do. I would suggest you take the southerly route to avoid any snow storms at this time of year.

·
17,345 Posts
As a fellow Chicagoan I second the suggestion to drive. It'll be easy AND fun! :D

·
Registered
922 Posts
Either drive the Smart, get a U-Haul and a car trailer (not the front wheels only, a full trailer) or ship it.

Smarts are not heavy, should be easy to tow with a 14 footer, that's the smallest that has the proper hitch.

I just shipped a Car to Chicago from Virginia Beach, VA.
900 miles, $600 dollars. Company is based out by Chicago OHare airport. They did a great job.
I used a local Wal-Mart parking lot as a pick up point, and a football stadium as a drop off. Tons of room, near the highway, took 15 minutes each end.

Montway or the Highway? Calculate Shipping Cost Instantly!

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I'm a bit concerned about driving on highways. I'm never on a highway here since everyplace we go is via local streets.

It's my only car. It's a real puzzle.

Any input would be most appreciated.
The car does fine on the highway. I've done literally thousands of miles of Interstate in mine. Multiple thousand+ mile journeys. No problem.

Cruise control is a big plus. As is having some good tunes to help the miles go by.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i've only done long-drive with mine twice. Chicago to Saint Louis, and Chicago to Detroit.
And I love it! It's a fun vehicle to drive in the highway. You'll be surprise how stable it is driving next to larger vehicles.
I just wish i have long enough vacation days so i can drive it all the way down to Florida and back.

·
Registered
922 Posts
A suggestion...

Buy two rear rims and two rear 175 tires,
and put them on the front.

Your Smart will be more stable, and handle potholes and bumps better.

Save the original fronts, and use them as spare tires...

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Ship it. For $600-700 bucks. Our friends here in KC shipped theirs to LA a couple years ago. They have a bubble bee smart car too. Unless you like to have a couple day drive.

I driven to St. Louis from KC a couple times. KC to Hayes Kansas. KC to Eureka Springs Arkansas. Once to Chicago 8 hours. We had to stop in Des Moines Iowa. Not my idea of fun in the little smart car. 5 hours is the most I could take, driving her.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
When are you going? Depending on timing I could drive it out for you; wouldn't be a great trip in the middle of winter...:wink:

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I find that long trips in any car are painful to me in the tailbone area until I found the wedge shaped cushion with a cut out in the middle to take the pressure off of one's tailbone. PROBLEM SOLVED. I can drive all day with out what had been serious pain.
Now that I have experienced this, I would really like to have the seats modified with memory foam in a slot in the middle of the seat cushion. Once modified, the car would look stock but the pressure points would be gone.
I find my smart is fun to drive on trips. My partner, not so much due to arthritis.

·
Banned
682 Posts
My best advice...ship it!

The profile of the Smart is rather upright...causing it to be rather sensitive to windy conditions...your Smart can be very fatiguing to operate in adverse weather conditions at highway speeds!

Additionally...no spare tire...so replacing a blowout with a new tire...can set you back several days depending on where you're located!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I say drive it!!!!
The smart is WAY more comfy on the highway than it is in "city" traffic.
As for it being fatiguing in adverse weather....Not so. Its a very easy to drive car. My Subaru Forester is way more a handful in windy weather.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I've driven across the USA in a smart in February, no problems other than wishing I had cruise control at the time.

·
17,345 Posts
My best advice...ship it!

The profile of the Smart is rather upright...causing it to be rather sensitive to windy conditions...your Smart can be very fatiguing to operate in adverse weather conditions at highway speeds!

Additionally...no spare tire...so replacing a blowout with a new tire...can set you back several days depending on where you're located!
Come on, you make it sound like you can't drive a smart on the highway! :(

Plenty of smarts have been driven coast to coast without issue :)

·
Banned
682 Posts
Come on, you make it sound like you can't drive a smart on the highway! :(

Plenty of smarts have been driven coast to coast without issue :)
You guys are funny!

Anything is possible...but after driving a Smart for a couple of hours on the highway in windy & extremely rainy conditions...no more extended highway driving for me...

My Smart prefers the city pavement!

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I think the smarts have excellent control in the rain. I'd venture the suggest the smarts are the most stable small cars I've have ever driven in the rain, thanks entirely to Mercedes' Stability Control Program. It's more sophisticated than the typical Traction Control that many other cars have.

Heavy winds is a challenge at times due to a lack of horsepower. It's certainly not a muscle car. Thanks to the excellent smart car transmission, you can maximize the 70 horsepower through proper gear choice. It's easy to stick to the specific gear you need unlike in the standard heavy automatic that would make the car inoperable uphills and through high winds. Granted, the smart cars weakness is it could use more horsepower. But can it handle Chicago to L.A.? Easily.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I'm adventurous so I would seriously consider driving it.
Here are some issues which must be addressed: Do you have the time, so you can enjoy a trip of this type? In case you get tired, do you have a partner who could go with you and possibly fly back? Have you weighed the difference between sleeping, eating and gas costs vs. having the car shipped.
While the smart has a great heater, you may encounter lousy weather which will curtail your enthusiasm.
Are you an adventurous type who may or may not have issues with sitting hours on end.
If you don't have a cruise control you may regret driving this.
If you can answer such questions, you can easily decide what's best for you.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts